Baltic - Jewel of seas - distance from ports

Hi everyone - I will be on the JOS Baltic 8/11/10 - to anyone who has cruised the baltics, how far from the the dock to the ports in these cities?

Can you walk? Is transportaion easy to use?

Stockholm, Sweden

Gothenburg, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

Tallinn, Estonia

Thanks

Hi everyone - I will be on the JOS Baltic 8/11/10 - to anyone who has cruised the baltics, how far from the the dock to the ports in these cities?

Can you walk? Is transportaion easy to use?

Stockholm, Sweden

Gothenburg, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

Tallinn, Estonia

Thanks

Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn will all have shuttles at the port. Can't remember if free or not. Never in Gothenburg.

Took this cruise two years ago. The ports were very interesting. Walking is relative to you. My wife and I are "walkers" so a 15 minutes is no big deal. Also we do not stroll when we are going somewhere. Not that we power walk, just a good pace.

Tallen: Is basically a walk away from the ship. You're going to walk around the city anyway. Its basically a flat walk, where the city has some good hills if you want to explore it all.

Stockholm: The city is built around a irregular bay (see a map). The dock is 'around the bay' from the city so the walk is significant (30-40 minutes but flat). There is a convienent water taxi that gets you from place to place including the ship. Depending on TOD and destination, the line for the water taxi can get long, so plan accordingly.

Helsinki: Its a shuttle bus to the city. If I recall. Dont think I would try to walk it. Plus the actual city is not as exciting (tourist wise) as Stockholm. A tour bus is recommended to enjoy the area. I think we did the hop-on-hop-off bus which has a stopping point right at the ship.

We did not stop at Gothenburg, but did stop in Oslo (downtown area is very walkable), but some of other sites is a bus, water taxi, or trolly ride.

Hope this helps.

Archived