Great beaches in Playa?

suse

The whole water front in PDC is one big beautiful beach. Many beach bars with lots of good food and drinks, shade, tables and lounge chairs. Just find a spot that looks good to you and enjoy. It is a $13 taxi ride from the port of Calica and if you are a little more adventurous a 7 peso (60 cents) Colectivo ride. The Colectivos are vans that have set routes. To catch a Colectivo you have to walk out to the main road and flag one down as they pass. In PDC catch one back to the port area next to the bus station. It does help to have some Spanish when riding the Colectivos. You will need your ships card and ID to exit and enter the port area on foot.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree about Akumal. This probably is our favorite beach of all the places we visited (Hawaii, Grand Caymen, etc.). The food was reasonable and the turtles and sting rays were out of this world!

I've heard that Akumal is a GREAT place to spend the day. Does Carnival have an excursion there or do you book it yourself or can you just show up for the afternoon? Thanks! We'll be in there the first part of December and I can't wait!

Carnival does not list Akumal specifically in any of their excursions. And it's not a place you need to be on a tour to go to. Just get in a cab and tell the driver you want to go to Akumal. There are a few dive shops and restaurants there, spend a few $$ there they will gladly call you a cab when you are ready to leave.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure how far Akumal is from the pier. We took the colectivo to Akumal from PDC. There are two place on the beach where you can rent snorkeling equipment. They also have lockers and showers. PLEASE DON'T LET TOO MANY PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS PLACE. I would go early in the morning. The food was also good. I don't believe they rent chairs on the beach. You just bring your towel and lay under a palm tree.

Another option may be to visit the beaches around Tulum.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG the beaches in PDC have been made so much better since we were there in April 2009. Apparently they dredged sand and shot it onto the beaches and made them at least 50 yards wide all along PDC and Playacar. I was told this affected the reefs, but none of the ones I dove were covered with sand. This past week I dove Mok Che, El Jardines, Cuebo Pargo, Tortugas and Sabalos and all were in excellent condition.

The Akumal Beach sounds way past wonderful, but when I tried Googling it to learn more about it, see photos, etc., all i got were links to some all-inclusive.How can I find out more information about the Akumal you guys are recommending? I want to make sure I get my family to the right one. Thanks for your help!

The Akumal Beach sounds way past wonderful, but when I tried Googling it to learn more about it, see photos, etc., all i got were links to some all-inclusive.How can I find out more information about the Akumal you guys are recommending? I want to make sure I get my family to the right one. Thanks for your help!

Loco Gringo has more info on Akumal.

Just tell the taxi driver "Playa de Akumal, por favor". There is a taxi stand right where the entrance road meets the waterfront when you want to head back.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Dude! :D

I am writing this down and doing exactly what you suggest. Will report back in a few weeks.

Just found Loco Gringo. Thanks again...

Bring your own or rent some snorkel gear from the dive shop on the beach next to Lol-Ha. You're nearly guaranteed to encounter sea turtles in the bay.

The sand was trucked in at Playa del Carmen to try and restore back to pre-Wilma days. The beach was better than pre-Wilma but the April 2010 changed the beaches again -still good but not as good as right after the restoration project

• 2 months later...
The whole water front in PDC is one big beautiful beach. Many beach bars with lots of good food and drinks, shade, tables and lounge chairs. Just find a spot that looks good to you and enjoy. It is a $13 taxi ride from the port of Calica and if you are a little more adventurous a 7 peso (60 cents) Colectivo ride. The Colectivos are vans that have set routes. To catch a Colectivo you have to walk out to the main road and flag one down as they pass. In PDC catch one back to the port area next to the bus station. It does help to have some Spanish when riding the Colectivos. You will need your ships card and ID to exit and enter the port area on foot.

About how far is the walk to the main road? Would my daughter and I be OK walking by ourselves? Do you need pesos for the collectivo?

• 3 weeks later...
Loco Gringo has more info on Akumal.

Just tell the taxi driver "Playa de Akumal, por favor". There is a taxi stand right where the entrance road meets the waterfront when you want to head back.

We will be in Cozumel the same day as 8 other ships so thinking about taking the Ferry to Playa....how far is this beach from the Ferry stop?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Archived