Travelling with a C-PAP machines on NCL

mustangbonnie

Mine uses probably 1 cup of water every 2 nights...so....7 days on a cruise ship equals about 2 of the bottles. Not sure I'm willing to give up my suitcase space :o :D

I might just use the ships water one night and see what happens. Maybe LOL

I leave on May 9th, I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens to my humidifier

Maybe a troll.

Here is my minimal research on how water is made - I would suggest that the water is as good or better than bottled distilled:

"Modern cruise ships have an insatiable thirst for fresh water. Some of today's biggest cruise ships, like the Grand Princess, use more than 260,000 gallons of fresh water every day. Rather than carry all this water from the embarkation port, or rely on local ports of call, the newest state-of-the-art cruise ships transform salty sea water into fresh drinking water by a process known as desalination.

The desalination process on a cruise ship uses either flash evaporators or osmosis. Flash evaporators boil sea water and re-condense the steam vapor, producing fresh drinking water. This method is similar to the natural water cycle, where sea water is heated by the sun, rises as steam to form clouds, and then falls back to earth as rain. The second method, osmosis, filters sea water through a fine membrane to separate pure water from salt and other minerals. Cruise ships do not desalinate water near ports or close to land, because coastal waters are the most contaminated."

The first method is the method that companies use for bottled distilled water. I would think for a short term "bottled, distilled water" is not needed. At least, according to one of my employees that is well versed in CPAP machines.

This article says the water is remineralized: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

I'm not going to argue it, because I'm not qualified. I daresay no one else here is either.

Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps someone needs distilled water for medical reasons, not just for keeping crud out of the humidifier? Yup, it's their own responsibility to care for themselves. But no matter how you cut it, it's down right carpy of NCL for telling the OP (and me too) to go to "you know where."

Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps someone needs distilled water for medical reasons, not just for keeping crud out of the humidifier? Yup, it's their own responsibility to care for themselves. But no matter how you cut it, it's down right carpy of NCL for telling the OP (and me too) to go to "you know where."

Did it every occur that if someone needs something for medical reasons, perhaps it's that someone's responsibility to provide it him- or herself? When I used CPAP and felt I needed distilled water, I bought it and brought it onboard with me. It would never have occurred to me to expect a cruise line to take care of it for me. What if someone needed hydrogen peroxide to bathe a healing wound? Should the ship be expected to provide it? Or the bandages?

No one told you to go to "you know where." They told you--correctly in my opinion--it was your responsibility, not theirs, to provide for your own pre-existing medical needs.

Mine uses probably 1 cup of water every 2 nights...so....7 days on a cruise ship equals about 2 of the bottles. Not sure I'm willing to give up my suitcase space :o :D

I might just use the ships water one night and see what happens. Maybe LOL

I leave on May 9th, I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens to my humidifier

Then bring two water bottles filled with distilled water. Bring it aboard the ship in a carry on bag. Can't possibly weigh more than two pounds...

Or is two pounds to heavy to lift?

I bring mine aboard with my prescriptions, Crystal drink tubs, and my camera; not to mention a few other items. I doubt my carry on weighs five pounds.

However, using the ship's water has worked for me in the past. Others claim the same, no effect on the CPAP machine. The ship's water is very clean....

How difficult is it for a person to fill an empty water bottle with distilled water?

One does not need to bring a gallon of distilled water. One can carry on a water bottle easily. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out...

Not so easy. You can't put it in your carry-on if you are flying. And if there is a bottle in your checked luggage, ship xray isn't sure if it is smuggled booze or not so you'll have to wait in line at the 'naughty room' to show that it is simply distilled water, not alcohol.

Possible to bring it on? YES. Easily? NO.

This article says the water is remineralized: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

I'm not going to argue it, because I'm not qualified. I daresay no one else here is either.

If a person needs distilled water for medical reasons I'd still not expect NCL to have to provide it anymore than I'd expect NCL to provide pills for high blood pressure.

If distilled water is needed for medical reasons, than the passenger will have to pack some in smaller bottles, just as they have to pack other medication to bring with them.

Did it every occur that if someone needs something for medical reasons, perhaps it's that someone's responsibility to provide it him- or herself? When I used CPAP and felt I needed distilled water, I bought it and brought it onboard with me. It would never have occurred to me to expect a cruise line to take care of it for me. What if someone needed hydrogen peroxide to bathe a healing wound? Should the ship be expected to provide it? Or the bandages?

No one told you to go to "you know where." They told you--correctly in my opinion--it was your responsibility, not theirs, to provide for your own pre-existing medical needs.

The cruise line is in the Hospitality business. Is is VERY reasonable to assume they will help with logistics. NCL USED to supply distilled water. Many of the cruisers on my next cruise have booked flights through the cruise line. As such, they're coming in the same day, and it will be difficult for them to find a way to pick up water. For Pete's sake, a few months ago someone asked NCL to get some special beer on board that they don't carry, and they agreed. I'll be delighted to pay 10 bucks a gallon just for the convenience. I guess I have to ask for beer to put into the CPAP.

What the NCL apologists won't admit, or turn a blind eye to is that NCL is starting to take a hard line with their customer base. It's going to cost them. With the logistics NCL already has in place I can not believe for 1 second that it would take more than a 15 second phone call for them to arrange to have a couple of cases of water on board. Like I said, I'm willing to pay through the nose just for the convenience. They've drawn a line, and that's their choice. But some day they're going to take something away from the apologists that they'll miss. I'd love to see the whining then. Then again, maybe I'll skip it.

They told you--correctly in my opinion--it was your responsibility, not theirs, to provide for your own pre-existing medical needs.

LOL, now how would *YOU* know what they told me? BTW, they mentioned nothing about responsibilities.

If a person needs distilled water for medical reasons I'd still not expect NCL to have to provide it anymore than I'd expect NCL to provide pills for high blood pressure.

If distilled water is needed for medical reasons, than the passenger will have to pack some in smaller bottles, just as they have to pack other medication to bring with them.

Okay, so you're not convinced then. With the changes NCL has been making the past few months, I can see why so many refer to it as Wal-mart cruising. NCL started high in my book, but just keeps slipping.

LOL, now how would *YOU* know what they told me?

I know what they told you because YOU told the world what they told you--in your posting above. Here it is, because you obviously aren't paying attention to what you write: But no matter how you cut it, it's down right carpy of NCL for telling the OP (and me too) to go to "you know where."

NCL shouldn't have to tell you it's your responsibility to take care of your medical needs. Who else's responsibility would you think it is?

I know what they told you because YOU told the world what they told you--in your posting above. Here it is, because you obviously aren't paying attention to what you write: But no matter how you cut it, it's down right carpy of NCL for telling the OP (and me too) to go to "you know where."

NCL shouldn't have to tell you it's your responsibility to take care of your medical needs. Who else's responsibility would you think it is?

Baloney

I think the OP punked us all anyway

I am new to Cruise Critic and appreciate the help. Both of the people who will be using the C-PAP machines find without the humidifier they both suffer terrible headaches so a working humidifier is necessary. I am trying to come up with a solution to this.

As for the comment about not cruising from someone I will be cruising but on Princess they have no problem supplying distilled water. Yes we pay extra for it but I would rather pay than go through the hassle of trying to get it before sailing.

I can not bring it on board with me. I am flying in from Canada and must clear customs which will not allow liquids. Then booked a transfer from NCL to the ship and they have told me they will not stop. I have no way of bringing the water with me. Simple as that.

It was a full moon last night.

Wonder which of the islands off the British Columbia coast they are from?

Cheers

Dennis

I live on Vancouver Island now but have also lived on Salt Spring Island. I am not a troll as some have implied. I was just stating information. I suppose unless you are a seasoned poster your opinions and questions are not welcome. I have learned my lesson and will not post again. I have no idea what OP means or why some would be rude. I do not spend every waking moment on the internet but I do use it for research. When I fround Cruise Critic I thought what a wonderful sight for information. I still think it is a great site with lots of information but won't put up another post. As I stated before I thank the people who provided me with useful information about the power bar etc. You all have a wonderful time cruising. Bonnie

I use a c-pap but luckily I don't have the humidifier -- thank you for the suggestion to take the power bar -- its such a pain figuring out how to get everything charged in time for me to go to sleep with the c-pap. I'll pick on up before our next cruise at the end of May -- goin' to Alaska!

I live on Vancouver Island now but have also lived on Salt Spring Island. I am not a troll as some have implied. I was just stating information. I suppose unless you are a seasoned poster your opinions and questions are not welcome. I have learned my lesson and will not post again. I have no idea what OP means or why some would be rude. I do not spend every waking moment on the internet but I do use it for research. When I fround Cruise Critic I thought what a wonderful sight for information. I still think it is a great site with lots of information but won't put up another post. As I stated before I thank the people who provided me with useful information about the power bar etc. You all have a wonderful time cruising. Bonnie

I feel the same way -- I've only posted few things on this site as well as another similar site -- replies to my comments regularly are sarcastic and condescending. My opinion is just as important as the next person's. Don't let other people's ignorance stop you -- I've noticed many comments come from below the border!

I can not bring it on board with me. I am flying in from Canada and must clear customs which will not allow liquids. Then booked a transfer from NCL to the ship and they have told me they will not stop. I have no way of bringing the water with me. Simple as that.

My husband used the ship's water in his CPAP for 12 days last month, without issue. There was only a minor amount of buildup on the humidifier and he cleaned it nightly.

Supplementing passengers with special dietary needs is one thing. Expecting them to take care of medical supplies is quite another! No need to make this a larger issue than necessary. Either transport it or use the ship's water (with or without a filter).

Hi Bonnie,

You learn to ignore the posters who regularly post the nasty comments (and they know who they are). You can block them (and I have).

Cruise Critic is a wonderful site with more information than I thought was available. Keep coming back and post, too. (OP - Original Poster)

Back to the subject: Seems general consensus is to use ship water. DH will use his without the humidifier. If it is a medical necessity, we would bring our own distilled water.

Bonnie, don't let the grumps/jerks/people who only think they have the right to an opinion get you down. Post away Cruise critic is for everyone to learn and share you need to just laugh or pity the ones that attack. OP= original poster or the one who started the thread.

While I'm not sure that I agree with you that NCL should supply it I do think a good option is to either ask someone on your roll call if they could bring you some or use the ship's water and filter it with a Brita... or some other device.

Vancouver Island is beautiful! :D

Then bring two water bottles filled with distilled water. Bring it aboard the ship in a carry on bag. Can't possibly weigh more than two pounds...

Or is two pounds to heavy to lift?

I bring mine aboard with my prescriptions, Crystal drink tubs, and my camera; not to mention a few other items. I doubt my carry on weighs five pounds.

However, using the ship's water has worked for me in the past. Others claim the same, no effect on the CPAP machine. The ship's water is very clean....

Was the sarcasm really warranted? :rolleyes:

My husband used the ship's water in his CPAP for 12 days last month, without issue. There was only a minor amount of buildup on the humidifier and he cleaned it nightly.

Supplementing passengers with special dietary needs is one thing. Expecting them to take care of medical supplies is quite another! No need to make this a larger issue than necessary. Either transport it or use the ship's water (with or without a filter).

that's good to know, thanks :)

can you get a note from your doctor that it is a necessity to show customs? I bring a note with me to show as I'm going through the checkpoint. Then you would HAVE to be allowed to bring it on. It's part of the 'medical device' that you are using.

Archived