instead of checking Past Guest..

Tiffanyiris

try checking your cruise prices under resident rates. i was only checking past guest and then one of the couples in our group that arent past guests on Carnival, wanted to see if she could score some obc, so i thought lets check the resident rates and sure enough it was $80 bucks/person cheaper than the past guest rate! so we did screen prints and filled out the early saver form! i did it again as well, cuz hey, why not right?

anyway, i hope i help somebody get some obc out there!! ;)

Interesting. When we were checking rates for our ES sailing on the Victory, I always checked past-guest AND entered the state for resident rates. That way the site displayed the best rate irrespective of which discount got us there. I don't believe it's an 'either/or' choice between the two...

Anyway... gotta love ES. We ended up with $320 in OBC!

Interesting. When we were checking rates for our ES sailing on the Victory, I always checked past-guest AND entered the state for resident rates. That way the site displayed the best rate irrespective of which discount got us there. I don't believe it's an 'either/or' choice between the two...

Anyway... gotta love ES. We ended up with $320 in OBC!

thats what i usually did too, but once i took the Past Guest off to see just what a Nevada resident rate was, it went down the $80/person! i was shocked because i thought having Past Guest AND NV resident checked that i would get the lowest rate available, but as soon as i took Past Guest off, bam, what a deal!

thats what i usually did too, but once i took the Past Guest off to see just what a Nevada resident rate was, it went down the $80/person! i was shocked because i thought having Past Guest AND NV resident checked that i would get the lowest rate available, but as soon as i took Past Guest off, bam, what a deal!

Just for fun - If you don't mind posting the date and Category?

thanks, ken

Thanks for posting this! I've been checking forever for the resident rate at the same time that I check for the past guest rate, and I haven't seen a deal for Maryland...ever. It looks like it may just be because you can't check both simultaneously. Wonder how many times I've missed out? :(

Unusual, because displayed rates always show any discount presently available for me.:confused:

You can claim OBC on rates that are not shown for you exactly. Such as--I sent in a claim when there was a lower Missouri Resident rate and got approved for the OBC (even though I am from Maine). Then later there was an even lower Senior Rate that I applied for and recieved (even though I am in my 20's). So I guess the moral of the story is, any lower rate you find, give it a shot!!!!!!:) $440 OBC:)

It's true!!! I just tried checking resident rates only and not past guest and the price was $50 less per person!!! :)

Can you post the ship/date/Category so I can play with this?

I just tried several sample Sailings that have PastGuest and Resident Rate, and I couldn't reproduce your results.

ken

Same here, not sure what search the OP was using, there shouldnt be a need to ever edit the search or unclick options. All available rates should show up automatically.

You would need to do a search, and also click off your residency in a certain state (even if it isn't the state you live in, as well as clicking off on +55yo box. You might have to try a few different states as not all of them offer a resident rate. I have gotten resident rates a couple times from Missouri, don't ask me why.

Can you post the ship/date/Category so I can play with this?

I just tried several sample Sailings that have PastGuest and Resident Rate, and I couldn't reproduce your results.

ken

Mine is sold out now, so not a good example. AND it was not until about 3 weeks before the sail date that these rates became available as they were trying to move rooms........

While I can't find any examples at the moment, I have seen this same behavior. I always do a normal search with NO extra options selected, then I individually try 'past guest' and then 'state of residence'.

As for someone above saying they're 20 and live in Maine and got OBC for a senior rate from a different state - you're not supposed to be able to do that. I guess the people doing OBC verification aren't being very thorough when checking. Maybe they just verify that the rate was available at (date and time) and issue the credit, and don't look at your account to see how old you are or where you live.

While I can't find any examples at the moment, I have seen this same behavior. I always do a normal search with NO extra options selected, then I individually try 'past guest' and then 'state of residence'.

As for someone above saying they're 20 and live in Maine and got OBC for a senior rate from a different state - you're not supposed to be able to do that. I guess the people doing OBC verification aren't being very thorough when checking. Maybe they just verify that the rate was available at (date and time) and issue the credit, and don't look at your account to see how old you are or where you live.

He might be in for a rude awakening at check in if they need to verify the rates, that has happened often in the past a certain TA was booking all their clients under the senior rate and when they went to check in they had to pay the difference.

You can claim OBC on rates that are not shown for you exactly. Such as--I sent in a claim when there was a lower Missouri Resident rate and got approved for the OBC (even though I am from Maine). Then later there was an even lower Senior Rate that I applied for and recieved (even though I am in my 20's). So I guess the moral of the story is, any lower rate you find, give it a shot!!!!!!:) $440 OBC:)

You don't consider that stealing? I couldn't do that. I hope Carnival closes this loophole soon.

He might be in for a rude awakening at check in if they need to verify the rates, that has happened often in the past a certain TA was booking all their clients under the senior rate and when they went to check in they had to pay the difference.

I don't book through a TA, I clearing indicate that its a senior rate by indicating the rate code, and have already had the OBC credited. It is an advertised rate, and can be used to claim ES. This is the 3rd cruise I have claimed such a price thru ES. Don't get snippy because I have gotten OBC, I was posting my experience so that YOU and OTHERS could do the same.

You don't consider that stealing? I couldn't do that. I hope Carnival closes this loophole soon.

Stealing? When you book ES, if you find a ADVERTISED CARNIVAL RATE for your room that is better than the price you booked, you can claim it. I guess we have very different views on what stealing is. Feel free to not make such claims and pay more for your cruise. I will take the OBC, and I will gladly buy you one DOD with it. No more than one though!

it is an advertised rate, and can be used to claim es.

wrong.

• what is the price protection assurance feature?

if, after booking, you find a lower carnival advertised fare, carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: I) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

Stealing? When you book ES, if you find a ADVERTISED CARNIVAL RATE for your room that is better than the price you booked, you can claim it. I guess we have very different views on what stealing is. Feel free to not make such claims and pay more for your cruise. I will take the OBC, and I will gladly buy you one DOD with it. No more than one though!

Wrong. You can only claim ES if you are eligible for that rate.

wrong.

I am very sorry to have misslead you all with my faulty information. I guess for the past three cruises, each with a few ES claims, so the past 9 times I was approved for OBC where mistakes each and every time. All mistakes that have added around $1400 in OBC to my sailings. Sorry for trying to help people claim similar ill gotten OBC, I am a monster. Have a swell day!

I am very sorry to have misslead you all with my faulty information. I guess for the past three cruises, each with a few ES claims, so the past 9 times I was approved for OBC where mistakes each and every time. All mistakes that have added around $1400 in OBC to my sailings. Sorry for trying to help people claim similar ill gotten OBC, I am a monster. Have a swell day!

Oh calm down. No one said you were a monster. However, you were providing incorrect info telling people that they should submit claims for prices that they are not eligible for. If you want to do that, and you can get away with it and sleep well at night, go right on ahead. But don't pretend you are swooping in here as the holy and good divulging state secrets to the less fortunate. You want to play the system? Fine, but let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

Archived