shore excursion info for newbie- Mariner

Hi:

This is our family's first cruise. Money is tight and I need to know if the shore excursions on the Eastern Caribbean trip are worth the money? Should I book with RCCL?Especially need info on Labadee and Cozumel trip to the Mayan ruins.

Itinerary below:

20-Jul Labadee, Hispaniola
21-Jul Ocho Rios, Jamaica
22-Jul George Town, Grand Cayman
23-Jul Cozumel, Mexico

You'll definately want to do snorkeling and sting ray city in Grand Cayman. If you book with an independant operator instead of the cruise ship you'll have a better experience and also save money. We used Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman and it was awesome. BTW - I think you're doing the western route. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mariner of the Seas 06/2004
Grand Princess 01/2002
Ocean Princess 02/2001

In Jamaica, if money is tight, then consider going to Margaritaville. It is free, there is a pool and waterslide, plus it is aimed at families during the day. I believe there is also beach access there. You could buy an appetizer, etc. to share if you wanted to as well.

There are really nice beaches and places to walk to, etc. on Labadee for free. You may want to cinsider bringing your own inflatable ball, etc. from home that could pack flat in your luggage. There is also the "water park" there for a fee. I have heard this can be hard for some of the younger kids to do (climbing on the big inflatable "mountains, etc." and jumping off).

I have heard from people who went on the Mayan Ruins tour that it was nice, but not enough time at the ruins and they make several stops along the way for you to "shop". In Cozumel, there are some good beaches you can go to (like Paradise Beach). But, my top recommendation (after the Dolphin Swim-$$$) is the Cozumel Mini Golf. It is a lot of fun for everyone and really landscaped pretty there!! However, it is nothing like going to the ruins. Go to the Ports of Call board and post questions there for Coz Minigolf Sally. She runs the mini golf and can answer ANY questions you have about Cozumel and activities there..

The Stingray City excursion in Grand Cayman is Great! Book on your own, though. Go to Ports of Call board under Grand Cayman and read posts for which operator and the websites.
If this is too much $ for you, (and it was for our budget last trip since we did the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel), get a taxi to take you to the beach next to the Holiday Inn at Seven Mile Beach. It is free, there are places to rent water mats, etc. if you want. The beach and the water were simply breathtaking (water SOOO clear) and not very crowded.

I hope these ideas help you, but keep reading the boards for other suggestions. If you have any other questions or specifics about something, please ask and I will try to help!

Janet
Monarch 11/01
Rhapsody 8/03
Golden Princess 12/03
[img]http://gifs.net/animate/plamtree.gif[/img]
Our "Win-A-Cruise Bingo" Cruise on the Mariner 8/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;15;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

If in Cozumel, you're talking the trip to Tulum, it's a long day. You catch a ferry to the mainland, and then go by bus. It is worth seeing, but I like to think of a cruise as a vacation, and don't want to get up too early and wait for other people. We didn't get to go to Labadee, but on another board, I heard references to go to the beach second left where it isn't so crowded. Maybe someone who has been there can help you.

Archived