Best Childrens Keepsake?

BO HANSON

My kids colored the Freddy tshirts in Camp for free one day. We also get christmas ornaments at each port (and of each ship) for our tree that hold special places in our hearts. I think the Build A Bear wasn't that bad, just give your child some limits going in. We walked out around $20 per kid (because they went in knowing we didn't have any need for all of the extra clothing and accessories).

On our last cruise, our 3 1/2 year old took over our point & shoot digital camera. He loves taking pictures. He did a pretty decent job. So I guess the camera is sort of his momento from the cruise. He also got a toy school bus in one of the ports.

He also collects toy planes. I think they are matchbox brand. We even found a Disney jet when we were in Disney in January.

We buy a map at each island/port we visit. We have only had trouble on one island and they had a postcard with the map of the island. When we get home, we mount and frame the map. They are all in the old, yellowed looking paper and even the postcard fit in with the others. Some are larger than others but they look great in his room. His first cruise was when he was 4. He's 16 now, and can easily show you each of his "adventures" on his wall. He also collects the ships but we've had some cruises where the ship wasn't available. We collet the ornaments too and have said that when he's older and has his own place, he will have enough ornaments for his first Christmas tree in his first place of his own. Even though he's 16 and we started the collection when he was 4, he is now in charge of either keeping them up or putting them away. This past summer, he and his cousin went out on the island "solo" and when he got back to the ship, they each had their map with them. We had never been to Dominica and this was just about the only island he was "missing" in his collection.

as a travel nurse i always buy xmas ornaments for all the places i been and now i have my 3 year son collect xmas ornaments as well t-shirts on every place he goes to i wanted to turn into a quilt as well but i dont know where to begin with that and the ship model

Since my dh and I got married I have been collecting magnets. On our cruises we get one from each port plus one of the ship. They are on the fridge and are a daily reminder of all the neat places we have visited over the years. Sometimes I catch myself just standing in front of the fridge and "remembering".

My son is now 12 and he seems to get baseball caps and tshirts. Usually though, he doesn't ask for anything.

My dd is now 9 and she has a fun thing she does on all of our cruises. She always gets a lanyard for her card and then at each port and on the ship she gets key chains. Each one goes on her lanyard and becomes a conversation piece. On our last cruise some other girls started doing it too. Once home, she puts them on her backpack. She jingles alot so I can always find her. :D

My son (4) has taken over MY ship model collection. I keep them on a high shelf but quite often he will ask to play with the ships. He knows he has to be careful with them, as they are breakable. But he can tell the ships apart and knows which ones he has been on. I guess it is OUR collection now.

He has gift shop T-shirts from both cruises he has been on, also.

Just to make moms laugh...

My 3 boys - a year later - love to play with the leather bull whips ( adult length) that their father let them get in Mexico while I was shopping with the girls. He let them get them as his mother took his away from him when he was a child after he hit his sister....

Now - after 1 trip to the ER for a "whip sting", many many minor whip hits...and very specific whip usage rules now in our house - my DH finally understands why you do not buy little boys real leather whips!

That is our most memorable keepsake!

My son also likes the cruise lanyards. At his school, they wear id badges on cheap strings around their necks, so he likes to replace those with the cruise lanyards to be unique. :o

We also use the colored plastic hurricane cups for fancy drinks or milkshakes at home which always brings a smile.

Otherwise, I'm not sure we've really had anything be a true "keepsake" item, other than pictures. My son would rather skip souveniers and put the money towards a next cruise! :)

Archived