Frihamnen

We will be docking in Frihamnen next month where we will begin our Baltic Cruise in Stockholm. How far away will we be from the downtown sights? What is the best way to get from the port to town? We will have a day and a half to see everything. What do you suggest we see and what is the best way to get around town? Also, where's a good place for lunch where the "locals" eat?

We will be docking in Frihamnen next month where we will begin our Baltic Cruise in Stockholm. How far away will we be from the downtown sights? What is the best way to get from the port to town? We will have a day and a half to see everything. What do you suggest we see and what is the best way to get around town? Also, where's a good place for lunch where the "locals" eat?

I think that is the port our HAL ship came into. It was right next to a ferry terminal. If so there is a local bus stop in the circular area as you walk off the pier. There is a bus that takes you directly to city center....takes about 10 minutes. From there everything is in walking distance. I can't recall where we purchased the ticket for the bus....I think from the driver. It is very easy to manage.

I can't recall where we purchased the ticket for the bus....I think from the driver. It is very easy to manage.

Please note that you will not be able to purchase any tickets from the driver, you must have a ticket before boarding. I have not been to the Frihamnen terminal in a couple years but I believe there is a place to buy bus tickets, there should be a sign.

Bus 76 (unless it is Sunday) will get you to Vasa/Skansen/Djurgården area and then on to the old town. Or you can take the ferry from Djurgården to the Old Town (Gamla Stan).

Have fun,

Al

At the bus stop there is an automated ticket machine that takes credit cards (my Visa worked). Don't make the mistake I did and buy a one way ticket. Buy an all day pass. Once in town I could not find another ticket machine and, as stated, you cannot buy tickets from the driver.

The drivers were very friendly, made sure we were on the right bus and told us where to get off for the Vasa museum. Only a 10 - 15 minute ride and 5 minute walk over the bridge to the museum. From there we took a water taxi to Old Town.

At the bus stop there is an automated ticket machine that takes credit cards (my Visa worked).

Nice to finally get a definite answer on this issue. there was a question regarding if credit cards drawn on banks outside Sweden would work, and thanks to you we finally know the answer.

Thanks,

Al

Nice to finally get a definite answer on this issue. there was a question regarding if credit cards drawn on banks outside Sweden would work, and thanks to you we finally know the answer.

Thanks,

Al

Hi Al. I am still not sure that all credit cards from banks outside Swedsn will work. As I remember the reports from last summer some said it works, some said it did not.

So i would still recommend to buy a 24 hour ticket or a discount slip at the info shop on the quay before walking to the bus stop.

We happen to be some of the unlucky ones who docked at Frihamen on a Sunday. As was said the 76 bus that usually stops right there, does not run on Sundays. Lucky or not, they sent a sort of fleet of Hop On Hop Off buses to the crusie terminal and most people opted to use them. If that is still so, be aware that the cost for each person is about $40 for the HoHo buses, but they took you exactly where you want to go.

If you are not there on a sunday, the 76 bus is what you want.

Cheers

Len

Sorry, I was so concerned with getting you around I forgot the second part, waht do we suggest you see and do.

The number 1 thing you MUST do is spend some time at the Vasa Museum. This is a truly remarkable place. Do not plan and going in and out, plan on spending a few hours here and you will not regret it. See the movie before you tour around. they ahve guided tours that are included in the price of admission and are well worth it, so just roam around on your own. there are 3 levels to the museum, but the ship is the main prize.

Another thing you should do is catch the Changing of the guards at the Palace everyday about noon. It is a fairly long ceremony (about an hour) with marching bands and military marches. it is an absorbing site. You do not have to stay for the entire ceremony, but try and get there early to get a good view

From the Palace the next step is Gamla Stan, the 'old city'. We just fell in love with this part of town. Just walk the main streets with all the wonderful little shops, places to eat etc, or just wander off on your own, exploring many of the so called side streets and finding your own shops and special places. With so many narrow cobblestone streets, amazing buildings you are transported back to a different time

Here are a few pix of the town to get you acclimated

Here is a short video from the Vasa Museum. Just a marvelous place

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1357.flv

Some of the detailed wood work that has be rescued from the ship

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1206.jpg

Moving on to the Palace and the Royal Guard standing guard over it

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

Part of the Changing of the Guard ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

The main square entering Gamla Stan where you can sit and enjoy some great food, a Swedish beer or just people watch

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Exploring Gamla Stan, a maze of narrow streets and wonderful feelings

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1270.jpg

Cheers

Len

Hi Al. I am still not sure that all credit cards from banks outside Swedsn will work. As I remember the reports from last summer some said it works, some said it did not.

So i would still recommend to buy a 24 hour ticket or a discount slip at the info shop on the quay before walking to the bus stop.

Hi North-Bound,

Sooooo, the mystery remains I guess. :rolleyes:

Al

• 4 weeks later...

If we take the 76 bus and get to the Vasa first thing, how long is the tour that the museum offers? I'm trying to figure out the best schedule since they have the movie and then an english tour at 11:30, but that wouldn't allow us to see the changing of the guard you mentioned.

Turns out we are docking at Vartahamnen 523 instead of Frihamnen. Do we still catch the same bus to town? If so, where is the bus stop? Will we still be able to see the Archipelago sailing in and out of port?

Turns out we are docking at Vartahamnen 523 instead of Frihamnen. Do we still catch the same bus to town? If so, where is the bus stop? Will we still be able to see the Archipelago sailing in and out of port?

Värtahamnen is just beside Frihamnen and the same bus has a stop at Värtahamnen too.

You will be able to see the Archipelago sailing in and out of Stockholm. It is an area with 24.000 islands and takes 3 to 4 hours to pass.

Here is a link to a map where you can see the different ports in Stockholm:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13

• 4 weeks later...
Bad news. Seems it doesn't begin running until 9 a.m. on Saturdays, at least according to the current (winter) table: (Lördag = Saturday)

http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/v76.pdf

Thank you. I'm having a hard time reading this. Can you simply tell me the time the bus would be at Frihamnen on a Friday after 8:00 am?

Also what are some return times from Gamla Stan to Frihamnen port bu 4:30 (14:30) Thanks so much.

Thank you. I'm having a hard time reading this. Can you simply tell me the time the bus would be at Frihamnen on a Friday after 8:00 am?

Also what are some return times from Gamla Stan to Frihamnen port bu 4:30 (14:30) Thanks so much.

I'm very sorry for giving wrong info earlier regarding when first bus starts. It was 6.31 rather than 9 a clock I must have missed a line. Anyway, here is finally the summer timetable:

http://sl.se/ficktid/sommar/s76.pdf

Busses starts from end station at Ropsten at 8:02, 8:12, 8:22, 8:32 etc. and it will take a few minutes for them to reach Frihamnen.

I assume you meant 4:30 (16:30)

Back from Slussen: 4:04 pm, 4:16, 4.28, 4:40, 4:52, 5:04 , 5:20 etc. and bus will be at Gamla Stan in a minute.

• 2 years later...

I have only 4 hour in stockholm . what is the best to do.how much does a round trip bus ride cost?

We happen to be some of the unlucky ones who docked at Frihamen on a Sunday. As was said the 76 bus that usually stops right there, does not run on Sundays. Lucky or not, they sent a sort of fleet of Hop On Hop Off buses to the crusie terminal and most people opted to use them. If that is still so, be aware that the cost for each person is about $40 for the HoHo buses, but they took you exactly where you want to go.

If you are not there on a sunday, the 76 bus is what you want.

Cheers

Len

Why does everyone say Bus 76 does not run on Sundays?

According to this, even in the WINTER schedule Bus 76 runs regularly on Sundays (Söndag ) after 9 am.

http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/h76.pdf

There are 3 sets of schedules (available in Swedish only)

Mon-Fri (Måndag–fredag)

Sat (Lördag)

and Sunday (Söndag )

Why does everyone say Bus 76 does not run on Sundays?

This is an old thread. If you look at the dates on the posts in this thread you will see that the information was written in 2010. At that time there was no bus 76 on Sundays. The good news is that this has been changed now and this summer it will be possible to use this bus every day of the week.

Archived