RCCL Volcano disruption apology (UK)

Did anyone else get an apology from Royal Caribbean (UK) today?

They acknowledge the poor standard of service and apologise for the disruption.

A very nice letter.

Words Can be cheap. The test is what they do to ensure it won't happen again in similar circumstances?

The publicity from this has not done them any favours. I heard about them on national broadcasting.

BA once sent me a lovely unsolicited letter and quite a big cheque- all very unexpected but on the next flight- exactly the same issue. Hence I no longer fly BA.

I think RCCL is starting to realize they didn't follow EU laws in the handling of this situation and are afraid of the loss of goodwill and potential claims they will be facing.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If they didn't follow EU laws then there should be some restitution made by them in hindsight. It's the very least they could do.

...but they are probably waiting for people to claim, in lieu of offering it on their own.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

And I'm also a hazarding a guess that they will wait until they have all the claims in before they decide how much to apportion per person. I wonder if there is a cut off date for making a claim.....

The problem, as I see it, is that RCI is good about apologizing but short on action. RCI is more about reacting than being pro-active. They need to take a look at how they handle a crisis before it's a crisis rather than the knee jerk reaction each time something unexpected happens. Or, maybe this is how they have decided to handle a crisis. Shoot themselves in the foot first, apologize and move on after it's over.

No the letter contained details of how they were dealing with the situation, which included an offer that could be used against a future cruise. I personally was stuck in Dubai and was a cruise only guest, on that basis RC had no obligation to assist after I had left the ship, however I did receive excellent communication from them. I know that others on Fly Cruise deals would expect different assistance, I hope they got it.

A letter??? that was it...nothing else??:confused:

The problem, as I see it, is that RCI is good about apologizing but short on action. RCI is more about reacting than being pro-active. They need to take a look at how they handle a crisis before it's a crisis rather than the knee jerk reaction each time something unexpected happens. Or, maybe this is how they have decided to handle a crisis. Shoot themselves in the foot first, apologize and move on after it's over.

They might not have been prepared for a crisis of this scale, but I think they have handled past isolated crises quite well (at least those that I know about). They were very good to us, both in making the best of the situation and in compensation, when a planned cruise out of New Orleans turned into a cruise to nowhere, because we were stuck half the week at the departure port, because of an incident on the river. And, I understand they were pretty good to people on the cruise out of Galveston that was severely affected by fog. (There've been a number of smaller fog delays, but one cruise couldn't sail for a couple days.)

A future cruise "offer?"

For the full amount of the cruise?

Otherwise I fail to see why RCCL customers impacted by RCCL incompetent planning and atrocious handling of this crisis (see the Vision of the Seas GOUGING-debacle described on this Board), should be required to put MORE money in RCCL's pocket as part of an RCCL apology.

The letter does contain a welcome offer of a credit against a future cruise.

Frankly, we had a pretty great cruise. RC delivered the holiday they promised. The volcano and the resulting chaos was not their fault. They had no obligation to get me any closer to home than the pier in Venice. They did their best to keep us informed and offered free internet access etc.

I think their letter is gracious and the future cruise credit is suitable compensation. As far as I'm concerned they have done enough to maintain my goodwill.

I see no reason for them to offer the full amount of a cruise and would not expect it.

On the other hand, our airline (booked separately) cancelled our flights and did nothing. They were uncontactable and had no local representative to help us. I haven't had an apology from them!

No-one planned for a complete shut-down in European airspace for a week - many companies' customer services were badly caught out. In my book, RC didn't do badly.

I understand there may be others who experienced more disruption/worse service. I also think some people don't quite get the scale of the problem that the volcano caused and need to understand that RC don't have an inexhaustible supply of magic wands.

Frankly, we had a pretty great cruise. RC delivered the holiday they promised. The volcano and the resulting chaos was not their fault. They had no obligation to get me any closer to home than the pier in Venice. They did their best to keep us informed and offered free internet access etc.

I think their letter is gracious and the future cruise credit is suitable compensation. As far as I'm concerned they have done enough to maintain my goodwill.

I see no reason for them to offer the full amount of a cruise and would not expect it.

So nice to hear the voice of reason! :)

I agree totally, so many people believe that others should pick up the tab for what was simply bad luck, on some occassions we are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, this occassion was not one of them.

We all need to be aware that the cheapest insurances are cheap for a reason, however was it an "Act of God" not in my view, yes the volcano was, but the closure of air space due to the cloud dust was actually caused by a weather condition, the wind caused the dust to hover over Europe, maybe an insurance policy might cover for cancellation by weather conditions, I suggest people read the small print.

So nice to hear the voice of reason! :)

I agree totally, so many people believe that others should pick up the tab for what was simply bad luck, on some occassions we are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, this occassion was not one of them.

We all need to be aware that the cheapest insurances are cheap for a reason, however was it an "Act of God" not in my view, yes the volcano was, but the closure of air space due to the cloud dust was actually caused by a weather condition, the wind caused the dust to hover over Europe, maybe an insurance policy might cover for cancellation by weather conditions, I suggest people read the small print.

I am constantly amazed at how many folks are not "active participants" in their own lives--someone or something is always responsible---personally I've seen the light and will flat refuse to cruise until RCCI publishes its asteroid collision policy--in this day and age you can not afford to take chances--lol

Paul

A future cruise "offer?"

For the full amount of the cruise?

Otherwise I fail to see why RCCL customers impacted by RCCL incompetent planning and atrocious handling of this crisis (see the Vision of the Seas GOUGING-debacle described on this Board), should be required to put MORE money in RCCL's pocket as part of an RCCL apology.

Trying to turn this thread into a rerun??? We all got your message in the other thread!

I have no dog in this fight, I have been safe at home.

That being said, to all those people who bought cruises in Europe that essentially required a flight to get back to wherever home is that was not through RCCI, *why* is the volcano and your lack of transportation RCCI's issue? They were only responsible for you from embarcation to disembarcation. They were not responsible for your 'ruined vacation plans' and while yes you *did* end up on the pier, you were responsible for getting your own selves home and the issue lies with your airline or other transportation plans.

So can we please get back to discussing our favorite foods and excursions? All the whinging in the world will not get you any money or apologies for something that is *not* RCCI's fault. Blame Iceland, they misheard CASH and sent ASH.

I personally was stuck in Dubai and was a cruise only guest, on that basis RC had no obligation to assist after I had left the ship, however I did receive excellent communication from them. I know that others on Fly Cruise deals would expect different assistance, I hope they got it.

They certainly did- friends were sent to one of the 5 RCI Dubai hotels on the Monday. Yes, they had to pay but it was a reduced rate. On Tuesday a rep from EK came to the hotel and took everyone's preferences to get home (any UK airport or only a specific airport). At 5:15am on Wednesday morning they got a call from reception telling them to get to the airport asap and they took off at 9:30, back home at LGW by lunchtime Wednesday.

Archived