TITANIC Memorial Cruise, Apealing or Morbid?

I'd LOVE to go on this cruise!

Although it will be a COLD time of year for a transatlantic.

I wish I lived in UK/Europe, though--they get an AMAZING deal for the return:

NOTE: You can choose to cruise back to Southampton for just 20% of your outward fare.

I'd LOVE to go on this cruise!

Although it will be a COLD time of year for a transatlantic.

I wish I lived in UK/Europe, though--they get an AMAZING deal for the return:

NOTE: You can choose to cruise back to Southampton for just 20% of your outward fare.

I hadn't noticed the 20% of the outward fare, that is a good deal.

Not exactly a Family Fun Time Cruise...but interesting nonetheless.

Yea, I found that nice deal on the US page:

http://www.bortonoverseas.com/cruises/index.php?strWebAction=package_detail&intPackageID=641

Ever since I saw that scary :eek: movie (Titanic), I have found the history of it all really fascinating.

I think it would be my first time ever being awake at 2:20am on a cruise!

Price points aside, I think this would be interesting (but I'm a history buff).

A few years ago, oceanographer Robert Ballard toured the country with an exibition of artifacts recovered from the wreck site (which they'd located and explored just a little bit earlier). My kids and their school classmates saw it when it came to a museum in the Tampa Bay area (I chaperoned). It was fascinating and well presented hisotry of transatlantic transportation. They had a reconstruction of the formal first class grand entry area with period costumed recreators distributing boarding passes to visiters in the name of actual passengers directing you to one's quarters (as well as reconstructed 1st class to steerage accommodations, etc.) They recovered a sizable chunk of the hull plating that was displayed with an equally sizeable chunk of actual melting ice in a night backdrop setting. At the end of the the tour, they displayed the passenger roster and you got to see if you 'survived' or not...

I have a remote family connection in that my English grandfather came to America aboard the S.S. Baltic in 1910. The Baltic was one of the ships on Titanic's route that encountered ice earlier that day and telegraphed to no avail.

Price points aside, I think this would be interesting (but I'm a history buff).

I have a remote family connection in that my English grandfather came to America aboard the S.S. Baltic in 1910. The Baltic was one of the ships on Titanic's route that encountered ice earlier that day and telegraphed to no avail.

VERY INTERESTING.

Have you seen the James Cameron documentary Ghosts of the Abyss Where marine experts return to the Titanic, with robot cameras and explore the ship deck by deck......also, am reading the TheTitanic Hearings, the transcripts from the hearings into the Titanic disaster, all the characters and personalities testify to what happened.

The Titanic sinking had extraordinary impact. It was a complete 'game changer' in the area of safety at sea that we cruisers still live with and benefit by.

I read an interesting book many years ago "The Odyssey of C.H. Lightoller" who was Second Officer on Titanic and the highest ranking officer to survive. His conduct was very well regarded during formal review of the accident and he's cast somewhat heroically in the movie (and book) "A Night to Remember".

"Odyssey" is a great seagoer's read; Lightoller's career spanned from the age of sail to Dunkirk. He was shipwrecked on a sailing vessel in the late 1800's in a remote region of the south Indian Ocean (as a cabin boy or novice seaman) on a tiny island that only had fresh water at low tide in spring fed ocean front pools. He was there for weeks or months. He was drawn into the Yukon gold rush then went back to sea. He survived Titanic, then he was collision wrecked as a conscripted Navy officer on a convoy vessel in WWI, then damaged and captured a U-Boat as commander of a anti-sub boat. Then as an old man, he sailed his small personal pleasure craft across the channel to help evacuate the troops at Dunkirk. Great story!

I had a client (now deceased) with a great tragic story. Orphaned prior to WWII then survived sinkings THREE TIMES during WWII!! The first two sinkings were in like 48 hours. Google the USS Langley and USS Pecos and the Book 'Pawns of War' - also a good read.

Archived