height of walls in dubrovnik

Hi. My in-laws are thinking about going on a cruise that would include Dubrovnik. My mother-in-law is a bit nervous about how low the height of the walls might be. I looked at pics, and while some parts look high other parts look rather low. Just wondering how consistent it is. sorry if this sounds like a strange question but she is concerned. thanks in advance

I'm not sure if you're referring to the height of the wall in terms of safety, but I'm guessing that's it.

We walked the perimeter of the walls and there is no chance of someone falling over the wall unless he/she tries really hard to make it happen. The walls are crenellated every so often, where there is an opening, but there's little chance of falling through - again, unless you really try.

I saw people of all ages and physical conditions along the wall. Everyone walks at his/her own pace, and you don't have to walk the entire perimeter - you can exit halfway around.

It's a fascinating glimpse into medieval Mediterranean conflicts.

Hi. My in-laws are thinking about going on a cruise that would include Dubrovnik. My mother-in-law is a bit nervous about how low the height of the walls might be. I looked at pics, and while some parts look high other parts look rather low. Just wondering how consistent it is. sorry if this sounds like a strange question but she is concerned. thanks in advance

There is no way your mother in law could fall over unless she can fly. Some of the sides are up to 3 feet wide and it would take some doing to go over. Is she aware that the walls are about 1 1/2 miles long with a grand total of 650 steps throughout. There many more sights to see in Dubrovnik if she should decide the walls are not for her.

thanks for your replies. Now she can put her mind to rest regarding the safety issue. Its also good to know that if she opts out of the walls there will still be plenty of other stuff to keep them busy.

I highly recommend that you take coop2's recommendations if you are concerned. The Pile entrance was not a pleasant ascent. It is steep, but it would be easy to fall off there. Here is a photo from our review. The top part is ok, but that bottom part is the problem. You can see that there isn't much of a wall there.

DUB_9459%20steps.jpg

Is it easier for someone to enter at Ploce than at the normal Pile entrance?

It is much easier to enter at Ploce, there are only about 35 steps to reach the top. You will then continue counter clockwise and this half is the difficult part with the most steps. The Pile entrance is 65 steps to the top, but you can then walk the sea side which is the easier part. You can then go down at the Maritime Museum and spend time in the old town. Walking the entire wall can be difficult for some, it is depends on your time and stamina.

Yesterday I did walk the sea side with friends, we entered at Pile only to finish the hardest part immediately. Once up there you can walk the entire wall or go down at the half way point, either Ploce or Sveti Ivan. We spent some time in the Maritime Museum, which is a lovely small museum which most folks never visit. The entire wall does normally take about 2 hours, you must decide on what is possible for you. Heat and humidity can make a big difference as there are not many stops to stop and cool down. Truthfully my legs are a bit sore this morning, but it will pass quickly.

Enjoy your limited time in my town.

Archived