Clothing: The Real Scoop?

What's the real scoop on clothing? I am going a bit daffy with trying to plan for three adults...we're first time cruisers....so I am not sure who to believe. I understand the casual and formal nights, but what about the smart casual night in th MDR? Can my husband and adult son get away with a shirt and tie without a jacket? Can I wear a nice outfit that are dressy capris? I just think we are going to have way too much to pack...thank goodness we are driving!

What's the real scoop on clothing? I am going a bit daffy with trying to plan for three adults...we're first time cruisers....so I am not sure who to believe. I understand the casual and formal nights, but what about the smart casual night in th MDR? Can my husband and adult son get away with a shirt and tie without a jacket? Can I wear a nice outfit that are dressy capris? I just think we are going to have way too much to pack...thank goodness we are driving!

Most ships did away with the smart casual nights and jackets for men. Even if it is listed,

what to wear is nice pants like dockers, etc. and a shirt. What you are going to wear is also fine.

You will see most people dressed just like that.

Mix and match to cut down on the clothes packing. ;)

Enjoy your cruise and have fun. :D

The majority of people on RCI ships actually follow the dress code. It is only here, on these boards, that you will find those who do not want to comply. And for anyone who needs a refresher on what the dress code is:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Note it says: There ARE three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

And the reference to suggestions are merely RCI's way of providing examples of what is acceptable, for the benefit of those who have no clue.

The majority of people on RCI ships actually follow the dress code. It is only here, on these boards, that you will find those who do not want to comply.

You keep saying this and I'll keep calling you a liar. Stop trying to make the OP feel worried and uncomfortable.

Wear what you like, take a load of formal gear and I guarantee you'll be wishing you hadn't as actually very few take formal night very seriously and most rush back to their cabins to change into casual straight after dinner.

I agree with ^^^^^..it doesn't do any good to continue to quote from RCIs website about what they want their pax to wear.

Many pax ignore those suggestions and RCI ignores some of the getups that pax think are appropriate for the MDR.

RCI doesn't really care what people wear. All they are concerned about is filling their ships.

Any attire that you would wear to your local diner is fine on RCI. Ignore the chandeliers and fine table settings.;)

RCI is a mass market cruiseline and it shows more and more every day.

On formal nights I wear a dress that I would wear to church on Easter or Christmas, I'm not in to all that formal stuff. I also wear the same dress for both formal nights since I'm one of those who rush back to the cabin after dinner to change into comfortable clothes for the rest of the evening so I'm only wearing the dress for about 3 hours each night. DH wears a suit jacket but has given up the tie on formal night, we once had table mates who wore a golf shirt and slacks on formal night and they still served him.

Those who enjoy dressing up look amazing and I enjoy seeing them, it's just not my thing.

The rest of the cruise I wear slacks and a top that I would wear to work where the dress is casual, no jeans. I take 3 pair of slacks for a 9 night cruise and 5 tops, some of which I will wear during the day with shorts after I've worn them to dinner.

I used to pack 2 outfits per day one for day and one for dinner but it really got to be too much to pack and I always ended up bringing quite a lot of clothes home that I hadn't worn, now I have it down to wear I use everything I pack and don't run out of clean clothes.

There's also not enought room to unpack everything at once so I unpack half the first day then unpack the rest midway thru the cruise.

The majority of people on RCI ships actually follow the dress code. It is only here, on these boards, that you will find those who do not want to comply.

Not true, at least not on my Freedom cruise last week. My husband and I DID comply 90% of the time, but we saw PLENTY of people who did not. The thing is, I don't get all bent out of shape over what other people are wearing.

Not true, at least not on my Freedom cruise last week. My husband and I DID comply 90% of the time, but we saw PLENTY of people who did not. The thing is, I don't get all bent out of shape over what other people are wearing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the REAL truth Original Poster

Please don't fret about what to wear you are sailing on Royal Caribbean and not Cunard.

Royal Caribbean is very laid back and fun.

I just got of the Explorer a week ago.

I would say that 95% of the people were dressed in formal wear for dinner. By that I mean suits and ties for the men, gowns or cocktail dresses for women. I did check around where we were seated and I could not find anyone that was not dressed this way.

For smart casual and casual the dress is the same, just like other people have said --polos and slacks for men, and a variety of clothes for women. If you read the write up in the compasses, it normally says the same for smart casual and casual.

Please remember that most people that cruise are not on cruise critic and have never heard of cruise critic, so if they read any information it is what is sent to them by RC.

The majority of people on RCI ships actually follow the dress code. It is only here, on these boards, that you will find those who do not want to comply. And for anyone who needs a refresher on what the dress code is:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Note it says: There ARE three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

And the reference to suggestions are merely RCI's way of providing examples of what is acceptable, for the benefit of those who have no clue.

While it IS true that there are three distinct types of evenings, all the ships I have been on have only ever done casual and formal.

The key is to look at the cruise compass every day and it'll tell you what the dress for that night is. For instance, last week on Liberty it was casual on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. Monday and Thursday nights were formal. And even on formal nights there were people that weren't wearing their best.

I've only been on a couple of cruises, so I have not had the same experiences as some of the well-seasoned cruisers. On my first cruise I was with a friend that just loves to dress-up for dinner, so I packed a lot of "dress" clothes. Second cruise I was with a friend that couldn't have cared less about how she dressed for dinner, but we respected the rules and our fellow cruisers, dressing appropriately each night. For this next cruise we have decided that we will not be in the MDR for formal night. I am taking one pair of dress slacks with three or four nice tops to wear in the MDR, for a 9-night cruise.

You pretty much have to decide for yourself as to whether or not you want to respect the wishes of RCCL, and your fellow cruisers who enjoy the fact that there is a suggested dress code. When I go out I always enjoy myself, but I always dress appropriately for the venue.

I just got of the Explorer a week ago.

I would say that 95% of the people were dressed in formal wear for dinner. By that I mean suits and ties for the men, gowns or cocktail dresses for women. I did check around where we were seated and I could not find anyone that was not dressed this way.

For smart casual and casual the dress is the same, just like other people have said --polos and slacks for men, and a variety of clothes for women. If you read the write up in the compasses, it normally says the same for smart casual and casual.

Please remember that most people that cruise are not on cruise critic and have never heard of cruise critic, so if they read any information it is what is sent to them by RC.

However to clarify for first time cruisers.

The "Dress Code" applies ONLY for the Main Dining Room. Lots of other dining options are available on Formal night where you can wear whatever you so wish. Also as long as you are smart on Formal night you will not stick out like a sore thumb in the dining room. For example a nice dress shirt and smart trousers is more than acceptable for men with or without a tie.

Windjammer for me on this cruise or Portofinos as I will not be taking a suit with me and will therefore allow those that want to enjoy formal night for what it is in the MDR.

While that may be true for formal nights, it is absolutely false when it comes to smart casual. If there ever was, it has been years since a majority of men have been wearing Jackets & Ties on nights designated as smart casual.

Enjoy the cruise and only take the clothing you really enjoy wearing. There are no 'clothing police' on the ship! Avoid wearing shorts and an old t-shirt for dinner in the MDR! I have seen men in dark suits (not a tux!) on formal nights. There is no real difference between casual and smart casual. I'm sure you will look wonderful in your dressy capris and have a great time.

I used to worry about this when I first started cruising but now just take clothes that I'm comfortable in. On the casual nights, I wear nice capris and a cute top. My husband usually wears khakis and a button up shirt. When we have our kids along, we don't even mind jeans and a nice top at dinner. On formal nights, we do dress up and enjoy that too. Just relax and enjoy your cruise.

You keep saying this and I'll keep calling you a liar. Stop trying to make the OP feel worried and uncomfortable.

Wear what you like, take a load of formal gear and I guarantee you'll be wishing you hadn't as actually very few take formal night very seriously and most rush back to their cabins to change into casual straight after

dinner.

I also agree with you. You paid for your vacation and you should dress in what makes you comfortable.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't stress the dress!! ;)

Oy, so much angst! In our experience, we've only seen a very small number of passengers dress per the "smart casual" guidelines, and those folks tend to be the "old growth" who probably dress that way all the time.

Relax, you're on vacation...and remember, you'll never see these people again!

We don't have the opportunity to cruise a lot, but during the casual nights, I will wear nice slacks and top, DH pants and nice shirt, no tie. Formal nights I will wear either a dress or dressier pair of slacks and fancy top, DH a suit and tie, no Tux. We are casual at home 24/7 so a cruise for us is special and enjoy dressing up a little. I guess we are the Older Growth. The main thing, be comfortable. We ourselves will not judge what others will wear. I don't wear long gowns but it is lovely to see many of the ladies in them, it makes that evening seem a little more special to us.

There is no longer such a thing as "smart casual" - in the MDR it is all casual or formal (even the Compass will not mention 'smart casual' when the RCCL website says it will happen)

In my experience, on formal nights, something less than half, but more than a third of the men are in tuxes; of the remainder, about a third are in collar and tie in the MDR.

To say "no-one" or "very few" or "less than 5%" of men will be in tuxes is just incorrect, and is just as misleading to the newbie as saying "everyone is in a tux" would be.

To my mind if you're comfortable in what you're wearing that's fine by me. However if you're in a tux, and I'm not, don't tell me I'm wrong, just as, if I'm in a polo shirt and chinos, I won't try to evangelise my dress code.

Wear what you like, just obviously don't show up for dinner in a bathing suit.

If your son and husband wore dockers and a polo shirt to the MDR, they'd be fine and would fit in fine.

I am going on FOS a month from today, and I am not packing and obviously not wearing a suit or a tux on formal night, not happening.

Two reasons:

1. It's my vacation, I'll dress as I please. You pay for my vacation, I'll wear what you like.

2. I have gotten to a point in my life, where I do not wear suits nor do I even own one. Unless you're buying me a suit and paying for my vacation, I'm not wearing one

Now, on formal night I will dress nice in a pair of slacks and a nice button down shirt which I will have crisply pressed by the on-board laundry service. So, I will look nice.

The last thing people seem to always forget, there is only so much space in luggage and in today's nickel and dime world of travel, it's not practical to expect every passenger to pack an entire formal wardrobe for dinner.

You wear what you like and what you're comfortable with.

My only suggestion is, as my Father would say, "Just don't look like a slob"

Archived