How is it pronounced?

It's a lot better to mispronounce the name than to miss going to Butchart. :D It is an absolutely gorgeous place. We went there when it was cloudy with occasional rain and couldn't believe how pretty it was. We look forward to returning one of these days when it is sunny.

Thank you... I'm still trying to remember it's Pike not Pike's Market :)

Us locals just call it The Market. Or Pike Place (without the "market"). Pike Market or Pike's Market will definitely tag you as a tourist (which is OK, you are one!).

Us locals just call it The Market. Or Pike Place (without the "market"). Pike Market or Pike's Market will definitely tag you as a tourist (which is OK, you are one!).

Interesting, I have never heard it referred to as anything other than "Pike Place"....guess I have to stop hanging around with the locals;).

Interesting, I have never heard it referred to as anything other than "Pike Place"....guess I have to stop hanging around with the locals;).

Yeah, The Market is what the old-school residents call it (those of us who were here when Seattle was a blue-collar town and everyone's dad worked for Uncle Boeing). We're a dying breed these days, hence most people calling it Pike Place. Either is acceptable, but nobody calls it Pike Market unless they're from out of town.

"The Market" has a much better sound! I am practicing right now!:p Living in a high tourist area, I don't want to stand out too obviously.

Well you know Bellevue doesn't count as locals when you're talking about Seattle ;) lol.

Hang out on Capital/First Hill or Pioneer Square, or downtown or Belltown.

When I lived on "the hill" we walked down to "the market" all the time. it probably keeps it from getting confused with "pacific place", which is on the way, but before "the rack" :)

edit: but pike place is fine too, no one really says the full pike place market though

"The Market" has a much better sound! I am practicing right now!:p Living in a high tourist area, I don't want to stand out too obviously.

Then also don't jay walk or cross when the walk light isn't on.

Seattle is much more like Berlin than most places in the US, where we stand in the mist, without an umbrella at a red light waiting for it to turn green before crossing when there is no cross traffic in sight.

We'd always look out for tourists about to get run over by a bus when we were walking down to the market since they tend to step off the curb in NY fashion and walk like cattle across a red light...

Then also don't jay walk or cross when the walk light isn't on.

Seattle is much more like Berlin than most places in the US, where we stand in the mist, without an umbrella at a red light waiting for it to turn green before crossing when there is no cross traffic in sight.

We'd always look out for tourists about to get run over by a bus when we were walking down to the market since they tend to step off the curb in NY fashion and walk like cattle across a red light...

You all are nicer than I feel most times. Our tourists ("snowbirds") don't walk craxily. They drive everywhere, slowly, in the left lane with their turn signals always on. We love 'em, but are very glad when they leave.

Thanks for the tip about waiting for the light. We are excited about spending time in Seattle and will try not to act like tourists! :cool:

Archived