Glacier Trek or Extended Glacier Trek

mahassiddasairy

What's the difference, in terms of viewing the glacier? Looking at the times, the extended trek gets you an extra hour on the glacier...but is this hour used mainly for the ice climbing? To be honest, as cool as the ice climbing would be, I'd rather spend the extra money in another port. But if the extended trek allows you to go to even prettier places on the glacier, it seems worth it. Has anyone experienced both?

What's the difference, in terms of viewing the glacier? Looking at the times, the extended trek gets you an extra hour on the glacier...but is this hour used mainly for the ice climbing? To be honest, as cool as the ice climbing would be, I'd rather spend the extra money in another port. But if the extended trek allows you to go to even prettier places on the glacier, it seems worth it. Has anyone experienced both?

I done the trek last year and it was the best time I had in any port. How far you get to go will depend on the fitness level of the group your with. My group was in average fitness level. We were able to get to the base of the ice climbing portion of the trek. the only thing the extended group did different was climb the ice. The standard trek is quite scenic and physically demanding. The time of the year you go will also determine how far you go and how many pools and streams you will see. We where their the first week of June and saw many pools and streams. We were even allowed to drink from a stream. by mid to late summer a lot of the pools and streams dry up due to the heat. Unless you really want to climb a wall of ice the trek is all you need. you will see just about everything the extended group will see. This great experience that you will never forget.

In my opinion, the only one I recommend is the longest trek and even that is very limited on time. It's all about getting out and staying out on the ice. :) The shorter tour, barely does this, before it is time to turn back.

The above is not accurate on their "drying" up comment???? Not sure where they got that information, but it is not true.

The ice climbing is optional, and having an extra hour on the ice is well worth the time. It isn't going to be a point to point trek, then "stopping for an hour doing nothing. The longer treks are varied, and more extensive, not just ONE route.

A cheap alternative is driving up to Matanuska Glacier, if in interior Alaska. Superb trekking available. :)

You need the longest possible time on the ice. On the shorter tour, you tend to get the less physically able people. If you can get out and go, you will be happier on the longer tour even if you don't want to climb the ice.

But, even this old woman would at least make an attempt at ice climbing as it is safe and well supervised.

I agree that the 'drying up' comment makes no sense at all.

I wanted to make sure about this, so I called Northstar Trekking directly. The (very nice and helpful) woman who answered the phone said that the extra hour was spent entirely on the climbing. But do the climbing ones actually go to different places? I'd really like the greatest chance to see an ice cave...

the extra hour was spent entirely on the climbing. But do the climbing ones actually go to different places? I'd really like the greatest chance to see an ice cave...

We did the 2 hour trek last year with NorthStar and the time went by very fast. Since this was our first trip and we had other things we wanted to get in, we chose the 2 hour trek. Our guides told us that the extended trip stayed in the same general area, but just did more climbing in the last hour.

I done the trek last year and it was the best time I had in any port. How far you get to go will depend on the fitness level of the group your with. My group was in average fitness level. We were able to get to the base of the ice climbing portion of the trek. the only thing the extended group did different was climb the ice. The standard trek is quite scenic and physically demanding. The time of the year you go will also determine how far you go and how many pools and streams you will see. We where their the first week of June and saw many pools and streams. We were even allowed to drink from a stream. by mid to late summer a lot of the pools and streams dry up due to the heat. Unless you really want to climb a wall of ice the trek is all you need. you will see just about everything the extended group will see. This great experience that you will never forget.

I know the glacier does not completely dry up and that is not what i said. I was told by the guide that their is more pools and streams earlier in the season due to the fast melting snow and ice. later in the season when the snow is all gone their is less water because the glacier ice melts slower than snow. I was also told that later in the summer when the snow melts are gone the glacier melts slower than snow so their is less streams and pools.

This is an amazing excursion and you will have a story to tell for the rest of your life.

Howard

I wanted to make sure about this, so I called Northstar Trekking directly. The (very nice and helpful) woman who answered the phone said that the extra hour was spent entirely on the climbing. But do the climbing ones actually go to different places? I'd really like the greatest chance to see an ice cave...

I asked about this on the trek and was told that the caves are formed by the streams from melting snow and are only assessable when the streams have dried up. It also depends on the glacier that is being used for the trek your going on. depending on the weather conditions and time of the year they use different glaciers. You will not know the glacier site till the day of the trek. In fact the trek site can change from day to day or week to week.

Archived