Carnival Cruise; How formal are the formal nights?

blondeonboard

Well obviously a great many posters took issue with what I had to say. Sorry my assessment of the restaurant is so far off the mark. I guess it negates the rest of what I said in my post as well about making the cruise an elegant memory.

What cruise line are you on? If its 5 star,what is with the $30 supper club.Everyone states its much better than the MDR. Would that be 6 star?

What 5 star place has dancing table waiters,conga lines,announcements,photo's with a pirate?

Steve

FINE -- I'm wrong! Too bad everyone missed my real point!

With the airline baggage charges I think the more relaxed codes had to happen...

I live in Florida where we are very casual anyhow but we did dress up on the Liberty...short cocktail dresses or dressy pants/top for the gals, most of the guys had suits

no tuxes, no long gowns

unless you are into the pictures etc ...

bottom line..wear what you want in the guidelines (which are pretty easy to follow now)

I remember cruising on Princess in the 90's with my ex...he had tux, plus white dinner jacket...I had those heavy Dynasty beaded cocktail gowns

..course we also had "flambe" tableside, skeet shooting and a flaming baked alaska parade LOL>> times change

change happens...change or do your own think JMO of course

FINE -- I'm wrong! Too bad everyone missed my real point!

Hi Neighbor! Most people who cruise would agree with you and your original post.. On threads of this type there is a minority group of people who are very loud and rude and vocal about how, in their opinion, Carnival is just another version of McDonald's, and they attack anyone who even suggests that the cruiseline would prefer that people honor formal/elegant night and, for at least for one or two nights, return cruising to the classy, elegant experience it was in the past.

Steveaaaaaa is probably the poster who is the most hung up on this concept and he will scream that there is no such thing as formal night. He is wrong. It's just not called that anymore, but the cruiseline hopes that you will continue to dress up for it. They have made it a little more lenient on the low end of the code, but most people do still honor it and support it.

Steveaaaaaa is also a poll freak, but even polls indicate that something like 90 percent of cruisers make an effort to dress up for formal/elegant night. Of course, then the McDonald's people will argue that the polls only represent a fraction of the people who cruise. Yet these same people swear by the polls when the results reflect their own biases.:rolleyes:

I have been on six or seven cruises in the past year and a half, and I can attest that most people are still dressing up. My most recent cruise was last month. The people who say they went on a cruise last week and no one dressed up are either full of hamsterpoop, or they're only seeing what they want to see.

I have spoken. :D

It's just not called that anymore' date=' but the cruiseline hopes that you will continue to dress up for it. They have made it a little more lenient on the low end of the code, but most people do still honor it and support it.

[/quote']

Two points...

I really don't think the cruise line cares...When the formal concept was created, it was a different time back than. Even people would get somewhat dressed up to eat out at chain restaurants. Times have changed and I'm glad CCL changed with the times. If they really cared I'd imagine they'd mandate a jacket, even have maybe a $20 rental fee if you didn't bring your own. Don't like it, go to the buffet. Only thing CCL would like about the return of formal would be the increased tux rentals and photo purchases...

The term dressing up is subjective. All will agree that a Tux is dressing. Most but not all agree a suit with a tie is dressing up. Now here comes the tricky part...Is a blazer, tie and khakis dressing up? How about a suit but open collar no tie? Short sleeve shirt with tie and no jacket? Seems like some people are equally as mad at the guy wearing what I mentioned above as the guy who wears jeans and a Tshirt.

CalmCruiserNC-not EVERYONE disagrees with you & your point was not lost on me...I agree. Whether the MDR is considered 5 star or less is not entirely the point, but seriously - Applebees???

WeBeCruisin' - Bravo!

Hi Neighbor! Most people who cruise would agree with you and your original post.. On threads of this type there is a minority group of people who are very loud and rude and vocal about how' date=' in their opinion, Carnival is just another version of McDonald's, and they attack anyone who even suggests that the cruiseline would prefer that people honor formal/elegant night and, for at least for one or two nights, return cruising to the classy, elegant experience it was in the past.

Steveaaaaaa is probably the poster who is the most hung up on this concept and he will scream that there is no such thing as formal night. He is wrong. It's just not called that anymore, but the cruiseline hopes that you will continue to dress up for it. They have made it a little more lenient on the low end of the code, but most people do still honor it and support it.

Steveaaaaaa is also a poll freak, but even polls indicate that something like 90 percent of cruisers make an effort to dress up for formal/elegant night. Of course, then the McDonald's people will argue that the polls only represent a fraction of the people who cruise. Yet these same people swear by the polls when the results reflect their own biases.:rolleyes:

[b']I have been on six or seven cruises in the past year and a half[/b], and I can attest that most people are still dressing up. My most recent cruise was last month. The people who say they went on a cruise last week and no one dressed up are either full of hamsterpoop, or they're only seeing what they want to see.

I have spoken. :D

Since you have been on so many in the last year and a half,and you state there is a Formal night,can you post a copy of the capers back then or fun times now that state an evening is Formal?Even my Glory capers from 2 years ago,list elegant night,not Formal.

Stating it is the same but just changing the name is out right wrong.Did they change the wording of the code at all? If so,then its not the same.:rolleyes:

Steve:D

Walmart:) of the sea's cruiser!!Dam proud of it,stock holder since 1990. $51.37 at business close on friday.

Archived