Scuba? Zip Line? Dolphin Swim?

shines57

We're going on Carnival Splendor to Cabo, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. The 3 things I want to do is dive, zip line and swim with the dolphins. Which is the best place to do those 3 things? Ie, best diving is in Cabo, best zip is in Puerta...

I hear the water in Mx Riveria is quite chilly (and we're going in Dec) - do I need a 7ml wet suit?

thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to find the same information, although our cruise is in Aug on Royal Caribbean. Our ports are the same. We're interested in things like the zip lines, the tequila tour, seeing some of the culture, going horseback riding, or/and getting some massages and spa treatments (I've already heard good things about Aroma Spa in Mazatlan). I have done the city tour with Frank before, but am interested in his other tours. I've seen the "Helmet Dive Tour" (like snorkeling but with an air tank instead) and something like that looks interesting. What about Los Arcos and the glass bottom boats?

Last time we did these ports (5 years ago) we didn't see much of PV (skip the "pirate ship" tour, unless you just want to get completely drunk :p), and Cabo's shopping district. Is there anything else that we shouldn't miss? Which is the best activity to do in each port? Can anyone give me going rates for excursions/outings or reputable companies?

Thanks!

Hands down, the best zip lining is in PV. There are several companies in PV, but the best one is Los Veranos. Absolutely amazing experience. Just google Los Veranos and you will easily find the website. Lots of reviews here on these boards, if you search back, and they are all positive. It's one of the best adventures we've ever done.

Cabo..........well, we took a glass bottom water taxi to Los Arcos. The glass bottom was always foggy, and there wasn't much to see down there, anyway, in the way of fish. They do have a Dolphin Tour right there in Cabo, but I have no experience with it, so can't comment.

Mazatlan has a very popular horse back riding tour, called Randi's Happy Horses. Lots of positive feed back here on Cruise Critic. I believe it's on Stone Island, and part of the ride is on the beach. Sounds nice.

Helmet Dive................we've done it in Bermuda, and had a blast. Don't know how it is in Mexico, but you might want to check into it.

Hope this helps.........happy cruising

Agree, PV Los Vernos for ziplining. We returned 2 weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. We also did Randi's Happy Horses in Maz and Dolphin swim in Cabo. Very glad we picked these ports for these activities. Did alot of cc research and once again got excellent advise. Shoot away with any questions.

Absolutely, I'd do the Zip lines in PV, and although Dolphin swim in Cabo is a bit more, it is an easy walk from the cruise pier (no long taxi rides!), the Dolphin Center in Cabo is new, extremely clean, and very "visitor friendly", even for those that are just going to watch family members. Not only that, but there is a great Cantina at the Cabo dophin center that has very cold beverages, and way above average tacos.

Our choices:

Cabo - Dolphin Swim

PV - Zip Lines

Matzatlan - hmmm...tough choice....take a reputable cab (we were not so lucky and had a cab that tried to drop us off at "Gringo Body Dump Beach"!!!....not a good moment. Stay in the "Golden Zone" at Mazatlan, or stick with known excursions.

We're going on Carnival Splendor to Cabo, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. The 3 things I want to do is dive, zip line and swim with the dolphins. Which is the best place to do those 3 things? Ie, best diving is in Cabo, best zip is in Puerta...

I hear the water in Mx Riveria is quite chilly (and we're going in Dec) - do I need a 7ml wet suit?

thanks in advance!

Zip and/or swim with the donkeys in PV, snorkel in Cabo and anything left over do in Mazt!

We've gone in April and May, water is definitely chilly..

Agree, PV Los Vernos for ziplining. We returned 2 weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. We also did Randi's Happy Horses in Maz and Dolphin swim in Cabo. Very glad we picked these ports for these activities. Did alot of cc research and once again got excellent advise. Shoot away with any questions.

Another who did Los Veranos in Puerto Vallarta and Randi's in Mazatlan. I would highly recommend both. In Cabo we just hung out on the beach so can't help there, however they do have a place to do a dolphin swim there.

Can speak 2 of the 3.

Cabo Dolphins was a wonderful experience. 5 minute walk to the complex. There was 8 in the group.

We touched, fed, kissed and interacted with the dolphins. We then got a fin ride around the tank and I got a chance to be pushed on a boogy board.

It was a once in a lifetime experience!

I agree with the others, Puerto Vallarta is the place for ziplines on these MR cruises. There are several companies available to take you into the jungle.

We did Vallarta Adventures through the ship and had a blast.

We just got back off RC Mariner - had a great time

Cabo - went on the Premier Beach Escape thru the ship - big waste of money - they were 45min late in leaving the office to the MElia ME - the resort is beautiful but they don't allow you to sit by the pool - only in a special area right next to the beach where every 3 seconds someone is harassing you to buy crap - the lunch was ok and you are suppose to get unlimited free ice tea or lemonade but the waiters were really slow.

Mazatlan - Salsa, Salsa, Marg. - great time!!! get to make 5 salsa's and guac. they kept your margarita glass full at all times - the salsa dancing was easy and fun- the resort was crowded for the free time afterwards but we loved this excursion.

Cabo - Ziplining thru the ship - was amazing - had a blast but it is strenuous - was exhausted afterwards but great memories to last a lifetime

Archived