Discover scuba diving price compare - cruise excursion vs independent course

JessieLian

I'm a cruise newbie and wanna take a discover scuba diving at Grand Turk.

I've contacted a dive shop which has great views here. They will charge us $150/person for the introduction, gears and a guided dive. It's a 2.5 hour course.

I also find the discovery scuba diving excursion in the cruise brochure. Which is 4 hours /from $99. I don't know if it's the complete price or I should pay extra money for the gears and so on?

I think experienced guys can tell me which is cheaper finally between the cruise excursion and the independent course? and Which one is better for the beginners?

btw. I prefer the independent course, but they need a minimum 4 pp to start the trip, we have only 2 pp. We have to stand by. Any other pp will join us at May 15, Grand Turk?

Thank you ~~:)

Go with the ship's excursion. I have to believe that gear is included with the Discover Scuba excursion. On Grand Turk, the dive operator that does the ship's dive excursions is Oasis divers and they are reputable.

Go with the ship's excursion. I have to believe that gear is included with the Discover Scuba excursion. On Grand Turk, the dive operator that does the ship's dive excursions is Oasis divers and they are reputable.

Hey bruce,many thanks! I'll book a ship excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

different 'tween the ship excursion on RCL and Sunset House last week was $5 (took daughters for first dive experience)

ship excursion provided transportation; roll my own did not

but at Sunset we didn't see another diver or snorkeler or anyone from the ship the time we were there.

My son and a friend did the discover scuba in GT with the CCL operator and loved it. With the Carnival discover you walk to the boat on the beach beside the pier. Very easy, safe and no extra charges. Wet suits are not included or required. Everything else is included. :D

by its nature a Discovery course must/should include all basic equipment: MFS, BCD, regulator, tank, weights. I'd always expect a wet suit to be extra but my experience is all Carib'

having said that don't feel bad for asking cuz when I booked for the daughters I verified that there were no extra equipment charges . . .

Archived