Orwell Corner Historic Village PEI

Has anyone visited Orwell Corner Historic Village outside of Charlottetown? I can't find any reviews on it and was wondering if it was worth a stop or to just drive up to Anne of Green Gables and the surrounding area. Thanks.

I have not been to it, but it seems similar to other historic villages in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

I guess it would depend upon your interests, but I would opt for renting a car and going to the Cavendish area and then driving along the north shore. Green Gables is an old house, probably quite similar to what you would find at Orwell Corner. The scenery along the north coast of PEI is special. Be sure to stop in to Rustico and North Rustico, Brudnell, etc.

It depends on what your interests are. Cavendish is the 'tourist trap' of PEI and Anne is a big 'thing' especially for Asian tourists. Kids would enjoy Cavendish over Orwell.

Our kids have gone to Orwell for school field trips and while they say it was 'interesting' they would rather go to Sandspit or Shining waters fun park in Cavendish.

There is definately more to do and see in Cavendish.

One nice spot for a few souvenier shops etc, is at Peake's Quay which is within a block of where the ship will dock.

I would also recommend a tour of Province House (also within walking distance of the dock), since Charlottetown is "the Birthplace of Confederation" and Founder's Hall if you like historical stuff.

Depending on when you are coming, Cavendish may not be 'open' as it is a seasonal village.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. Since we will have our two teenage daughters, I want to make sure we are going places of interest to them. I know Anne of Green Gables and some of that area will be more touristy but I think we will go there anyway. Since we are there mid-June and the only ship in port, hopefully it won't be too bad. To go to both Orwell and Cavendish area would make for a long time in the car. I would do it but sounds like not worth the extra time to go over to Orwell. We will plan to stop at Rustico and try to leave time for at least Province House and shopping at Peake's Quay. Any other ideas for two teenage girls who love to read and like history would be appreciated.

If you watched the movies or Road to Avonlea you may enjoy Orwell as it was a filming location for a lot of the 'transition' scenes. They also have a ton of cats there! ;) I'm a cat lover so this is a bonus to me lol.

Archived