More difficult to please?

Wellpark

Hi All,

Reading this forum and Celebrity and Princess forums, I wonder if it gets more difficult to please more experienced cruisers.

We all seem to love cruising, however the more experienced cruisers appear to be increasingly critical. This is a generalisation, before someone takes particular offence.

I have loved my first two cruises and was wowed by Celebrity Millenium and Emerald Princess. We had inside cabins and were anticipating cramped living, however I found the rooms functional and better than I expected.

When I read comments on review sites giving 2 out of 5 ratings because Disembarkation did not go smoothly, however cabins, food, and decor were excellent, I struggle to understand the logic.

P and O clearly has many fans, however I am tending to read about how 'its not as good as....' 'may not cruise P and O again...' Has P and O slipped that badly?

Am I destined for tarnished future experiences due to constant slippage of cruise standards?

I don't think it's to do with being more experienced cruisers. Obviously sometimes people do have genuine complaints, but in the main I suspect it's to do with people's disposition. When minor things aren't quite as you hoped you can react in two ways: you can shrug or point out the problem and then get on with enjoying your holiday; or you can get upset and let it spoil the rest of your holiday.

Undoubtedly all cruise lines are having to make cost savings and some of these savings are apparent when comparing a cruise experience now with the equivalent one a couple of years ago. But if you aim to enjoy each cruise for what it is, not by comparison with something else that's no longer available, then in all probability you'll have a great time.

Also, keep in mind that more people are likely to post about bad experiences than good ones. This may not apply to regular CC contributors but others are more likely to be motivated to post a whinge than to bother to tell everyone what a good time they had.

Dave

I actually think it does have something to do with experience...just like dining in restaurants...the more you know about food the higher your expectations and your expectations are in line with how much you are paying for that experience.

When we cruise for the first times it is so overwhelming that you probably don't notice or care about some things...with more cruising, different ships and perhaps higher prices your expectations change.

I agree the best indicator that you will have a great cruise is to go with an open mind and really not to worry too much about the small stuff most of it is not that important...but sometimes cruisers do have valid complaints and they should have the opportunity to voice them without being jumped all over.

However some criticisms just make me laugh "friendly shower curtains, missed port due to weather etc."

On a recent cruise many cruisers in our CC group were "Elite" with Princess i.e. had cruised more than 15 times or 150 days with that line...they know what they like! I might add then were the least whinging bunch I had ever cruised with...loved cruising with them...they loved it all and it showed.:D

I think peoples expectations have maybe become unrealistic. In real terms the cost of cruising came down for many years (but has now started to creep back up) ... you can't expect to get the same for a lower price. I often hear the phrase 'nickel and diming' ... while the finger is often pointed at the cruise line the sad reality is that it should equally be pointed at the person making the complaint.

Several years back on this site I remember a discussion whereby people were saying they were sick of having to pay for all the freebies ... why did they have to pay for free coffee when they don't like coffee, why pay for the guest speakers when they don't go to the lectures, why pay for free ice cream when they don't eat ice cream etc. etc. It appears the cruise companies listened, took those items out of the price and sold the basic cruise for a lower price ... but then others started complaining about having to pay for coffe, ice cream, lectures etc. (the difference was they were no longer paying for it in the price).

On the other hand if people start complaining about some aspects e.g. food or entertainment then maybe the company will try to provide a better standard ... however that costs more and those costs have to be passed on.

The other issue is the low brow 'I am going to show them' mentality of some people ... they have a tiny little bit of power that says they can write a review where they can blow a very minor issue totally out of proportion. I read some of these 'vent' reviews and what crosses my mind is how sad some people are that they can not handle minor inconveniences ... is such inability really being bred into our society?

Years ago when we booked Princess I started reading reviews and found some quite bad ones. I was very close to cancelling and it was only a poster on the Princess board that convinced me to go (somebody called Bob I think .. he probably doesn't even know what a favour he did me). I am glad we did because it totally addicted us to cruising and ever since then I pretty much ignore venting 'that will teach them' reviews .. they really aren't worth the pixels it takes to display them and say far more about the weaknesses of the reviewer than the cruise line.

I hope i don`t become like that , i have just returned from our first ever cruise ( Ventura ) and we loved it , now planning our next one , probably with P&O again and we cant wait .As the old saying goes " you cant please all of the people all of the time "

I guess its like everything you pay your money and make your choice. There are lots of cruise lines out there to choose from so if you don't like one you can try another.

I think with anything the more experience you get the more critical you are because you notice things a lot more. Its like entertainment for me, I find most of it quite poor on ship, but other guests love it. I work in the entertainment industry so see good and bad acts night after night. Where as because of my job its rare I get to sit down and and eat great food. The food on a cruise blows me away every time I travel.

Chris

Archived