Pocket knife

lweber05

Is a passenger allowed to board with a small pocket knife or are the restrictions similar to those for air travel?

Thank you.

I have always carried a small swiss army knife and have never had it questioned while boarding a cruise ship...but being forgetful I have left more than one at security while flying.

If you read the Guest Ticket Contract you agree to when you buy a cruise it says,

The Guest agrees not to bring on board the vessel, under any circumstances, any firearms or weapons of any kind. If NCL enforced this like they do liquor smugglers it would take hours to get onboard, or 100s of people in the naughty room.

When DH and I went for a day tour of the Pearl last Sept. he forgot to take his knife out that he carries with him. We went through the same security lines as regular passengers and they told him that he would not be able to board with it. He told them that we were only doing a tour so they agreed he could pick it up after. I think maybe it would be like airports and better if you packed it in your checked luggage?

Last year I bought a tile and wood cheese board with a little "cheese spreader" in Portugal and they took it off me as I reboarded the ship because the "cheese spreader" was a potential weapon. They gave it back when we disembarked. The irony is that I was in a suite and had full sets of silverware in my room, including knives! LOL!

Having a "cheese spreader" interpreted as a potential weapon was a hoot! I laughed and laughed about that.

Last year I bought a tile and wood cheese board with a little "cheese spreader" in Portugal and they took it off me as I reboarded the ship because the "cheese spreader" was a potential weapon. They gave it back when we disembarked. The irony is that I was in a suite and had full sets of silverware in my room, including knives! LOL!

Having a "cheese spreader" interpreted as a potential weapon was a hoot! I laughed and laughed about that.

I love the cheese spreader! I had problems boarding the Spirit (NYC) because I had knitting needles in my carry-on. Security tried to confiscate them because they were weapons. DD (a teenager at the time) loudly pointed out that if I wanted to kill someone, I'd book Cagney's and use the steak knife- it would work much better than knitting needles. They did finally allow me to board with them.

As for the penknife- if you forget to pack it in your checked luggage when flying, you can always mail it home to yourself (for a fee). TSA should be able to direct you to the mailing envelopes, etc somewhere in the security area. My Dad has mailed his home several times.

Is a passenger allowed to board with a small pocket knife or are the restrictions similar to those for air travel?

Thank you.

Considering the free access to knives in the buffet, and the fact that you can take the food, and the eating utensils (including the knife) back to the cabin with you, a certain amount of common sense is required here. I've had no problem bring a key chain sized knife. Once the blade starts to exceed three inches you might find that security is going to take an interest in you.

Here is what NCL says on its website ...

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

I have been on the Pearl and the Sun in Alaska. Both times they measured my pocket knife against the room card and told me anything that was not bigger than the card was OK. Tis was 2007 and 2008

The only time I'm without a pocket knife is when I travel. It just isn't worth the hassle anymore. If security people really believe I'm going to attack someone with a pocket knife, so be it. I'm very fond of my pocket knives and it wouldn't be pretty if some fool demanded on confiscating one of them. I can live without one for a week or two.

Sadly this is all part of the hysteria we face today. The most dangerous phrase is "better safe than sorry". Yes, I have seen people stopped, but even more just walk right though.

The scanning process is much less secure than the airport. Considerably less. And for good reason. There are enough "common" weapons already on the ship if you want to do something. The teen that pointed out the steak knife is an excellent example.

And, by the way, even TSA testing has shown it is not that difficult to get stuff on board an airplane, where the risk of course is much higher.

Personally, if I had a favorite pen knife that I did not want to lose, I would just leave it at home.

Archived