Zuiderdam dress code

sooboo

Hello - I am going with my husband to Alaska on a Holland America cruise, our ship is the Zuiderdam. I see that there are two formal nights on this cruise. Does anyone know how most guests dress for these. My husband is quite happy to wear a dinner suit/bowtie but doesn't want to be the only one. I also would like to dress up but feel the same! We have booked late sitting for dinner on a table of 6/8. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I cruised aboard the Zuiderdam in December 2009 (10-day cruise to the Panama Canal). I have a tuxedo, but I decided not to bring it. Instead, I wore a dark suit. A few men wore tuxedos, but the vast majority wore suits. A tuxedo would not be out of place, but it certainly is not necessary.

Have a great cruise! Alaska is beautiful.

Chuck

You won't be the only lovely lady who is dressed up. I promise. Many of us like to pair longer black skirts or pants in drapey fabrics with sparkly tops.

The most important thing is that you have a wonderful and festive time. Wear something that will turn heads:p

We were on the Zuiderdam last summer to Alaska and dined in the Pinnacle Grill on the first formal night and the MDR the other night. My husband wore a blazer and tie, dress shirt and dress slacks and fit in just fine...he was comfortable which made him happy. I wore dress black slacks and a formal chiffon blouse & jewelry and also fit in well, which was fine with me.

We saw some more dressed up (a couple tuxes, lots of formal dresses) and also some who did not seem to be aware that there was a special occasion at all! Some do choose not to participate, have room service on their verandah or eat in the Lido or poolside. Remember the days are quite "long" up north so some prefer to take advantage of that more than a fancy dinner.

My husband is quite happy to wear a dinner suit/bowtie but doesn't want to be the only one. I also would like to dress up but feel the same!

Then, by all means, dress up! What better time to do so than on a night which has been designated "formal". You certainly will not be the only ones dressed for the evening.

Enjoy it! And have a great time in The Great Land.

We were on the Zuiderdam in August in Alaska and there were very few men in tuxedos, but most did have suits on. The women were dressed more casually though it appeared. There were a lot of casual skirts and tops on formal night.

Archived