Airplane is Full

Linda/Ohio

What is the possibity of an airline adding a flight when one is full. I am looking at a flight in late April that is already full. It is from Miami to Detroit. I know I can go from FLL or PBI--but will be traveling with a group that will be going home from Miami--and I would like to do the same. The A.M. flights are out of the question. This 1:00pm is about perfect--the next one doesn't leave until 6:30 PM.--long time to wait.

So--if the plane is full--will they add another? Does anyone know if this ever happens? Obviously the cruisers can't use the earlier flights.

Linda/Ohio

hey Linda, are you flying on a major carrier? If you really want that flight, call and find out about booking the 6:30 flight and waiting stand-by on the earlier flight. Works a lot of the time for Mr Stress and he flies often for business. good luck!

Linda,

they will definately not add another flight. the airlines try very hard to keep their planes in the air all the time-that's when they make money- so it's not at all probable that an extra airplane is just sitting around in the airport you want to use. Check another carrier or go stand-by.

Beth

It may be rare, but it just happened to us. I got an e-mail informing me of a schedule change on our flight (Continental) to Ft. Lauderdale in April. Being a significant difference in time, I called them to see about another flight - previously the earlier flight had been quite a bit earlier - and sure enough they had added a new flight, just an hour before the one we were originally booked on. That's why they had changed the time of our flight. We were able to change to the new flight, which had noone booked on it yet. It has also happened a couple of times with United, going to Colorado during peak times like President's week in ski season. But, it's not something you can count on...

Interestingly--NWA does have 4 flights going from MIA to DTW from 12 noon until 1:30 PM daily up until April 3rd--a few weeks prior to my flight. So--it isn't that absurd to question adding flights. Apparently they do have planes--at least earlier in the month that make this flight.

I wonder how they decide how many flights and seats are needed?

Linda

Hi Linda,

What happened to us is the airline switched the flight to a larger plane.

I noticed our seat location changed - then wondered what was going on. It seemed that the flight sold out so Delta just used a larger plane!

When this happened, we were reassigned another seat on the new plane, which we really didn’t care for the location – husband likes to look out window & have a clear view. So we choose new seats.

Delta told me this happens quite a lot when the flight is full. Good luck on finding what you want.

Happy Sailing,

Suzy B

Thanks for the input. I haven't yet bought the tickets. The same 5 seats are still available in first class--the restof the plane seems to be booked solid. However--not choosing this one at this time--as the price is double what the other flights are offering. This flight seems to be an airbus 320. I wonder if NWA has larger planes that they use on this Mia to DTW route?

Linda

They may swap out the 320 for a 757, if it logistically works out for them to get the 757 back on the route it normally does. Obviously, this only works if the route the 757 normally flies is a soft seller around the time the 320 route is a heavy seller.

But in reality, if they have seats on earlier or later flights, or on routes through another hub (like Memphis, in NWA's case) they aren't going to switch planes on one flight. It looks like they use 320's as well as DC-9's on this route, so I doubt they will go bigger, when the trend is smaller. Especially when the cruise demand drops in April anyway. Probably best to look at FLL, since you aren't going to be on the same flight as your family anyway.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help.

Actually I am looking to book 4 seats for my family. The other 2 will book their own as they are in other states. I am going to hold off for a few more days--plenty of seats on other flights and other airlines (nothing nonstop). I am only being extra careful planning--as I will be traveling with an elderly aunt who doesn't like to fly. I am trying to avoid confusion and congestion--the easiest for us would be to fly directly (non-stop) from DTW to MIA the day before--get a hotel and then go on the cruise. Then after the cruise--get a flight from MIA to DTW. The nicest thing about using NWA is that they have a brand new terminal in Detroit--the other airlines use the old--ugly-terminals.

Linda

Linda-

Having traveled with an elderly person (my hat's off to you!) maybe consider spending an extra night in a hotel after the cruise then leaving the next day where hopefully you can get a non-stop flight home. I took my wonderful MIL (since passed away) on several trips and recognize what a challenge it can be. The standby suggestion is not a bad one, but when traveling with an elderly person that can be a bit of a hassle as well. If you do get on, it will probably be with seats not together, very likely several rows apart which is not desirable for anyone and particularly in your situation with family/elders.

Depending on pricing, etc. we've been known to do this. It certainly is a lot less stress to not have to worry about when you get off the ship, etc. You just take your time and then go to the hotel, then the airport the next day when there are no "cruise crowds" to deal with.

however- work is life and life is work so perhaps your schedules wouldn't allow it.

One other tip- if you stay in a hotel, ask for a room on a lower floor. My MIL and myself (DH not with us-- just as gals trip!) were in Boston on the 18th floor of a hotel when the fire alarm went off. She was in her 80's and darn good shape for that age- but boy, 18 flights of stairs with her were a challenge. And I might add that people, in general, were NOT nice about the situation. There were a few that tried to assist or at least not hinder but overall I was surprised.

After that experience- I always booked a lower floor when traveling with her. And I am so glad for those memories- as you will be for this cruise with Auntie. It may be a little more of a challenge with her- but it means so much to someone like that to be able to travel and to have someone want their company-- I'm glad I have those memories. Hope it all works out- enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
hey Linda, are you flying on a major carrier? If you really want that flight, call and find out about booking the 6:30 flight and waiting stand-by on the earlier flight. Works a lot of the time for Mr Stress and he flies often for business. good luck!

This only works if you have carry on luggage. Since 9/11 you will not be allowed to fly separate from your luggage!

We flew from MIA to DTW in January on Northwest. We were on the 12:30 flight to Detroit and there were 2 other flights right behind us at 1:00 and 1:15. They were asking for people on our flight to "bump" to the next day since they had overbooked and none of the flights leaving that day had open seats. If you really want one of those flights, you could go standby and hope someone wants to be "bumped". American Airlines has non-stop flights from Detroit also and are pretty competitive with NW. Unfortunately, they aren't from the new terminal!

--the next one doesn't leave until 6:30 PM.--long time to wait.

Linda/Ohio

Linda, if you HAVE to take the 6:30pm flight, get off the ship when you can, grab a cab and head over to either the Hilton Fountainbleau or the Wyndham Miami Beach (formerlly the Doral) and get a cabana for the day.. its a terribly tuff way to have to wait for a flight.. but.. what a wait!!

They were asking for people on our flight to "bump" to the next day since they had overbooked and none of the flights leaving that day had open seats. If you really want one of those flights, you could go standby and hope someone wants to be "bumped". American Airlines has non-stop flights from Detroit also and are pretty competitive with NW. Unfortunately, they aren't from the new terminal!

Sorry, you cannot fly standby and expect someone to be bumped for you. Bumps happen on oversold, BOOKED flights. NO bumps for standbys. You ARE the bump.

Archived