Buy insurance before flights?

I am waiting for some frequent flier miles to come through. Once I get them I will try to book some flights for our cruise in October. If there are no good FF flights I'll pay out of pocket.

Here are my question:

• Should I wait until I have my flights booked before I get our trip insurance?
  • Can I wait a month to get my insurance or must I buy it within a certain time frame? I paid my deposit today and the final payment for the cruise is due in late July

Thanks!

I am waiting for some frequent flier miles to come through. Once I get them I will try to book some flights for our cruise in October. If there are no good FF flights I'll pay out of pocket.

Here are my question:

• Can I wait a month to get my insurance or must I buy it within a certain time frame? I paid my deposit today and the final payment for the cruise is due in late July

Thanks!

Do you need coverage for any pre-existing medical conditions? If so, with most plans you need to buy your policy shorttly after making the first payment on the trip (one exception is CSA). Insure the cruise as soon as you book it then when you book the air contact the insurer right away to see what, if any, additional trip cost needs to be added to your existing policy in order to keep the pre-existing coverage in effect.

If you wait you risk having a pre-existing condition suddenly pop up and complicate things.

Here are my question:

Thanks!

If you want a pre-ex waiver (and don't want to limit yourself to CSA) go ahead and purchase the trip insurance now for the cruise. After you book the flight and pay the fee or fare, call the insurance company and have the flights added to the insurance. (And pay the additional premium if needed.)

SirWired

Archived