NCL Spirit not stopping in Guatemala in 2011

wdowns9

I just received my letter the other day stating -

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit's 7-Day Exotic Western Caribbean

sailings from New Orleans, Louisiana from November 7, 2010 to April 17, 2011. All guests booked on these sailings need

to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are always looking for ways to enhance our itineraries. In order to provide a better

experience ashore, we have omitted the call to Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala and instead will call Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras.

This is what I was not looking for as we've always enjoyed stoping in Guatemala and seeing our friends with Happy Fish Travel along with the friendly people...Maybe another day as the local economy is going to take a major hit.

I just received my letter the other day stating -

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit's 7-Day Exotic Western Caribbean

sailings from New Orleans, Louisiana from November 7, 2010 to April 17, 2011. All guests booked on these sailings need

to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are always looking for ways to enhance our itineraries. In order to provide a better

experience ashore, we have omitted the call to Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala and instead will call Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras.

This is what I was not looking for as we've always enjoyed stoping in Guatemala and seeing our friends with Happy Fish Travel along with the friendly people...Maybe another day as the local economy is going to take a major hit.

Well, this is bad news Guatemala was beautiful and one of my favorite ports. In the past the spirit called on both ports and it work out fine.:confused:

Sto. Tomas de Castilla was one of our favorite ports. It is a shame that it will be replaced by another boring island beach with little local flavor. I would rather have La Ceiba as a Honduran port than Roatan.

This is the best news that I have heard in days. We stopped here on the Spirit back in March 2010 and all I can say is what a waste of time and money. Thank goodness that NCL finally listened and replaced this dump with a better port of call. Now I can plan another trip on the Spirit in 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm glad we got to go there last year, as it was one of the more interesting ports I've been to. I agree with you, GTJ, it is too bad it will be replaced with just another beach. I can see beaches anytime without cruising.

Guatemala became one of my favorite ports when we sailed there on the Spirit. The people make it a beautiful place to visit. It is sad to think of how they will be affected economically. I remember the send off the gave the ship as we left the port. There was a delay, but they danced until we sailed away.

Been to this port twice. Once on the NCL Sun and last year on the NCL Spirit. Will be back on the Spirit in Nov, will miss this port as the boat is not going to Roatan. Have not been to Roatan.

The people in Santo Tomas are really friendly. Really enjoy how they put on a show to send the boat off. This has not occurred at any other port.

At least I will have some nice memories of the people and country. Maybe I will get to stop there again in the future.

• 3 months later...

The Sun is scheduled to keep calling Santo Tomas de Castilla, the Spirit did change the itinerary to Roatan... but good news is that there are new things in Roatan such as the golf course which will be offered on board NCL as a shore excursion. It will be offered in RCCL and CCL as well. Back to Santo Tomas de Castilla, unless you are already familiar with an independent operator it is best to book through the ship.

Hope this is helpful.

Archived