Diving suggestions for Cabo, PV and Mazatlan

shines57

We are cruising in late Dec in Cabo, PV and Mazatlan. We want to dive in each of those places but I'm not finding a whole lot on this board that gives any suggestions.

I heard the water is pretty chilly so wondering if my 3ml full wet suit will suffice or should I consider at 7ml?

What is the visibility like in those area???

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

• 1 month later...

in my several visits to Maz' I was never interested in diving there . . . too much Cayman time I guess. The one place I've heard good things about is Cabo

Pacif is cooler then the Atlantic . . .

• 5 weeks later...

I've been to Cabo and PV several times in November and the water is still pretty warm. It doesn't get real cold until March thru July. I've always been OK in a 3 mm suit. This year I was in Cabo in May, water temp was about 73 and was very comfortable in a 5 mm suit.

Visibilty right around Land's End was about 40 - 60 ft. There are several dive sites right there which is close to the ships. There's very little coral but tons of fish, sea lions, eels, etc. The sand falls are something different to see. The best diving in Cabo is at Cabo Pulmo which is at least 1 1/2 hours away so it may be difficult to get there when on a cruise ship.

The diving in PV is not consistent but the best place close enough is the Marieta islands. Los Arcos can have a lot if current and really poor visibility.

• 2 weeks later...

There is only one port I recommend you dive if you MUST dive while on a Mexican Riviera Cruise (which I would not recommend) - Cabo San Lucas. The only problem with diving in Cabo is dive operators won't take you out of the bay, and the diving in the bay isn't great.

There is excellent diving with 100+ feet visibility a little north of Los Cabos, but you won't find any dive operation in Cabo San Lucas to take you there. The water temps in Cabo in the winter are in the low 70's, so a 3mm wetsuit won't be enough. I personally recommend you save your $100+/2 tanks in Cabo or PV and go diving in Hawaii or in the Caribbean some other time.

Archived