How do I sneak liquor onboard?

kimz

Each cruise line is very different:

Carnival and Princess are the most lienent. Carry on 1 bottle of wine/champagne each person in plain site. Clear liquids in water bottles. Brown liquids in Coke bottles - or Rum Runners.

NCL allows wine but will stop you at security and charge you a $15 corkage fee before you board.

Royal Caribbean is the toughest. They will confiscate wine/booze at the pier (you're allowed to retrieve it at the end of the cruise). If the luggage xray shows anything, you're called to the "naughty" room, given a lecture, and the offending bottles are taken from you and returned at 11pm on the last night.

HAL is actually the most lenient -- unlimited wine is permitted, nocorkage fee unless brought tothe dining room.

Carnival is using scanners now to check bags and are finding A Lot of the smuggled booze in suitcases and they are not returning them. With that said friends on a recent cruise in Miami this past April put vodka into water bottles and put them in the middle of a case of water they carried on board and got through with them. Some water bottles they are making you dump them upside down and if they "foam" at all they suspect liquor and make you dump it. Options are drinking on shore or buying booze ahead of time through Carnival's Bon Voyage offerings and the confiscating occured on the Carnival Glory and I think the Valor, one in March and one in April.

• 11 months later...

I used to take it on Carnival often, just packing it in my checked luggage. I think ALL the cruise lines are getting more strict these days, however. Probably the bad economy. They don't want to lose that alcohol revenue. On my recent cruise, one suitcase failed to deliver to the cabin. We got an invitation to the "naughty room" instead. I had NO alcohol, just standard-sized shampoo, conditioner and hairspray bottles. That liquid showed up in the scans and flagged our luggage. There were a LOT of invitations issued to visit the naughty room. I don't think many people got through with large bottles of liquid that were not visually inspected.

I gave up on smuggling years ago, when the lines got more strict about it. I'm not that big a drinker and the few bucks I save isn't worth the risk of embarrassment over getting caught!

Do you sneak a bottle into a restaurant when you eat out at home? .

No, and we wouldn't sneek a bottle into the ship's restaurant either. But it is always perfectly exceptable to bring a bottle to your hotel room. You are paying to rent the room, and what you do in that room is your business. In this case, the "hotel room" is on a ship, and I don't see that as any different. I have no moral issue with having a few of my own drinks in my own cabin or private balcony.

To the OP:

We just wrap our bottle in clothes in the middle of our suitcase.

In 10 cruises.....that's 20 pieces of luggage with one bottle each, only one bottle was caught.

It resulted in a nice letter in the luggage(which was unlocked)saying it would be returned on the last night of our cruise.

This was last May so they may be checking more now:confused:

To me it's worth taking a shot, but this May we will have a plan B in place and order from Bon voyage also:D

No, and we wouldn't sneek a bottle into the ship's restaurant either. But it is always perfectly exceptable to bring a bottle to your hotel room. You are paying to rent the room, and what you do in that room is your business. In this case, the "hotel room" is on a ship, and I don't see that as any different. I have no moral issue with having a few of my own drinks in my own cabin or private balcony.

The contract you sign when you rent a hotel room is completely different, and far less extensive, than the one you sign when you purchase passage on a ship. It's apples and oranges.

All lines have their policy stated in their terms and conditions, and you accept them legally when you purchase. Carnival's states:

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

You can read the whole thing for yourself here: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

You can find the same information on each line's web site.

The good news is that you'd only be out the cost of the booze - they don't refuse passage just for carrying it on. If you argue with them about it, on the other hand, their terms and conditions give them wide latitude to toss you, with no compensation.

The contract you sign when you rent a hotel room is completely different, and far less extensive, than the one you sign when you purchase passage on a ship. It's apples and oranges.

QUOTE]

Then I guess I'm breaking the rules. Everybody breaks a rule now and then, and I have no moral reservation with breaking this rule.

This past January we sailed on the Mariner of the seas ,and I got the privilege of going to the "naughty" room because my wife packed a small electric fan in our luggage they said that was a no no , anyway when I was down there the room was full of booze that was confiscated out of luggage -I asked the guys who where scanning it if the people get it back at the end of the cruise,he said no , he also told me that in a few months they were upgrading their scanner and the new scanner would show alcohol blue on the screen and it was 100 % more sensitive than a dogs nose when looking for alcohol. I don't care either way ,I am not a big drinker , just passing on the info .

From all the discussions (this one issue appears more often than any other) the following conclusions can be reached:

There are products specifically designed to accomplish the objective, as well as many "homemade" innovations. The success rate appears to be around 50%, judging from what I've read on these threads.

Some cruise lines are more lenient than others, their equipment being less technologically advanced. There's also the matter of cruise line employees being less or more vigilant.

Wine is easier to bring aboard than liquor. It is actually allowed by several cruise lines.

More sophisticated methods to detect contraband are being developed. In this day of fewer families with discretionary income (and resultant fire-sale prices) any loss of revenue to the cruise lines is significant.

It's probably just a matter of time before the success rate becomes minimal. Of course, for every action there's a reaction, and the race to outdo the advances made by each side will intensify. It's enough to drive one to drink!

Al

• 5 months later...

Princess and HAL both allow wine to be brought on board according to their stated policy. That said, we bought a box of Black Box Chardonnay at a shop close to the pier in FFL. It was so old that the wine inside was bad and we dumped the whole thing out. It's cost was $29, Just be careful that you check out the boxed wines carefully before you buy them.

Don't try and smuggle on Celebrity, they've gotten really poopie on this. We had a CC party and a security guy was there and told us they've gotten very wise to the rum runners and the plastic water bottle thing. He also said they were getting more sophisticated scanners that will reveal booze, even when wrapped in clothes.

Archived