Le Havre

Jo and Rob

We have a two day stop at Le Havre on the Independence and would like to stay local. Is there a shuttle bus from the port to the town and is it complementary? What do you think are the highlights of the town and local area? I will be travelling with Oliver (8) and Emily (5) and would be interested in anything that may appeal to the younger generation as well.

I intend taking them to the Malraux gallery, has anyone been? I am a huge fan of impressionist art and want to add a little culture into the children's day. Apart from that I am pretty undecided. We are travelling in June on an extremely tight budget, but I imagine the beach may be a little chilly!

I would like to know if there is a little tourist train, or a tour of the town. Which days are the market days (we will be there Thursday and Friday) All ideas very welcome.

We have a two day stop at Le Havre on the Independence and would like to stay local. Is there a shuttle bus from the port to the town and is it complementary? What do you think are the highlights of the town and local area? I will be travelling with Oliver (8) and Emily (5) and would be interested in anything that may appeal to the younger generation as well.

I intend taking them to the Malraux gallery, has anyone been? I am a huge fan of impressionist art and want to add a little culture into the children's day. Apart from that I am pretty undecided. We are travelling in June on an extremely tight budget, but I imagine the beach may be a little chilly!

I would like to know if there is a little tourist train, or a tour of the town. Which days are the market days (we will be there Thursday and Friday) All ideas very welcome.

There are a few posts specific to Le Havre, though you'll need to sift through stacks of others promoting places to go from Le Havre. Accessible via the search icon, top right of this page but here's the direct link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=16584494

I've travelled through the town on numerous occasions, venturing into the town only once due to a major delay with a ferry return. I'll stress that was un-researched, but I found it pretty boring & featureless.

And as you'll see from the history of posts there are a number of options within a reasonable radius of Le Havre. My own favourites for a lazy "french" day are the pretty fishing/tourist port of Honfleur (limited bus service or taxi or hire car), or further past Honfleur along the minor roads to the twin towns of Trouville (fishing) and Deauville (beach), the two separated only by a river bridge. Money-wise, this time/distance really warrants a hire car.

Beaches are certainly warm enough in June if the weather is right, and folk certainly go swimming, but don't expect Caribbean waters :D

More adventurous would be to go further west to the D-Day beaches & sights. That's quite a distance (60 mls to Ouistreham at the eastern end of the D-Day beaches, 80 mls to the beginning of the US beaches just beyond Arromanches, 110 miles to the furthest sights/beach at Ste MereEglise/ Ravenoville) but easily achieveable by hire car if you have a long first day

JB

There are a few posts specific to Le Havre, though you'll need to sift through stacks of others promoting places to go from Le Havre. Accessible via the search icon, top right of this page but here's the direct link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=16584494

JB

I tried the link but nothing comes up, thanks for trying though

We were on Celebrity (same company!) end of April and they put on a regular shuttle bus (approx every 15 mins) into Le Harve that ran all day and the ticket was $12 per person.

This was a reusable ticket so you could go and come back as many times as you wanted to during the day.

I presume Royal would offer something very similar?

There didn't seem a great deal to do there.

We wandered around the shops, there is a small mall there (I got some great cocktail glasses! :rolleyes:) and took some photo's in the town hall square which was pretty and has flowers and ponds/fountains in.

There is some nice chocolate shops and bakeries too.

We went mainly for the boat (was the New one - Eclipse) rather than the port itself.

It also didn't look too far to walk if you wanted to - I reccon about 30 mins or so at leisurely pace.

We were on Celebrity (same company!) end of April and they put on a regular shuttle bus (approx every 15 mins) into Le Harve that ran all day and the ticket was $12 per person.

This was a reusable ticket so you could go and come back as many times as you wanted to during the day.

I presume Royal would offer something very similar?

There didn't seem a great deal to do there.

We wandered around the shops, there is a small mall there (I got some great cocktail glasses! :rolleyes:) and took some photo's in the town hall square which was pretty and has flowers and ponds/fountains in.

There is some nice chocolate shops and bakeries too.

We went mainly for the boat (was the New one - Eclipse) rather than the port itself.

It also didn't look too far to walk if you wanted to - I reccon about 30 mins or so at leisurely pace.

What did you think of Eclipse? We are going on her next year!

i just tried to send an e mail to the address you posted, but it wouldn't go thru. would you mind forwarding one of the emails they sent you so i can reach them that way? my e mail address is regent218@aol.com.

thank you

hal coopersmith

Sorry that I didn't see your post from over a week ago. I will forward you the rental car email right now. We are leaving tomorrow for Rome and our cruise so I will be able to post how it all went when we come back.

diane

Archived