St. Peter Port Guernsey money exchange

We booked a private tour for our family in Guernsey and I was wondering whether I should exchange money ahead of time as the driver will be paid in cash. This will be our first port in the UK. Is it a problem if I pay the driver in pounds sterling instead of the local Guernsey currency?

Thank you

Diane Kradel

We booked a private tour for our family in Guernsey and I was wondering whether I should exchange money ahead of time as the driver will be paid in cash. This will be our first port in the UK. Is it a problem if I pay the driver in pounds sterling instead of the local Guernsey currency?

Thank you

Diane Kradel

Pound Sterling is accepted in Guernsey 1:1.

But it could happen that Guernsey Pounds are not accepted in the rest of UK by everyone.

Regards

HeinBloed

Quite correct Guernsey pound notes can only be exchanged at banks in the UK,the coins are the same but sometimes shops will notice that they are stamped different, or you get a mixture in your change,its quite nice to see a 1£ note :):):)

Edited by gosport11
typo

Quite correct Guernsey pound notes can only be exchanged at banks in the UK,the coins are the same but sometimes shops will notice that they are stamped different, or you get a mixture in your change,its quite nice to see a 1£ note :):):)

BUT... we tried to exchange in an UK bank - some banks only do it for their customers... as we had no account in this bank: no chance.

To be safe:

Find the HSBC-bank in St. Peter Port:

2009NCLJADE30609-vi.jpg

They have an ATM which offers this service:

2009NCLJADE30610-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

BUT... we tried to exchange in an UK bank - some banks only do it for their customers... as we had no account in this bank: no chance.

To be safe:

Find the HSBC-bank in St. Peter Port:

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you very much for the pictures. Do you know how far the HSBC bank is from where we disembark? I would need to exchange money right away in order to pay the driver.

Thanks so much for all your help so far.

diane

Thank you very much for the pictures. Do you know how far the HSBC bank is from where we disembark? I would need to exchange money right away in order to pay the driver.

Thanks so much for all your help so far.

diane

Directly at the place where you arrive with the tender boat you make a right turn to the ferry office:

There is an exchange office in the ferry office.

If you turn left and go straight ahead and walk about 10 minutes into the shopping mile and see to a right side-street you find the HSBC-ATM.

We're going to pick up English pounds when in London during transit. If they don't accept it, then we are out of luck.

English Pounds and Pounds Sterling are the same.

So if you have withdrawn your Pounds in London before or bought some already before you leave the country you should not have any problems.

Regards

HeinBloed

When shopping if you ask for English money only in change then most shops will make sure they don't give you any Guernsey money (so long as they have enough in English money).

Many cash machines in the shopping area have notices on like the one in the picture so if you have trouble finding HSBC then you should be able to find another without too many problems.

Do they have a Barclay's bank on Guernsey? If I withdraw from a Barclay's bank I don't have to pay a fee since we are with Bank of America.

diane

I think it's easier to ask which bank is not represented in Guernsey...

Tax oasis... so many many banks...

Like Cayman Island...

see here:

http://www.barclayswealth.com/high-street.htm

Regards

HeinBloed

We're planning on taking the local bus in Guernsey. Does anyone know what we will need in currency for this? How much and will they accept pounds?

60 pence = 0.60 GBP per ride

see here: http://www.gov.gg/ccm/navigation/travel-transport/passenger-transport/bus-services/

AND ONE MORE TIME:

Coins are always Pound Sterling (English Pound)... only bills are Guernsey Pound.

As 1 English Pound = 1 Guernsey Pound you can also pay in Guernsey in English Pound.

Regards

HeinBloed

Do they have a Barclay's bank on Guernsey? If I withdraw from a Barclay's bank I don't have to pay a fee since we are with Bank of America.

diane

Barclays is very easy to find. The town church is the at the very bottom of the main shopping area. Barclays is the first bank you reach when walking from the town church through the high street. If I am remembering correctly the outside cash point issues Guernsey notes and the inside issues English notes.

The tourist office has a currency exchange inside so if you do end up with any Guernsey money go in there before heading back to the ship and they will convert it UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Guernsey notes can be exchanged 1 for 1 at the Bureau Exchange in the Dover port. I just did this on Saturday May 29. Another alternative is using the Guernsey pounds at the CAFFE NERO a Heathrow - they accept all major currencies for purchases.

We also were able to exchange our Guernesey Pound notes for British pounds sterling at the Dover port before you exit the terminal.

by the way..

we all LOVED St. Peter Port and the Island of Guernsey..took a drive around the Island and plan now to go back another time!

Sherry & Kimber

Our ship's purser would not and we did not know about the exchange in Dover until we were actually on the pier..it just took a second and they were very nice about it. Wish the ship had at least told us all that as many were quite upset. Enjoy Guernesey!!

Sherry

• 4 years later...

diane[/quote

From Global ATM alliance

Barclays United Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel Islands

It appears that the normal BA international fee will not apply at a Guernsey Barclay's ATM

However I was charged a fee for using a Deutsche Bank ATM in Italy. I did not memorize the country list in the Global ATM network, just the bank name.

Deutsche Bank Germany and Spain

Edited by mmt44