Crew member overboard on POA

I hope for further information about how this happened. Wonder if he was doing some maintenance work on a scaffold etc. It is good to know that all crew must train for these kinds of emergencies. I'm glad someone saw it happen and reported it immediately so action could be taken.

It's never good news to hear about someone overboard but, Hawaii water is about 80 degrees, off the west coast it's in the 50s and you have very little time to get rescued, he's lucky.

My husband and I were onboard the POA last week when this happened. It was about 8:30 AM when the code Oscar went out over the PA. The ship immediately stopped and turned around. We asked around to crew members what a "code Oscar" meant and no one would tell us. However, it didn't take us long to figure out for ourselves when we saw what was going on in the water. They rescued the man quickly and we headed over to Maui where he was taken off the ship in one of the lifeboats for treatment. We asked about the situation several times throughout the trip and although none of the crew would outright tell the story to us from start to finish, it was insinuated several times that the man was a crew member with personal problems and that he did not "fall" overboard. Of course I do not know this for a fact but it seemed to be the general consences from the other crew members. In any case we hope the man was okay and we definitely ended up with an interesting cruise story to tell.

He was lucky he got rescued.

I was on the Explorer of the Seas last week where our "code oscar" wasn't so lucky.

We were about 8 hours outside of San Juan Puerto Rico and it was pitch dark outside. We also turned around and searched for approximately 10 hours until the coast guard took over.

He was never found.

My husband and I were onboard the POA last week when this happened. It was about 8:30 AM when the code Oscar went out over the PA. The ship immediately stopped and turned around. We asked around to crew members what a "code Oscar" meant and no one would tell us. However, it didn't take us long to figure out for ourselves when we saw what was going on in the water. They rescued the man quickly and we headed over to Maui where he was taken off the ship in one of the lifeboats for treatment. We asked about the situation several times throughout the trip and although none of the crew would outright tell the story to us from start to finish, it was insinuated several times that the man was a crew member with personal problems and that he did not "fall" overboard. Of course I do not know this for a fact but it seemed to be the general consences from the other crew members. In any case we hope the man was okay and we definitely ended up with an interesting cruise story to tell.

I was on an NCL cruise way back in 2002 where a crew member fell overboard (and was successfully rescued) and we heard the same types of insinuations from the crew. It makes sense to me because it's pretty hard to just fall off a cruise ship.

Archived