Volcano and RCCL Customer Servive - BOTH to Blame...

I have read numerous threads about the Volcanic Ash issue and people seem to have one of two opinions.

1. Its all RCCLs fault and they should reimburse

2. Its nobody's fault (act of god) and you should have insurance or accept the responsibility when an emergency does happen.

I personally believe #2, but will say before you throw stones at people that believe #1, understand that my wife and I were truly affected by the Volcanic Ash issues and even more by RCCL Customer Service.

Our flight left Miami and made it to Rome, however the connecting flight to Venice was cancelled due to the ash. There were lines everywhere and despite our best efforts we realized we could not make it to Venice by 5pm, SO.....we went to plan B, which was to get to Dubrovnik Croatia, which was the first port. Before we bought our $800 plane tickets to croatia we called RCCL to confirm that the boat would leave as scheduled. The response from the agent was "the boat is leaving at 5pm with or without you"

SO, $800 and a few hours of waiting we were off to croatia. We got a hotel at the port and woke up expecting to get on the ship. To our dismay, we woke up to learn that the ship was not in port and due to a change in itinarary would not be coming until Friday (this was Sunday). We also learned that the boat did not depart Venice until 7am the Sunday instead of 5pm Saturday.

We were out of pocket for food and hotels and had to make the best of a dream trip for my wife.

I have talked to RCCL and I am STILL waiting a response as to what is going to be covered. The rest of the expenses will be submitted to our trip insurance.

So, with that being said, we have insurance for this situation, but I fully expect RCCL to cover the bulk of the cost since they changed the itinarary last minute and left us stranded after we contacted them to see what to do and they made it clear the boat is leaving with or without us.

Also, this only gives us back our out of pocket expenses. How can RCCL make us whole for the wasted flight to Europe and the fact that we were stuck 5 days in a place we did not want to be. Had the customer service person said "its an emergency we are still working it out" or somehting we could have changed out decision. Had we known we could have driven to Venice in time and got on the boat, which was all we wanted...

Now who is at fault and what should we expect from RCCL???

We can empathise with your situation . However, unless you have it in writing from RCCL ,I think that you will be hard pressed for RCCL to reimburse you . The best recommendation is to apply to your insurance company to get what you can . Also ,the cruise contracts stipulate that the ship can alter ports & when you buy a cruise you agree to the terms .

We are sorry for your troubles on a nice cruise & can only hope that you will find success through your ins company .

Best wishes

RCCL is at fault and should reimburse you all of the money you lost plus a proportional refund for missing your cruise.

If you had purchased your trip in the European Union, there would be no question as to your legal entitlement for RCCL to take full responsibility, and the matter would already have been settled.

I think after this volcanic ash incident, it is time to put an end to the free-for-all which exists in the United States as regards responsibility -- the cruiseline? the airline? insurance? the passenger?

I believe there should be a consumer lobby in the United States to enact laws similar to the ones that protect us here in Europe. Those of you who defend your current system because you believe that prices would go up really have nothing to worry about, since prices go up or down due to supply and demand, and not because a cruise line may have to pay out a few thousand refunds or hotels and flights for mishandled passengers.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We can empathise with your situation . However, unless you have it in writing from RCCL ,I think that you will be hard pressed for RCCL to reimburse you . The best recommendation is to apply to your insurance company to get what you can . Also ,the cruise contracts stipulate that the ship can alter ports & when you buy a cruise you agree to the terms.

Companies often keep recording of customer service calls. It's mostly for covering their own back sides against false claims, but could potentially be used in this instance to prove your claim. I really believe that RCI, in general, wants to do right by their customers. Maybe I'm naive in that, but if you talk to a supervisor and have the date and time of your call, they may be able to review the call for you and confirm your story. I think, in a situation like this, if they said you would be able to board ship in Croatia per the normally scheduled itinerary, then you should have a legitimate claim for the costs you incurred in trying to do just that.

I'm making some assumptions there, though, that you actually discussed your plan with the customer service agent. You actually only said that they told you the ship was still scheduled to leave Venice on time.

RCCL is at fault and should reimburse you all of the money you lost plus a proportional refund for missing your cruise.

If you had purchased your trip in the European Union, there would be no question as to your legal entitlement for RCCL to take full responsibility, and the matter would already have been settled.

I think after this volcanic ash incident, it is time to put an end to the free-for-all which exists in the United States as regards responsibility -- the cruiseline? the airline? insurance? the passenger?

I believe there should be a consumer lobby in the United States to enact laws similar to the ones that protect us here in Europe. Those of you who defend your current system because you believe that prices would go up really have nothing to worry about, since prices go up or down due to supply and demand, and not because a cruise line may have to pay out a few thousand refunds or hotels and flights for mishandled passengers.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Would you be a spokesperson for us to Congress .We like your way of reporting . unfortunately it is what it is here in the states & we have to live with our current laws .

I am a bit confused. If flights from Rome to Venice are shut down how did you fly to dubrovnik? I mean it basically the same flight route?

I probably would have tried to take a train or even a car if air travel was suspended, crazy person that I am.;)

JC

We did tell the agent on the phone that we were going to fly to croatia and while she did not say - Yes, do that - she did say that was an option.

I understand they reserve the right to change itinary and despite how it may appear - I am not mad at RCCL. Dissapointed that my trip was ruined by a choice they made, but understand that they made the best decision for them. I just ask that they accept responsibility for that change and reimburse me appropriately.

@xpcdoojk - Northern Italy was closed, but Rome and Croatia airports were operational and believe me, we tried rail and car, but after hours of waiting in line and an assumption the boaat was leaving at 5pm those options went out the window.

I am a bit confused. If flights from Rome to Venice are shut down how did you fly to dubrovnik? I mean it basically the same flight route?

I probably would have tried to take a train or even a car if air travel was suspended, crazy person that I am.;)

JC

Venice is pretty much north from Rome, Dubrovnik is pretty much east.

From what I remember seeing on the news, the problem was that Rome airport remained open, but Venice and Milan were closed.

At that point, Croatia had not closed its airports, so it was very feasible that a flight between Rome and Dubrovnik would operate.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I am very pleased to say that RCCL stepped up and reimbursed my hotels and meals for 6 days in Croatia!!! In addition they offered me a future cruise voucher for my missed cruise, which I am not sure I am going to accept. I am waiting on a response from my insurance as I would rather have the money back rather that a one year voucher. RCCL even went the extra mile and offered to give me credit for any amount of the cruise that insurance doesn't cover.

I am very happy with RCCL and think they handled the situation properly, although a couple that we were traveling with has been told 2 times from upper management that their claim will not be credited, so it depends on who you talk to. Good thing I gave them the contact info to the rep i went through at RCCL! :)

I cruise Royal and Carnival and don't have too much of a preference, but this will absolutely change my mind going foward.

Looks like with all the credits my wife and I will be able to re-book the same trip for October!!!

I am very pleased to say that RCCL stepped up and reimbursed my hotels and meals for 6 days in Croatia!!! In addition they offered me a future cruise voucher for my missed cruise, which I am not sure I am going to accept. I am waiting on a response from my insurance as I would rather have the money back rather that a one year voucher. RCCL even went the extra mile and offered to give me credit for any amount of the cruise that insurance doesn't cover.

I am very happy with RCCL and think they handled the situation properly, although a couple that we were traveling with has been told 2 times from upper management that their claim will not be credited, so it depends on who you talk to. Good thing I gave them the contact info to the rep i went through at RCCL! :)

I cruise Royal and Carnival and don't have too much of a preference, but this will absolutely change my mind going foward.

Looks like with all the credits my wife and I will be able to re-book the same trip for October!!!

That is excellent!

RCCL is to be commended in every respect for how they dealt with your problem.

Well done, RCCL!

Cruise lines always reserve the right to change itineraries at any time for any reason. Personally, I would have just done a land vacation in Europe, and filed a claim for the whole cruise. I just can't see chasing after a ship once the cruise has started.

Archived