Fuel Surcharge

2cruiserz

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to when you may NOT be charged a fuel surcharge if the cruise line you are booked on implements it? For example, you've already made your final payment, your within so many days of your cruise date, etc?

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to when you may NOT be charged a fuel surcharge if the cruise line you are booked on implements it? For example, you've already made your final payment, your within so many days of your cruise date, etc?

Please don't feed the animals

Nobody knows this for sure, so all people can do is speculate. Hopefully there will not be a fuel surcharge anytime soon as this time round oil has risen far more slowly and steadily, so the cruise lines have been able to prepare via pricing (in 2008 oil shot up so fast that the cruise lines were struggling to be profitable).

Royal Caribbean (Celebrity's parent company) did change the language in the Cruise Contract to allow them to charge people a fuel surcharge at any phase in the reservation process (i.e. even if paid in full, they reserve the right to charge you a fuel supplement).

My personal guess is that if they bring back a fuel surcharge, it would be appplicable to sailings after a certain specific date (probably 2-3 months out from the date of the announcement) and that it would apply to everybody (new reservations, depositted reservations and paid-in-full reservations).

Again, my hope is that fuel surcharges do not return. I think there is a good chance oil remains steady in the $80s for the time being or even drops down some, and the cruise line's current pricing should be adequate for oil at these levels.

There are different protocols for different cruise lines.

I just read today that CUNARD has implemented a fuel charge of $3.85 per person, per day, that will apply to all new bookings starting May 10, 2010, and will apply to all departures from November 1, 2010 forward. No fuel supplement will apply to bookings made before May 10, 2010.

The maximum each person will pay per voyage will not exceed $154.00, which means the fuel supplement will apply for 40 days before it is capped.

Three cruiselines have implemented fuel surcharges so far:

Due to escalating fuel prices, the following cruise lines have added a fuel surcharge. This charge is in addition to the cost of the cruise and any government taxes or fees. Bookings made on or before the effective date of a cruise line’s surcharge are exempt.

Cunard has just announced a fuel surcharge of $3.85 per person, per day (maximum $154 per person) for cruises departing on or after November 1 that are booked on or after May 10. Bookings made on or before May 9 are not subject to the fuel surcharge.

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has announced a fuel surcharge of $5 per person, per day (maximum $100 per person) for all bookings made starting May 5. If the price for a barrel of Brent crude oil falls below £45 per barrel the month prior to departure, the fuel surcharges will be refunded to passengers' onboard accounts as a shipboard credit.

P&O has just announced a fuel surcharge of $3.85 per person, per day (maximum $154 per person) for cruises departing on or after November 1 that are booked on or after May 10. Bookings made on or before May 9 are not subject to the fuel surcharge.

There are different protocols for different cruise lines.

I just read today that CUNARD has implemented a fuel charge of $3.85 per person, per day, that will apply to all new bookings starting May 10, 2010, and will apply to all departures from November 1, 2010 forward. No fuel supplement will apply to bookings made before May 10, 2010.

The maximum each person will pay per voyage will not exceed $154.00, which means the fuel supplement will apply for 40 days before it is capped.

If RCL & CCL stated charging a fuel surcharge it could decrease their bookings substantially . We are still in a fragile economy & it wasn't long ago that cruise ships were sailing not full & had to try & make up that slack on other charges at sea . Thus ,I don't see that in the immediate future even though the high end Cunard & Fred Olson decided to charge . Better that any up price in fuel be reflected in the original ticket price because add ons are glared at by the consuming public.

Big ticket items like autos are harder to sell with the way the public is thinking these days .That was in the May 3rd Edition of the Wall Dtreet Journal .JMVHO

Archived