River Countess - Bucharest to Basel - 9 Oct 2010

annenic

Just wondering if anyone else is booked on this cruise, or maybe doing a section of it....

It would be very nice to get a roll call going to be able to exchange ideas and information as well as build friendships with travelling companions before cruise actually begins. I must admit though it seems that the roll calls for the river cruises don't have a great following....not like the ocean cruise roll calls. So I will simply keep my fingers crossed for a few responses (toes too!).

This is the first time we will be doing a river cruise and are very excited - seen excellent reviews and it was so hard trying to choose which cruise to do!

Just wondering if anyone else is booked on this cruise, or maybe doing a section of it....

It would be very nice to get a roll call going to be able to exchange ideas and information as well as build friendships with travelling companions before cruise actually begins. I must admit though it seems that the roll calls for the river cruises don't have a great following....not like the ocean cruise roll calls. So I will simply keep my fingers crossed for a few responses (toes too!).

This is the first time we will be doing a river cruise and are very excited - seen excellent reviews and it was so hard trying to choose which cruise to do!

We will be on River Countess but in June - Vienna to Amsterdam. So if you have any questions, hopefully I will be able to answer them when we return (if you don't find what you are looking for here!)

This is our second river cruise with Uniworld and couldn't fault them.

Vera

Hello Vera. I'd love to hear all about your trip on your return - particularly the tours and any tips you might have .... about anything!!

Have a wonderful time - only another month or so before you leave, how exciting.

Anne

Hello Vera. I'd love to hear all about your trip on your return - particularly the tours and any tips you might have .... about anything!!

Have a wonderful time - only another month or so before you leave, how exciting.

Anne

Will let you know when we're back early July. We are going to Ireland first - I hope! Airports were shut again this week - and we could get stuck in Amsterdam!!!

Vera

• 2 months later...

As promised - review of our trip.

We had five lovely days in Dublin and also in Vienna. Not enough in each city - so much still to see. Highlight in Vienna, apart from a day at Schonbrunn Palace and Hofburg Palace was going to the performance of the Spanish Riding School (Lipizzan horses) held at 11.00 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays.

This was our second Uniworld cruise but have done alot of ocean cruising and this was definitely the best ever! There were only 94 pax mostly from US and Australia, then Canadians, NZ and South Africa.

Enjoyed all our stops but more so the smaller towns. The included tours each day had good local guides giving plenty of free time to explore on ones own. Optional tours - had been to Salzburg before so we opted to just stay in Linz and then enjoy the boat as it sailed up river. We did do the Saalburg visit to a rebuilt Roman fort which was interesting. In Cologne we went to Farina House (where cologne perfume originated) it's like a museum and shop now. Our friends went to the chocolate factory and somehow I think that would have been better!

The ship itself is lovely. We were upgraded to deck four and had a french balcony - nice to have fresh air. Food was excellent at every meal. As a past passenger, we had a bag of free laundry each week but there is a guest laundry with two machines and dryers. Two 'formal' nights - women didn't overdress - but majority of men did wear jacket.

I would love to do this trip again especially with the same captain and cruise manager (Tony) he was brilliant - I hope he is still there on your trip.

I'm sure you've got questions so fire away...

Vera

Thanks Vera - sounds fantastic....and you are right, I do have some questions.

I'd love to hear what it was about the Spanish Riding School that you enjoyed the most and why it was the highlight of of your trip. Also, how much you paid for this optional tour. I must admit, it is not one of the tours that I had considered doing but the very fact that you loved it makes me give it a second look.

Wow! Only 94 pax! That sounds great and to be upgraded too - how wonderful. Roughly what were the percentage of Aussies on board. One ocean cruise we were on there were only 13 Aussies out of a possible 2,500 pax - we were definitely in the minority :)

I'm just wondering about the gym on board. I've never been on a river cruise before but when doing an ocean cruise I've always enjoyed some time in the gym and particularly taking some of the stretch and pilates sessions. Does the River Countess hold any classes? And do you have any idea how busy the gym was as I imagine it to be very small fitness centre.

Money: Tips are always a bit of an issue for us - we don't mind tipping but haven't got a clue (especially in different currency) how much to tip. Are we supposed to tip the tour guide and drivers on the included and optional tours provided?

I really appreciate you posting your review - thank you so much and I am glad to hear that your trip was sooooo good.

Anne

Thanks Vera - sounds fantastic....and you are right, I do have some questions.

I'd love to hear what it was about the Spanish Riding School that you enjoyed the most and why it was the highlight of of your trip. Also, how much you paid for this optional tour. I must admit, it is not one of the tours that I had considered doing but the very fact that you loved it makes me give it a second look.

Wow! Only 94 pax! That sounds great and to be upgraded too - how wonderful. Roughly what were the percentage of Aussies on board. One ocean cruise we were on there were only 13 Aussies out of a possible 2,500 pax - we were definitely in the minority :)

I'm just wondering about the gym on board. I've never been on a river cruise before but when doing an ocean cruise I've always enjoyed some time in the gym and particularly taking some of the stretch and pilates sessions. Does the River Countess hold any classes? And do you have any idea how busy the gym was as I imagine it to be very small fitness centre.

Money: Tips are always a bit of an issue for us - we don't mind tipping but haven't got a clue (especially in different currency) how much to tip. Are we supposed to tip the tour guide and drivers on the included and optional tours provided?

I really appreciate you posting your review - thank you so much and I am glad to hear that your trip was sooooo good.

Anne

The Spanish Riding School performance was not an optional tour with Uniworld - we just went there and bought tickets the day before as we were in Vienna for a few days pre-cruise. Seats are 89 euros but you can get 23 euros tickets standing, on the upper floors but we let our heads go and it was worth sitting at ground level. They are just magnificently trained horses.

Our first river cruise there were five Australians, this time about thirty and maybe forty from US - fairly evenly divided.

There were a couple of machines in the gym - I don't think they were overly used! They had light stretching excerises in the lounge every morning around 7.30.

The local guides and driver are usually given one euro for a half day tour, two on a longer one. Reception desk can change notes for coins. Two envelopes are left on the bed last night for crew and for cruise manager gratuities.

Vera

In August 2008 the River Countess' small gym had a couple of bicycles and walking machines and a few weights. Its cooling was fine for an office but not quite up to gym needs. From the walking machine it was impossible to watch the river slip by if you exercised as you cruised. There were a few bicycles on board, a few opportunities to use them and many lovely places to walk or run on shore.

The gym paled into insignificance amongst the many other joys of the cruise. I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Archived