Veendam question - bed/bunk??

Set Free

We're going on the Veendam to Bermuda with the kids and my mother-in-law said that there's some sort of bunk in our room that comes down as a bed? We're in a large interior room and I see the regular bed(s) and a couch. I'm guessing the couch is a sleeper? Or is it just the couch and then as my MIL said, a bunk in the wall? But I don't see the bunk in the wall. Any ideas??

If I were you, I would call HAL and ask specifically about the room you have chosen. If your kids are little, there might be a problem to sleep in bunk beds that pull down from the ceiling. I've never seen any rooms with bunks that pull out from the wall, only those that pull down from a compartment hidden in the ceiling.

Is this stateroom meant to be a triple or a quad? It's my understanding that triples have a pull out sofa and quads have that and an extra fold-away bunk.

It's a quad. I messaged someone from HAL and they said that the room we're getting DOES have the bunk thing. We'll see how big the pull-out is since the kids are not huge and they're used to sharing a double sized bed on our own sailboat. If it's big enough, we'll just do that but then again, my son might like the bunk. :)

Now, one more question: I see there's a curtain between the couch and the bed. How much privacy will we be able to get? Will this be a "Kids! You're going to go to the kid's program now!" kind of thing or will we be OK if we're quiet after they are asleep?? LOL

Veendam quads are large enough, but not huge. Insides are about 182 sq ft (shower only, no tub), outsides are 197 sq ft, with a tub. The curtain you mention is decorative, it doesn't close to separate the bed from the sitting area (privacy). There is a curtain between the main part of the room and the entry-way (bathroom and closet area) which does facilitate changing when others are in the room.

With the quads, there are the two lower beds (which can be made into a queen), the sofa which converts to a bed and one upper, which descends from the ceiling electrically (operated with a key - the cabin steward does it). Once it's down and made-up for the cruise, it stays down. It really isn't in the way, although you can't walk on the side of the queen where the upper is, but you can on the other side.

All this info from a Maasdam (inside room) cruise in '04 with two adults and two smaller children and Veendam in '09 for 14 days (outside) with two adults and now two teenagers!

Yours might not look exactly like this, but here is a quad balcony on the Noordam, just to give you an idea of the drop down bunk:

Grrr.. editing because Firefox never works the way I want...

Here is a link to a post with a pic.. try post 11.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1167874&highlight=vista+quad

The sofa bed is a single/twin. Not a pull out type. Seat and back of sofa fold flat to become a bed. Very comfortable.

As mentioned, the bunk for #4 comes down from the ceiling above the regular bed.

Yours might not look exactly like this, but here is a quad balcony on the Noordam, just to give you an idea of the drop down bunk:

Grrr.. editing because Firefox never works the way I want...

Here is a link to a post with a pic.. try post 11.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1167874&highlight=vista+quad

Awesome! That helped a LOT.

fann1sh - Thanks. I understand how it works now.

You guys are great. :)

Archived