Bora Bora Beach Advice

Gordo

This fall we will be in French Polynesia on the Royal Princess with an overnight in Bora Bora. On our first day we are doing a private tour with Keishi Tours and so we were thinking for our second day we would hang at a beach with maybe a late lunch at Bloody Mary's.

We would love suggestions on a great beach where we can spend the day. Any idea on the taxi time and costs? Thanks for your help.

In Bora Bora, the best beach we have found is Matira Beach, I can highly recommend it. There will be shuttles at the cruise port which cost you only $5 each way per person to this great beach. AND, if you would like to stop at Bloody Marys either coming or going (as it is on the way there or back), they will drop you off and arrange a time to pick you up and continue on your way (no extra charge).

Here is one picture of the beach. It also has a covered pavillion that if it happens to rain a bit (which it does quite often), you have a place to take cover until it's over.

2443907580046132864S425x425Q85.jpg

Covered area.

2579843020046132864S425x425Q85.jpg

Toto2Kansas - that looks like the perfect place - thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know if they have loungers to rent? What about a snack bar and/or bathroom facilities? And would it be worthwhile to bring our snorkeling equipment?

Toto2Kansas - that looks like the perfect place - thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know if they have loungers to rent? What about a snack bar and/or bathroom facilities? And would it be worthwhile to bring our snorkeling equipment?

There were no loungers to rent that we saw at Matira Beach. No good snorkeling off the beach that we saw at all. In fact, very little snorkeling off the beach at any of the islands we have found in our many trips there. We just spread out towels and sat on them. Lots of sunny and shady spots. As for snacks, drinks and bathroom facilities. There was a small place for snacks and drinks, but VERY pricey, just down the beach. In fact, those that did buy drinks and snacks told us that they were the most expensive they had ever purchased in their lives. There is also a hotel right behind it, the Intercontinental if memory serves me correctly (we had friends staying there so we spent some of the first day at the hotel with them). They do have lounge chairs and facilities there, and you may be able to make arrangements with the hotel to use their beach and facilities for buying your drinks and other things there. We did see many that did just that.

Picture from the water of the overwater bungalows at the hotel that afternoon:

2445987900046132864S425x425Q85.jpg

Just one more thought. Tahiti is unlike the Caribbean, and except for the hotels that occasionally allow you access to their areas, we have never found a beach that 'rents' lounge chairs or anything else on the islands. It is an entirely different world from the Caribbean. ;)

There is a market down the road from Matiera Beach past the Intercontinental-Hotel--they have all the goodies youcan carry--as you are walking toward it --you will find it on your left--there is a place for lunch and pizza on your left called La Bounty and just as you start your trek to the market there will be a hamburger type place on your right not far from the hotel that opens at 11:30 am--it;s ok--there is a good dinner restaurant just around the corner from the alley from the hotel on the right--the BEST Mahi Mahi--bbelieve me--you wouldn't look at it and say--let's go for dinner--it's great--another good--most of the time place to eat--dinner only (I think) is keana Hut--same side of road as Bloody Mary's same side of street--pointed that way by one of the Bloody Mary owners---I wish I could remember the name of a water-side restaurant for lunch and dinner going the opposite way from the tender port--to your left--sits in the rear of a u-shaped building--with a parking lot in front on your left--

I'm ready--Let's go now !!!

Nancy:D

And if you are just walking around in Bora Bora, if you go left after you leave the pier, about 2-3 blocks in that direction, there is another little grocery store that sells everything from food to drinks to clothing. Not very far, and we have visited it many times in the past.

Thanks to both of you for the great information - and great pictures. We appreciate the suggestions which we know will come in very handy on our first trip to French Polynesia.

And if you are just walking around in Bora Bora, if you go left after you leave the pier, about 2-3 blocks in that direction, there is another little grocery store that sells everything from food to drinks to clothing. Not very far, and we have visited it many times in the past.

Do you remember how you paid in the grocery store? That's if you bought anything. I need to find out what money is used in Bora Bora. Or do you know if the grocery store will accept credit cards? Thanks.

Do you remember how you paid in the grocery store? That's if you bought anything. I need to find out what money is used in Bora Bora. Or do you know if the grocery store will accept credit cards? Thanks.

We used local currency (XPF). I never checked to see if they accepted credit cards, sorry. I would venture to guess though, that they probably would not. This is a local grocery store, and we rarely see many cruise passengers there. We just happened upon it years ago when just walking around to see what we could find.

I know I wasn't asked---- but you get my answer anyway--we have also always used their currency at the market and at the restaurants--we even use their currency to pay hotel bills--you can pick up some local currency at the Papette airport ATM or ATM's in Bora Bora right by the pier.

Nancy:D

Archived