Free Movies

I just read on another thread that NCL has done away with the free movie channel. Is this correct? Are movies only available via PPV ($12.95)?

Does anyone know if you can bring a portable DVD player and hook it up the TV?

I saw the thread about the PPV movies on the Gem and I asked the OP if it was because it was a TA cruise? Didn't get an answer, though.

We were on the Spirit recently and did not have PPV movies. The did show movies a couple of times in the Mahajara Lounge a couple of times during our repositioning cruise.

I saw the thread about the PPV movies on the Gem and I asked the OP if it was because it was a TA cruise? Didn't get an answer, though.

We were on the Spirit recently and did not have PPV movies. The did show movies a couple of times in the Mahajara Lounge a couple of times during our repositioning cruise.

they also had a couple of movie channel that ran for free.

The TV did have a couple of input ports on the front (video and mono only).

Hi Mary,

Nothing to do with a TA or regular cruise in the case of the Gem. I believe right from the get go they had PPV only, unlike the other ships. There's been some concern that PPV would be installed fleetwide but so far that doesn't seem to be happening.

They do run movies in the atrium but can be very hard to hear even though the big screen is pretty neat. Only PPV in the Gem cabins.

However, I did read one Star review where the poster said they did have movies on the TV but there was no published schedule. Even though it didn't give movie summaries, at least the schedule had the names of the films, day & time. The poster claims they even asked the room steward and was told they did away with them.:confused:

Sounds like you guys had a great trip on the Spirit!

Hi Mary' date='

Nothing to do with a TA or regular cruise in the case of the Gem. I believe right from the get go they had PPV only, unlike the other ships. There's been some concern that PPV would be installed fleetwide but so far that doesn't seem to be happening.

They do run movies in the atrium but can be very hard to hear even though the big screen is pretty neat. Only PPV in the Gem cabins.

However, I did read one Star review where the poster said they did have movies on the TV but there was no published schedule. Even though it didn't give movie summaries, at least the schedule had the names of the films, day & time. The poster claims they even asked the room steward and was told they did away with them.:confused:

Sounds like you guys had a great trip on the Spirit![/quote']

Hi Barb,

I guess our netbook will come in handy for mor than downloading our pictures and checking email. No way we'd spend $13 to watch a movie.

We had a great time on the Spirit! But, then again, we usually do have a great time on any cruise! Are the Groundhogs cruising again someday?

Pearl didn't have them last week.

NIta

I hope it stays that way! My DH can not go to sleep without watching a little TV and he enjoys movies.... I myself am happier with a book, hope things dont change in the next six months!

I hope it stays that way! My DH can not go to sleep without watching a little TV and he enjoys movies.... I myself am happier with a book, hope things dont change in the next six months!

I do too, but like you, I can live with the book. Give me my book and I am gone in about 15 or 20 minutes..

Nita

Not all the ships have connections for a DVD player in all cabins... and some that do have the connector in paces that are very hard to access. I would bring the player and the necessary cables for composite (RCA connections red-white-yellow) and give it a try if that is important to you.

There were two free movie channels on the Pearl last week. One played newer releases, like The Blind Side, the Invention of Lying, and the latest Twilight movie, and the other showed slightly older movies. One of the channels (21?) listed titles and times.

There were two free movie channels on the Pearl last week. One played newer releases, like The Blind Side, the Invention of Lying, and the latest Twilight movie, and the other showed slightly older movies. One of the channels (21?) listed titles and times.

21 is correct, we did have to go throw some NCL rah rah stuff like 2 or 3 other channels, but eventually they got to the schedule. We had wanted to see Blind Side so it worked out for us. We don't go on cruises to sit in the cabin and watch TV, but once in awhile it is a nice break.

Nita

Glad to hear the free movie channels are still available! :-)

On my last cruise (aboard the Dawn) they had stopped printing a weekly movie schedule. I even asked at the front desk and they didn't have copies available. Yeah, the schedule was on one of the promo channels, but you have to sit through 3 - 5 minutes of "crap" to get to it, and then it's just flashed on the screen for a couple of seconds. I definitely support efforts to cut down on the volume of paper distributed on the ship, but it seems like printed copies of the schedule should have been available "on request."

I'd gladly trade a whole week's worth of jewelry, spa and bingo ads for one lousy movie schedule! :-)

I think we should write all the cruise lines and tell them that they could have the ad's on a tv channel and save a bunch of money and be a lot more "green" by not printing all the junk up everyday - I don't think it changes from cruise to cruise. another choice would be to put all the ad's in the book in the cabin (the one that has menu's and phone listings?)

We're on GEM next January, and it will be sad if this is true in fact, that only PPV movies are available. That's what earns NCL that 'nickle and dime' nickname. I read a Gem review which said if you purchase PPV you can watch it throughout the whole cruise, anytime. I was thinking what type of selection do they have?! If they have Star Trek, Avatar and Iron Man, I would be set :)

We were on Dawn a month ago, and there were 2 free movie channels. We saw Twilight, Aliens vs Monsters, Blind Side, a few good movies. We like to book mini-suite-type cabins and lounge and relax.. and I love watching movies.

We're on GEM next January, and it will be sad if this is true in fact, that only PPV movies are available. That's what earns NCL that 'nickle and dime' nickname. I read a Gem review which said if you purchase PPV you can watch it throughout the whole cruise, anytime. I was thinking what type of selection do they have?! If they have Star Trek, Avatar and Iron Man, I would be set :)

We were on Dawn a month ago, and there were 2 free movie channels. We saw Twilight, Aliens vs Monsters, Blind Side, a few good movies. We like to book mini-suite-type cabins and lounge and relax.. and I love watching movies.

Nickel and diming, you are forgetting it isn't ship or fleet wide, apparently only the Gem has the PPV. I would not call one ships policy nickel and diming. As for why they are doing this, who knows, it seems the Gem is doing a lot of things a little different than the rest of the fleet..

Nita

Nickel and diming, you are forgetting it isn't ship or fleet wide, apparently only the Gem has the PPV. I would not call one ships policy nickel and diming. As for why they are doing this, who knows, it seems the Gem is doing a lot of things a little different than the rest of the fleet..

Nita

I guess you can say it nickel and diming to passengers on the GEM.

BG

I guess you can say it nickel and diming to passengers on the GEM.

BG

yep, I bet they can and would also bet very few bother to watch the PPV. I know I certainly wouldn't. I am not a huge TV watcher period, I would not pay $12.95 to watch a movie when there are so many other things to do on a cruise.

Nita

OH HELP ME I almost had to call up NCL and cancel our cruise in two weeks when I read the OP's posting on this thread and thought Mamma Mia would not be playing when we are onboard the Star. I plan on using both balconies that our stateroom has to lip sync the words to Money Money Money every time it comes on the TV. If you know the movie.. you know why I would do that on the balcony. LOL.

OH HELP ME I almost had to call up NCL and cancel our cruise in two weeks when I read the OP's posting on this thread and thought Mamma Mia would not be playing when we are onboard the Star. I plan on using both balconies that our stateroom has to lip sync the words to Money Money Money every time it comes on the TV. If you know the movie.. you know why I would do that on the balcony. LOL.

That is one of my favorite parts of the movie, but if you saw the stage production you might not like the movie quite as well. Yes, it was playing on the Pearl and no, we didn't pay a fee to watch it. Well, we didn't watch it, but if we had of, it wouldn't cost.

Nita

yep, I bet they can and would also bet very few bother to watch the PPV. I know I certainly wouldn't. I am not a huge TV watcher period, I would not pay $12.95 to watch a movie when there are so many other things to do on a cruise.

Nita

When we want a movie I wait till I go down to local market and get them for $1.50 or so from Redbox or DVdExpress-- just saw Blind Side that way.

BG

Archived