Disappointed in RCCL-Serenade was Good

Tried posting twice on Member Reviews- Don't know how get it posted, so I'll post here:

Just back from Serenade of the Seas. Really liked the ship- just the right size. It was not too big and most times did not seem too crowded. Had an aft corner cabin. Balcony held 2 lounge chairs, 2 sitting chairs and a snack table. Only problem was we awoke one morning to find the ship's chimney blew black soot all over the back of the ship. All decks were covered in soot and not realizing at first, my feet were black and scrubbing did not remove all the soot.

Before I get into our disappointments with RCCL, I'll give some positives. First of all, the crew was exceptional. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We also felt as if the crew was genuinely happy, not the forced friendly we have experienced sometimes. We feel this speaks highly of the Captain and the officers. Also felt the ship was very quiet, and of all our cruises we got the best night's sleep. There was always food available, and choices in the Windjammer should satisfy anyone. The Seaview Cafe was also very nice, both for lunch or a late night snack.

Our disappointment with RCCL is not one particular thing, but an overall feeling. This cruise had us reach Diamond status, but it could have been our first cruise with RCCL. We always told people there was something about an RCCL cruise that made you feel special, but not so this time. No pillow chocolates, had to take apart the towel animal for our 2nd towel, no shower cap or lotion, never fruit or treats in the room that we always received before. Repeater party used to be exceptional, now no better than Captain's party. Also the price of drinks is borderline outrageous. The cost of a drink is more than they pay for a whole bottle of booze. If these prices were lowered, they would make more money as most people will think twice before ordering a $9 drink. There was no passenger talent show, nor any adult late night comedy show. The overall feeling was just not up to par for RCCL.

Beware of the taxis when disembarking. Shared van with another couple to airport and each couple was charged $22- double the price it should have been. But, it was our decision to take the van anyway because it was so humid and we had to wait in line for 20 mins. till customs opened. Also found very strange that we never went thru immigration! Every ship I have ever been on calls for immigration on the ship, not this time, nor in the terminal, nor airport. Don't understand that.

Overall, we had a good time and always do, just very sad to see the decline in the little extras that made RCCL special. I know people will say the financial problems have hit them also, just sorry to have the special touches gone.

Tried posting twice on Member Reviews- Don't know how get it posted, so I'll post here:

Just back from Serenade of the Seas. Really liked the ship- just the right size. It was not too big and most times did not seem too crowded. Had an aft corner cabin. Balcony held 2 lounge chairs, 2 sitting chairs and a snack table. Only problem was we awoke one morning to find the ship's chimney blew black soot all over the back of the ship. All decks were covered in soot and not realizing at first, my feet were black and scrubbing did not remove all the soot.

Before I get into our disappointments with RCCL, I'll give some positives. First of all, the crew was exceptional. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We also felt as if the crew was genuinely happy, not the forced friendly we have experienced sometimes. We feel this speaks highly of the Captain and the officers. Also felt the ship was very quiet, and of all our cruises we got the best night's sleep. There was always food available, and choices in the Windjammer should satisfy anyone. The Seaview Cafe was also very nice, both for lunch or a late night snack.

Our disappointment with RCCL is not one particular thing, but an overall feeling. This cruise had us reach Diamond status, but it could have been our first cruise with RCCL. We always told people there was something about an RCCL cruise that made you feel special, but not so this time. No pillow chocolates, had to take apart the towel animal for our 2nd towel, no shower cap or lotion, never fruit or treats in the room that we always received before. Repeater party used to be exceptional, now no better than Captain's party. Also the price of drinks is borderline outrageous. The cost of a drink is more than they pay for a whole bottle of booze. If these prices were lowered, they would make more money as most people will think twice before ordering a $9 drink. There was no passenger talent show, nor any adult late night comedy show. The overall feeling was just not up to par for RCCL.

Beware of the taxis when disembarking. Shared van with another couple to airport and each couple was charged $22- double the price it should have been. But, it was our decision to take the van anyway because it was so humid and we had to wait in line for 20 mins. till customs opened. Also found very strange that we never went thru immigration! Every ship I have ever been on calls for immigration on the ship, not this time, nor in the terminal, nor airport. Don't understand that.

Overall, we had a good time and always do, just very sad to see the decline in the little extras that made RCCL special. I know people will say the financial problems have hit them also, just sorry to have the special touches gone.

Customs and Immigration are now one entity, if you went through customs you also went through immigration

Sorry it didn't have that special feel for you. I can't empathize too much with the issue on fruit/treats or shower cap and lotion in the room, as I don't recall ever having those on an RCCL ship. I miss the pillow chocolates a little, but we just brought our own little bag of chocolates on the Voyager.

The welcome back party on Voyager was the same as I remember it from past cruises, and they had some really good late-night comedy. In fact, it was some of the best overall entertainment I've seen on a cruise. I've always thought the drinks were a little on the high side, but lately I'm into drinks like the mojito and caipirinha, which were quite reasonably priced at $6 each. The drinks of the day are a good deal, but the selections didn't appeal to me at all this time. They were just a little too much on the sweet side. I think that may be more of a change in my tastes over time than in the offerings, though.

I don't ever remember getting fruit and treats, unless I used a travel agent and they sent it to me, or on our back to back RCCL sent us a couple of things on the second leg.

Thanks for taking the time tto post your review.

My take on the drink prices...they are less expensive on the ship than they are at any major hotel chain lounge or restaurant where we live or travel to. But then again I would not be buying a $9 bottle of rum or vodka.

I found the service on my recent cruise on the Serenade to be exceptional. I think it's all about expectations. Being a lowly gold member, I'm not expecting any freebies. I'm constantly amazed at how well I'm treated on board - as if I were someone actually IMPORTANT! The Serenade crew was even a step above what I've come to expect. Our waitstaff (Rupesh and Catherine) became like part of the family. We hated to leave them. Everyone we dealt with the WONDERFUL! Can't think of a single thing to complain about!!

Customs and Immigration are now one entity, if you went through customs you also went through immigration

Not if you're not showing a passport, it's not!

Your were on a closed loop itinerary......meaning you started and ended at the same port.........so you did not have to show your passport when disembarking the ship to go home. We did a b2b on Serenade disembarking on 4/24 and did not have to show our passports either.

We also shared a taxi to the airport with our 2 friends and we paid $22 total for the four of us.

We still love RCCL but I have noticed their customer service is not as high as it used to be. We do not get towels animals every night anymore. No more small gifts for the C & A members and they do not respond to complaints in an appropriate fashion. I did not express my disappointment when we were on board regarding a shore excursion but I did write in on my customer satisifaction survey along with sending an email when I got home. Then one day whe I was talking to the C & A people I told them about this no response issue and they supposeably transferred me to someone to talk to and that person literally said that he could not help me at all (he was in Iowa or something like that - since when does it matter where a person is located before they can help you - what has happened to customer service nowadays?!?). I think not having the little things sometimes makes one think about looking at other cruise lines - if you are getting the same thing on every one then price is what I look to.

When I was on the Serenade I asked the cabin steward for a shower cap. He got one for me, and he said he had to search high and low for it. What's up with that. Why aren't things like that more available? :confused:

We started cruising in 2002. Other than the chocolates, we have never even had the things you say you miss. Meaning the shower cap, lotion, fruit and treats. Perhaps it is because we have never had a suite? Has it been a long time since you cruised? :confused:

We've been cruising with RCI for 25 years and for us, it just keeps getting better and better. Most of the things you mentioned don't bother us in the least. The reason there's not a passenger talent show on the Serenade is that the itinerary is so port intensive.....there's just no time to get enough passengers together for it. We'll be doing a B2B in about 6 weeks! Can't wait!

We started cruising in 2002. Other than the chocolates, we have never even had the things you say you miss. Meaning the shower cap, lotion, fruit and treats. Perhaps it is because we have never had a suite? Has it been a long time since you cruised? :confused:
Same here. I think the OP is either remembering things from a different cruise line or used to sail in suites and/or got gifts from their TA and didn't realize they weren't standard.

Probably the incinerator, especially if you were in a lower deck, the exhaust from it is off the back and it's particularly black. The last I knew the ship itself still had the smokeless gas turbines.

If this cruise had you reach Diamond level, you were not yet Diamond and would have got none of those perks. Shower cap, lotion, fruits & treats were never part of the standard RCI amenities as far as I know. Towel animals have always been made from towels already in the room, they've never brought in extras for that purpose.

From what I recall that's the way it's done in San Juan if you take the van.

I've been sailing with RCI since January 2002 and except for the chocolates don't recall ever getting most of the special touches you missed so much

When I was on the Serenade I asked the cabin steward for a shower cap. He got one for me, and he said he had to search high and low for it. What's up with that. Why aren't things like that more available? :confused:

Would not be surpised if he told you so hoping for a better tip.

I don't know what kind of alcohol you drink, but in my world there are no $7 bottles of Crown Royal....and yes, that is what a top shelf glass of liquor cost (not sure what you were drinking....the fruity drinks can sometimes be a little more; but on South Beach those same drinks will cost you $15).

We were in a JS on our last cruise and we had shampoo/lotion, etc. It's not standard in a balcony room....and not on any of the comparable lines either.

Fruit and treats?

Towel animals were made every night on my cruise and from extra towels. If that is really important to you then tell your attendant on the first night.

Enhanced toiletries are now only being placed in JS cabins and above as part of their suite enhancements program.

I don't know what kind of alcohol you drink, but in my world there are no $7 bottles of Crown Royal....and yes, that is what a top shelf glass of liquor cost (not sure what you were drinking....the fruity drinks can sometimes be a little more; but on South Beach those same drinks will cost you $15).

We were in a JS on our last cruise and we had shampoo/lotion, etc. It's not standard in a balcony room....and not on any of the comparable lines either.

Fruit and treats?

Towel animals were made every night on my cruise and from extra towels. If that is really important to you then tell your attendant on the first night.

I disagree with the statement in red, carnival does provide shampoo, lotion, conditioner and disposable razors. We've had standard balcony rooms and those items we're always there.

Same here. I think the OP is either remembering things from a different cruise line or used to sail in suites and/or got gifts from their TA and didn't realize they weren't standard.

Never had a suite, my last cruise was last July, (roundtrip from same port and went thru immigration- cruise did not go to St. Croix) my memory is just fine, ammenities I refer to were from cruise line, not TA. Maybe most of you are "new" cruisers and don't know how cruises used to be. That was the point of my review- the decline in the way things used to be.

This was our 23rd cruise- I think that allows me to have an opinion and also know how things work on a cruise. Maybe some of you will appreciate my review and see it for what is was..... Those that think sarcasm (which is nothing more than anger) is funny are the ones that need to take their own advice- RELAX.

Sorry most of you have not enjoyed the perks of previous years, which obviously had nothing to do with being "a lowly gold member", as that's when we started to experience this treatment.

I've always found these boards to be very informative...and I take people's opinions to be just that..someone's opinion.

Those that think sarcasm (which is nothing more than anger) is funny are the ones that need to take their own advice- RELAX.

I'm sorry...I never mean to be rude... :( If I was, please forgive me...In my country 90% of the people never had the chance to cruise in cruises like the ones from RC...That's why I'm feeling so happy and so thankfull for being aboard...For me it's not really important little chocolats and things like this...But If it's important for you, I must understand and respect it... please once again forgive me for my words, ok?:)

As does Princess, along with fresh fruit and choclates on the pillows.

Happy Sailings,

Anne

Next Cruise - Explorer of the Seas - 12 Nights - Nov. 2010

I disagree with the statement in red, carnival does provide shampoo, lotion, conditioner and disposable razors. We've had standard balcony rooms and those items we're always there.

Never had a suite, my last cruise was last July, (roundtrip from same port and went thru immigration- cruise did not go to St. Croix) my memory is just fine, ammenities I refer to were from cruise line, not TA. Maybe most of you are "new" cruisers and don't know how cruises used to be. That was the point of my review- the decline in the way things used to be.

This was our 23rd cruise- I think that allows me to have an opinion and also know how things work on a cruise. Maybe some of you will appreciate my review and see it for what is was..... Those that think sarcasm (which is nothing more than anger) is funny are the ones that need to take their own advice- RELAX.

Sorry most of you have not enjoyed the perks of previous years, which obviously had nothing to do with being "a lowly gold member", as that's when we started to experience this treatment.

I've always found these boards to be very informative...and I take people's opinions to be just that..someone's opinion.

Even if this would have been your first cruise it would allow you to have an opinion. :rolleyes:

I´m sure many people on here cruise for decades, I´m cruising for about 15 years now and have been on a similar number of cruises like you. I guess you´ve spread your business between different cruiselines just like I did, but I´ve probably cruised a fair bit more on RCI than you, given the fact that you just reached Diamond after this cruise.

Royal has changed over the last 15 years for sure, just as everything in life has changed.

I agree with you about the chocolates, they have been there from my first cruise until last year when they stopped them unless you are in a suite.

Towel animals - 15 years ago you didn´t get them every night. You got them a few times during the cruise which made them more special and I think it´s a good idea to make less of them, especially thinking about the additional laundry they cause when given as additional towels.

Fruits and other treats - in all my years cruising on RCI these have been a perk given for suites and Diamond / Diamond+ cruisers. If you got them in non-suites and at gold level, you are either special or it was a mistake, but nowhere has this ever been the norm.

The same goes for bathroom amenities. Bar of soap and some shampoo/conditioner has always been the norm, though the shampoo used to be little packets in the past until they went to the dispensers. Again I like the dispenser better.

Those that think sarcasm (which is nothing more than anger) is funny are the ones that need to take their own advice- RELAX.

Or maybe those who think that sarcasm equates to anger are the ones who need to relax. :rolleyes:

Archived