What's in your wallet?

edgeman61

While on a cruise vacation I don't see a need to haul all the stuff I normally carry in my wallet while at home in the real world.

Other than DL, insurance card, cash and one or two credit cards what else should one carry? Possibly a list of phone numbers?

We'll be in Alaska in about a week and a half. I plan on getting a vacation wallet so I don't have to go to all the trouble of taking everything out that I don't need, I'll just take anything out that I will (might) need.

Thanks

While on a cruise vacation I don't see a need to haul all the stuff I normally carry in my wallet while at home in the real world.

Other than DL, insurance card, cash and one or two credit cards what else should one carry? Possibly a list of phone numbers?

We'll be in Alaska in about a week and a half. I plan on getting a vacation wallet so I don't have to go to all the trouble of taking everything out that I don't need, I'll just take anything out that I will (might) need.

Thanks

I am like you, I don't see a need to sit on a fat wallet and take a chance on losing all that stuff. In addition to your list I take a debit card as well, just in case I need extra cash. I also carry my Masonic membership card in case I see a lodge to visit.

In addition to what others have mentioned, I keep a list of Emergency Contacts in case we are in an accident, get in a jam, or have something stolen that include contacts for the following:

Cruise line

Travel agent

Travel insurance

Airline

Cell phone company

Group Legal

Health insurance

Banks of any credit card or ATM card we take with us

Family

Pet sitter

Neighbor (who has access to my house)

Roadside Assistance

Travel Assistance (credit card companies and health insurances offer this)

Serial #'s for electronics (cameras, laptop, etc. in case they are lost/stolen)

I'm able to fit all of this on a 1/2 sheet of paper in small print. We have a copy in each person's wallet, backpack, and an extra copy in our cabin in case all the other copies are lost or stolen.

If you are flying into or out of Vancouver you will need your passport as well. I am not positive, but I believe that if you take one of the White Pass railroad excursion options that takes you into Canada, you will probably need to have your passport with you for that excursion.

If you are flying into or out of Vancouver you will need your passport as well. I am not positive, but I believe that if you take one of the White Pass railroad excursion options that takes you into Canada, you will probably need to have your passport with you for that excursion.

We didn't need our passports on the White Pass Railroad excursion but we didn't exit the train until we were back in Skagway. It's my understanding that, if you are doing the train ride only, you don't need it, but if you are doing one of the excursions where you get off the train, you need it..

I just bring my wallet as usual, but park it in the safe in our suite, taking only what I need each day.

Trying to anticipate what I might or might not need for the entire trip isn't worth the effort.

For anything I don't usually carry there is the internet which would cover most other information I might need to cancel credit cards, bank cards etc.

Thanks

I also phone my bank (thinking of my debit card usage) as when the final account bill was paid, though I had $$ avail, it exceeded my single purchase $$ amount limit and was declined. (OK - my onboard account was over $500 for the week).. So, inform your bank you are traveling and just verify your 1) daily purchase limit 2) single transaction limit.

Hint: When writing down your card # and ccredit card of bank phone numbers, always reverse some. (I happen to reverse the last 4). That way if anyone finds your paper, they don't have your true #.

Thanks

I always take out all the stuff I don't need and put it somewhere, I like YOUR IDEA much better!!

Don't think you enter Canada on this...

from the NCL website:

After reaching White Pass Summit, the international boundary between Canada and the U.S., you'll begin your return journey down the White Pass & Yukon Route. Note: The 4:30 pm departure of this tour is referred to as the 'White Pass Evening Summit'. For more details about this tour please visit: http://www.wpyr-ncl.com

Don't think you enter Canada on this...

from the NCL website:

After reaching White Pass Summit, the international boundary between Canada and the U.S., you'll begin your return journey down the White Pass & Yukon Route. Note: The 4:30 pm departure of this tour is referred to as the 'White Pass Evening Summit'. For more details about this tour please visit: http://www.wpyr-ncl.com

We change from the train to a motorcoach in Fraser for the return to Skagway and Chilkoot Charter tours told us to be sure and bring our passports.

We always empty our wallets and take only what we need. DH and I each take a different credit card so if one of us loses theirs and we need to cancel it, we have another card with us. DH also needs to remember to take his union card in case they ask for proof for the union discount. (they haven't asked yet though)

My DW and I are also going to take separate credit cards. I thought of the AAA card too as they booked our cruise and we are getting their rate on our Seattle hotel. I also thought about our frequent flyer card but I know my number and the airline could probably look it up. I need to take the hotel loyalty card while I'm thinking about it (mental note).

Last year I took everything out of my wallet that I didn't think I would need, my wallet looked something like a partially deflated balloon.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep thinking.

I am also one who has a "travel" wallet that I put what I need for a vacation. I always take a couple of credit cards, my driver's license, health and dental insurance cards, my AAA card, a store loyalty card if I plan to go to a grocery or drugstore, and my ATM card as well as cash and traveller's checks. It cuts way down on the large wallet I use daily that has all the store loyalty cards I use, etc.

Archived