Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

Hi everyone ~ first the great news. Heard from friends on St. John last night and they weathered Earl well. 80 mile an hour winds with little damage. But now I'm worried about Gaston. What with the sudden line of hurricanes heading for my island!!!!

lcmslady ~ I am familiar with Concordia Eco-tents and they get GREAT reviews but I'm way beyond the age of "roughing" it on vacation. I much prefer a real roof over my head, a real kitchen to cook in, a real bed to sleep in :). That is one of the best things about St. John. There are plenty of wonderful options to stay in all price ranges. Makes it a great destination for everyone!

Steve ~ we're well....just swamped with work (a good thing) and ready for football season!

Edited by Host Anne

Hi everyone ~ first the great news. Heard from friends on St. John last night and they weathered Earl well. 80 mile an hour winds with little damage. But now I'm worried about Gaston. What with the sudden line of hurricanes heading for my island!!!!

lcmslady ~ I am familiar with Concordia Eco-tents and they get GREAT reviews but I'm way beyond the age of "roughing" it on vacation. I much prefer a real roof over my head, a real kitchen to cook in, a real bed to sleep in :). That is one of the best things about St. John. There are plenty of wonderful options to stay in all price ranges. Makes it a great destination for everyone!

Steve ~ we're well....just swamped with work (a good thing) and ready for football season!

Anne - I'm definitely beyond 'roughing' it but thought that there weren't many options beyond camping. That's definitely good news!!

Cindy ~ there are lots of options....everything from private villas (which we love and they come in all price ranges) to Gallows Point type condos to resorts to small inns. Plenty of options for all kinds of budgets. In fact, I just read about a cool bed and breakfast out in Coral Bay that I'd consider if we go back alone!

I'll begin by saying I LOVE St. John. We have been heading there for years (and taking fellow passengers with us) each time our ship docks in St. Thomas. I even love the adventure and anticipation of getting there (grabbing a taxi, arriving at the Red Hook ferry, watching St. John grow closer as we cross the channel). It does take a little bit to get there but for us, it's worth it.

There are several reasons I'd recommend going on your own (or with a small group from your ship): You can go and return on your own schedule; you can go early and beat the crowds (we always get off the ship as early as possible and catch the first available ferry); you'll save money. While a sailboat excursion will give you a sense of the beauty of St. John, I think the experience is better if you take the ferry to the island, explore and enjoy the wonderful views and beaches from on land.

To get there, regardless of where you dock, hop in a taxi and head to the Red Hook Ferry dock. The ferry to Cruz Bay St. John leaves every hour on the hour. If you make the 9:00 AM ferry, you'll beat the crowds and have more time on the island. It's only about a 20 minute ferry ride. When you get off the ferry there are bunches of taxis waiting to take you to the beach or on an island tour or both. It's about $6 per person from the dock to Trunk Bay with a couple of wonderful scenic overlooks on the way (my avatar is taken from the Trunk Bay overlook). It is a spectacular island.

If you want to rent a car, they run about $70 - $75 for the day and are typically small jeep-type vehicles. The drive on the other side of the road here so be prepared for that. If you just want to relax and enjoy, I'd suggest taking the taxi to the beach.

Trunk Bay is by far the most popular beach. It has the marked underwawter snorkeling trail and it is a beautiful beach (you can see it in my avatar). There is a $4 admission fee for Trunk Bay. If snorkeling isn't key, I'd suggest going to Cinnamon Bay, the next major beach down from Trunk. It, too, is very pretty, snorkeling not as good but no admission fee.

Trunk Bay and Cinnamon both have a decent beach snack bar (burgers, chix fingers, etc) and a place you can rent beach chairs (not the best shape) and snorkel gear (OK stuff).

There are many other gorgeous beaches along the north shore of the island. Hawksnest (has restroom facilities but not food/chair renta) and Maho (no facilities) are two of my favorites. Taxis will take you to any of them. Taxis are readily available at Trunk and Cinnamon all day long.

If you prefer a nicer lunch, there are also lots of nice restaurants back in Cruz Bay within walking distance of the ferry dock. www.stjohnguidebook.com gives you plenty of suggestions and they are all pretty good.

Heading back, I'd recommend you take a ferry that leaves Cruz Bay no later than 3 hours prior to your ships departuer. If your ship leaves at 6:00, I'd take the 3:00 PM ferry back to Red Hook at the latest. That will get you back on St. Thomas by 3:20 with plenty of time for a cab ride back to your ship. There are always plenty of cabs at Red Hook waiting to take passengers back to ships, too.

I should add that we, too, have vacationed on the island. We've been there three times for a week vacation in the past ten years. It continues to be my favorite island. Here's a link to photos from our trip to St. John last summer: http://stjohntrip2009.shutterfly.com/26?size=All&startIndex=0

Enjoy whatever you do.

Thank you for all your very detailed information! :)

We have been to St. John several times and it is, indeed, one of our favorite islands. Last time we rented a jeep when we got there because on our prior cruise renting a car in St. Thomas hit some serious time crunches. We had no problems riding through St. John. One of the first beaches was right off the road and had barbecue grills. The beach was beautiful. Anyone know the name of the beach? It was before Trunk Bay and on the left.

Those interested in renting a jeep remember to include your costs for gas. When we got gas, we had only a 50 dollar bill and the owner said he could accept it if we bought his Christmas CD. Well, it has become a family joke because every song sounds the same...so bad but we loved it. The gentleman then referred us to a restaurant around the curb (many curbs) that was on the sea. So romantic, coral beach, the caribbean and its islands was the view with shade trees providing gentle breezes. Chickens at our feet and a goat named Heidi and her herd friends made this one of our most cherish adventures, ever! Does anyone know what restaurant this could be? It was after the gas station that was at the peak of the island and the restaurant was on the left. We would like to return to this restaurant. By the way we ordered chicken wings figuring they would be fresh.

We like to snorkel, having our own equipment but he is not a strong swimmer [yes, we use vest] Been to Trunk Bay, where else should we go? Our ship gets in at 8 and leaves at 6 on a Sunday in December. Our ship, the Serenade, will be one of two ships in at St. Thomas, the other the Enchantment. We plan to get off the ship asap and will take the 3 pm ferry back to St. Thomas.

Oh, if you drive in St. John watch for animals on the road! We encountered a deer, a cow and goats.

Your advise is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the spelling.

oc pat

Bernie ~ the ferry leaves every hour on the hour (so 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 PM, etc). Woody's is what I would call a "dive" bar/restaurant....a good dive but a dive nonetheless. Definitely a fun place. Small but a favorite of alot of people. If you are looking for grouper fingers, fries and a cold beer you're set! But then many of the places on the island are similar. My husband wears his Woody's t-shirt all the time.

OC Pat ~ could you be thinking of Sweet Plantains at the east end of the island? There aren't many restaurants right on the beach that I'd put in the romantic category. Did you have lunch or dinner there? The beach before Trunk Bay you are thinking of was likely Hawksnest. Very pretty. You can also snorkel at Cinnamon which is the beach just after Trunk Bay. ENJOY!

We had lunch there. It was a cement building with the patio on the water. I think anytime you can dine on the coral shore in the Caribbean with just your hubby the romance begins to bubble over. So the restaurant itself wasn't that romantic. It was the surroundings and the fact that we were the only ones there. Thanks for the snorkeling advise.

OC PAT

I agree a home in St. John would be the gateway to Heaven!

Anne-I do not think it was that place. It was isolated and there were no businesses or moored boats in the cove. We may just have to go on our memory and hope we find it. There's only so many turns on the island. It was after the sugar mill. Thanks again

OC PAT

The Summit has a 6 1/2 hour tour which takes you to and from St John via a 45 min boat ride (probably the bumpy ferry). You tour the town before exploring on your own for over 3 hours. The total cost is $40 which may be a little more than going on your own but we wouldn't have to worry about being late returning. Has anyone done this and if you have, do you have to stay with the group in the beginning or can you take a taxi whenever you want? We're the only ship in St Thomas that day so that should make it much less crowded. Just how bumpy is this ferry?!?

Hi Martins ~ when it says you "tour the town" and then you are on your own for 3 hours, does it mean the town of Cruz Bay on St. John? There isn't much there "to tour." The town itself is just a couple of blocks long and wide and is filled with shopping and restaurant. If it included an "island tour" that would be different but if it's $40 for transportation and a run through town, you need to factor in the additional costs you'll have to pay once you get there to go to any of the beaches or see the island. I hope I'm making sense. And yes, if the ferry ride is 45 minutes, you'd be leaving from Charlotte Amalie, the bumpy ride :-)

Since you are the only ship in St. Thomas, I'd be going it alone. Nothing will be crowded and getting to and from St. John will be relatively easy on your own. But I certain appreciate those who feel more comfortable doing a ships tour.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi Martins ~ when it says you "tour the town" and then you are on your own for 3 hours, does it mean the town of Cruz Bay on St. John? There isn't much there "to tour." The town itself is just a couple of blocks long and wide and is filled with shopping and restaurant. If it included an "island tour" that would be different but if it's $40 for transportation and a run through town, you need to factor in the additional costs you'll have to pay once you get there to go to any of the beaches or see the island. I hope I'm making sense. And yes, if the ferry ride is 45 minutes, you'd be leaving from Charlotte Amalie, the bumpy ride :-)

Since you are the only ship in St. Thomas, I'd be going it alone. Nothing will be crowded and getting to and from St. John will be relatively easy on your own. But I certain appreciate those who feel more comfortable doing a ships tour.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks, Anne. You have been a wealth of information! I'm not sure which town but assumed that it would be where the ferry lets us off since I couldn't imagine them transporting us elsewhere for that price. We are comfortable going on our own but from what I read it seems like we would have to pay almost as much to do our transportation. I think we'll wait until on board to get more details and then make a decision.

Sue

Patton ~ the important question is what time does your ship leave St. Thomas. Often ships that arrive late, leave a little later too. That can work to your advantage if your ship sails at 7:00 PM or later. By the time you get to St. John some of the AM people will be heading back. As long as you are in St. Thomas until 7 or 8 PM, I'd be going to St. John.

We have visited St John once and St Thomas several times. We generally rent a car and Tour the Island.

Would you recommend a car rental or Taxi for a day in St John? Car rentals are generally fairly reasonable, however when you factor in fairs I wonder if a taxi maybe as good?

Jack

Jack ~ it's almost a personal preference. When it's just two or three of us we always rent a car (jeep-type) on the island. As long as you are comfortable driving on the other side of the road (and since you've done it before I'm guessing you are), having a car allows you to go where you want, when you want. We can go a long way in a day on St. John in a car.

A taxi is a little different. The are all safari-type taxis so they hold a fair number of people (8 - 20+). If you have a group of people, this is the way to go. It's easy and if you can take over an entire taxi they'll take you anywhere you want to go. If you are just two people joining a taxi that is filling for an island tour, that can be nice as well, but you will likely just get the highlights and not get off the beaten path that you could in a taxi where you've rented the entire vehicle. For example, last year we took a group of 12 to St. John, rented a taxi for the day and ended up in Coral Bay for lunch at Shipwreck Landing. You won't get that on a general island tour.

If you do want to rent a car, I recommend making a reservation long before you arrive. It can be tough to get a rental car the day you arrive without a reservation.

Whatever you decide, have a GREAT time!

A taxi is a little different. The are all safari-type taxis so they hold a fair number of people (8 - 20+). If you have a group of people, this is the way to go. It's easy and if you can take over an entire taxi they'll take you anywhere you want to go. If you are just two people joining a taxi that is filling for an island tour, that can be nice as well, but you will likely just get the highlights and not get off the beaten path that you could in a taxi where you've rented the entire vehicle. For example, last year we took a group of 12 to St. John, rented a taxi for the day and ended up in Coral Bay for lunch at Shipwreck Landing. You won't get that on a general island tour.

Hi Host Anne, I have a family group of 6 who will be stopping in St. Thomas via cruise ship and we will be making or way over to St. John. We plan to be on the 9 AM ferry, and eventhough the ship does not sail till 6 PM, we would probably like to be back on the ship around 4-4:30 PM. Originally, I just thought that maybe we would all go to the beach, but others might enjoy an island tour. So, I was wondering, is there time for all of us to do an island tour, and have snorkle time? Your comment above mentioned renting a private taxi to go of the beaten path. I think we might prefer what you suggest as opposed to a general island tour.

So, can all 6 of us fit in such a taxi if we were to hire privately?

What might be the cost?

What do we ask for so that we do see more of the island as you describe, and not find ourselves with just the general tour?

How do we go about hiring such a taxi? Where do we find them?

After such a tour, what time do you think we'd finally get to the beach for some snorkle time, or would there be time to go to the beach?

Thanks!

Host Anne (or anyone who may know),

OK, I've read this thread and a few others and I just want to make sure I've got the timeframe for getting to/returning from St. John right. I also have a couple questions.

So tell me if this sounds right: I'm on the FOS w/a group of four adults--we dock from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. If we get off right away, we should be able to make the noon ferry at Red Hook. We should make sure we're on the 4 p.m. ferry from Cruz Bay back to Red Hook to allow plenty of leeway time.

Now, about the beaches. I think we'd want to either Trunk or Cinnamon Bay, based on what I've read here. I understand Trunk has an entrance fee...but Cinnamon does not, correct? Which would you recommend between the two for snorkeling? I've read that Trunk has facilities, but does Cinnamon? Do you walk into both beaches and then swim out to where you snorkel? Also, we have our own snorkeling equipment, but can you rent JUST a lifevest at either of these beaches?

Thanks! Your recommendations/opinions between Trunk and Cinnamon are most appreciated.

dnewscruiser,

You'll get differing opinions on this - here's mine:

If it were me, I'd go to Cinnamon. No entry fee, and they do have bathrooms and fresh water showers.

If you've never snorkeled before the marked underwater trail at Trunk is a nice novelty, but since you said you have your own gear I'm guessing you're not new to the sport.

*I* think the snorkeling to and around Cinnamon Cay is vastly superior to that around Trunk Cay. Part of the reason may be that Trunk Cay is closer to the beach and therefore easily accessible, even for folks that may not be strong swimmers.

At Cinnamon there is a reef line that runs from near shore almost out to the cay - it's actually just a little beyond the imaginary line you'd draw from the beach to the cay, but you can see and follow it easily enough.

I don't know about the vests. I believe that they're pretty cheap and don't take up much space so it might behoove you to buy one before you go. That would give the person that is going to use it a chance to get familiar with it anyway.

Every time I've been there we're staying on the island so I don't know if you can buy food at Cinnamon or not, but even if I was planning to eat lunch at Trunk, if I was coming from Cruz Bay I'd probably buy a sandwich in town to take with me.

Enjoy!