Kona snorkeling advice

debr

We'll be going to Kona in October on the Carnival Spirit so I hope you will all report on your experiences when you get back. We would like to do the Fairwind excursion as we did that MANY years ago on their old boat and it was wonderful then and we've heard nothing but good things since then on the new craft. We too are concerned about getting to the boat by 9am. Have a great cruise everybody. Look forward to your comments. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I still have not booked Kona as I really want to do the Fairwind.

We get it supposedly at 7am, and I do have a car rental in Kona at Enterprise.

I figured that way we would have transportation after snorkeling if we wanted to do anything.

I am leary to book, as you can not refund, however I just think that is enough time. Any thoughts

My other plan is the boats Captain Zodiac, or SeaQuest.

I need help!

Rene

We'll be back from the Body Glove snorkel around 1:30pm. Is that enough time to zip down to Kealakekua Bay for a bit? And how would one best zip down? Taxi? about how much? NCL Wind sails at 5pm.

Mahalo,

John

You can't exactly "get" to Kealakekua easily...at least not to the actual bay. You either have to boat/cayak in or a hike (about 3 miles each way). I think there's also a hike along the bay with some ocean swimming involved (not sure if I remember this correctly). In any case, "zipping" down by taxi would not be cheap and all you would see is not much of the bay. No way would you have time to actually get to the bay and then get back to the ship for the last tender unless you are extremely fast. I don't know if there are afternoon snorkel trips or cayak trips, but that may be an option (esp if it's through the ship's excursions).

Sorry about that, but it really is not easy to get to the bay to snorkel.

If you want to snorkel on your own for the afternoon, I suggest going to Kahalu'u (much closer and also very good) or Honaunau (Place of Refuge is a national park and very interesting, plus you can snorkel easily, but it's even farther than Kealakekua).

I'm not sure if this helps.

beachchick

Agree with beachchick. You can certainly zip down to the entrance of the bay by car but not much to do there. You need to get out to the far side of the bay and/or the middle of the bay for the good snorkeling spots.

Spleen

Second the recommendation for Kahaluu Beach. Closer to Kona (about a 10 min. drive), and good snorkeling. Easy entry, a good variety of fish and lots of turtles. There is a beach bar b/t Kahaluu and the Keauhou Beach Resort where you can get food and beverages.

Becki

Archived