Newspapers onboard....

jax

Does Cunard print out international newspapers off the wire to have available in the library? Its just not the same to read the New York Times or any other recognized periodical off of the internet, in my humble opinion that is.

In past years they did, but last year when we we're on, they had stopped the practice. We asked why and got a lame answer.

My dh had to have a daily paper so we paid around $4 a day to get it delivered. Everyday but Sunday. As I recall the NYT was more expensive so he got the WSG or USA today.

Cunard does put out a one sheeter for everyone still.

I've just got off the QV and some days there were three full copies of the Daily Mail in the library.

On the QM2 last year there were ones off the wire in the library.

I've just got off the QV and some days there were three full copies of the Daily Mail in the library.

On the QM2 last year there were ones off the wire in the library.

When we were on in May of last year, they definately did not have them, I know we complained about it, as did others. If you saw them there last year then I can only assume they changed the policy. That's great. It will save us some money this August when we sail!

Of course this is all a moot point if you're in the Grill classes...

I hope they still have the papers off the wire in the library - I remember thinking how tremendous it was to have that offered! The entire notion of offering "news at sea" along with your daily program is quickly becoming a thing of the past, sadly.

Here were the papers in the Library onboard QM2 in 2008:

web.jpg?ver=12232272030002

We visited the library every morning on QM2 in Feb and March and there were no signs of any papers ever. The two sheet paper printed daily onboard was always yesterdays news so if we wanted up to date news we used the tv. Problem there was, in the regions we were in (Pacific Rim, Aus/NZ and across to South Africa there was often no sigal available.

David.

They definitely discontinued printing the newspapers on the QM2. When we asked why last year, we were told that the printer was broken. I think they did not want to admit it is just another cost cutting measure.

it is now cunard policy to have the new requested sent to your stateroom to save wasting paper on multipul copies which may not be used, that was the answer i got when booking yesterday.

I'm betting that comes at a cost as well rather than getting a free view in the library.

No cost. Just ask your room steward, or you can pick up the daily news-sheet in the purser's office; for TAs it comes in US, UK, French and German flavors that I know of, maybe others. But it is not the same as the [New York] Times Digest we used to get on QE2.

No cost. Just ask your room steward, or you can pick up the daily news-sheet in the purser's office; for TAs it comes in US, UK, French and German flavors that I know of, maybe others. But it is not the same as the [New York] Times Digest we used to get on QE2.

Hey thanks, that's good to know - I would love to sit on my balcony reading the paper each day. Do you know if this is the full paper (from your country of choice) or the snapshot handout they give to you each evening?

I think I would happily pay for a paper to be delivered to my room each day - but perhaps I should quit before I shoot myself and others in the foot as Cunard look for another way to rake in the dollars!

Six-page newssheet with pages about 8" by 10"; it will give you the high points of the news, sports and markets, but it is definitely not a real newspaper. On the other hand, given how generally bad the news has been lately, it is a good excuse not to have to go into the details.

If you take a netbook with you as we do, you can download a PDF of the [NY] Times Digest each day and read it offline, but on screen.

Some full newspapers were available in Queens Grill last autumn, but since I am in "lower orders" this month on Queen Mary I am quite willing to pay for the wire copy of the New York Times. Considered dowloading it on my computer or kindle but it is just not the same to me. Plus the internet charges onboad that would accrue might be quite hefty.

fortunately with Kindle there is no internet charge but then you're out at sea - wonder if you can still pick up books/newspapers etc while sailing? would it pick up the ships wireless or are you without till you get close to shore.

Love my kindle!

Yes you are quite correct. I even investigated the kindle international model but the signal was not available over the oceans. But then I just don't care for digital editions of periodicals. Though without ANY newspapers onboard I might be forced to do the digital Times edition. That new Ipad has a better viewing screen than the kindle but it is too heavy to hold. I still really, really prefer to hold and caress a book.

Hello

I was last onboard QM2 in Nov 2009 and the daily complete newspapers both UK & US were printed and available in the Concierge Lounge on 9 deck every day - you could if you asked in the Lounge borrow these and return them later to the Lounge!

Regards,

RJMS74

Yes, the newspapers both British and US are in the concierge lounge on the 9th deck mid ships. Some days it can be busy in there and you may have to wait to get a copy.

They're printed off on A3 paper and left on the book stand

Archived