stone island on your own in mazatlan

moorefun

help cc ers

wy wife and i are going on a cruise and want to do horse back riding but dont want to sign up because of the 830 pick up we like to enjoy breakfast and not hurry

i understand there is a water shuttle to go to stone island

can we use it and just go and enjoy it on our own

any info is greatly appreciated

thanks

Hi, we're on your cruise and going to Stone Island on our own. I am told we turn left after leaving the port and walk 3 blocks to the water taxi. It's only $1.00 per person. Totally agree there's no reason to get up early. We're on vacation!! Laurie

Who are you going to ride horses with when you get over there, and how will you get from the dock to where the horses are? Do you know of a company that will have horses available for you when you get over there? I don't know of anyone who will let you ride on your own and don't know for sure of anyone who will let you walk up and sign on for a ride? Someone who has done this and had a great time, please respond.

Who are you going to ride horses with when you get over there, and how will you get from the dock to where the horses are? Do you know of a company that will have horses available for you when you get over there? I don't know of anyone who will let you ride on your own and don't know for sure of anyone who will let you walk up and sign on for a ride? Someone who has done this and had a great time, please respond.

I will be organizing a large volleyball tournament on Stone Island in 2006 for a group of volleyball players going on Pride. I went there to check things out in November. Yes, you can go there on your own via a water taxi/ferry walking distance of the port and yes, you can go horseback riding on your own for under $10 an hour.

I did not speak to anyone who went riding, but we did make our own way over to Stone Island using the $1 ferry and spent pretty much the entire day there, interviewing the restaurant owners along with government officials regarding our plans. The vast majority of riding tours - there are several - are way over priced. The one sponsored by Carnival includes food and drinks, but the others, only transportation to the island and horse back riding. Time spent on the island after riding is only about 90 minutes or less. Stone Island is not really an island - it's across the channel and about 5 minutes away by boat. The ferry terminal is three block away.

I really liked Stone Island, and it's perfect for what we want to do. Many of the restaurant owners run their own B&B's - popular with Europeans and have horses. Riding seems to be the thing to do here, so most of the people we spoke with asked if we were interested in going horseback riding.

Probably the most well know is Randi's Happy Horses. But most ships offer a similar tour as well. All the restaurants along the beach on Stone Island pretty much serve the same menu items and all have chairs and umbrellas on the beach. A bottle of Corona was $1.50; about $12 for jumbo garlic shrimp lunch platter - not quite enough for two, though. We've made arrangements with Lety's - next to Victors - to support our tournament. But just about any restaurant you go to will sufice. I know Randi uses Visctors (next door to Lety's) which is also very good, but when Randi's group was there, they pretty much filled up the place.

Hope this helps. If you want directions to Stone Island, let me know.

Suzi

SUZI

thank you i have been reading a lot of your posts and they have been very helpfull

we leave 2/28

i have a horse ride set up with miguel s happy horses but am considering canceling it so we can just wake up eat and go on our own instead of having to meet at 8 30 in the am

you think we should just do this on our own?

I just booked a tour with King David. The guide will pick us up at 9:30 at the pier, the 5 1/2 hour day is $38 per person which includes lunch, open bar, the tour and trip to Stone Island and two of five activities like boogie board, banana boat, snorkeling, horseback riding, etc.

I'm 25 yr old female & am going on a cruise w/my dad & his clients.

In Mazatlan, they plan to do the city tour where they see the divers, shop, and watch a Papantla Flier show. I'd prefer to do something more sun-n-sport-n-sip like Stone Island -- is it safe enough to do on my own?

I'm very well travelled, adventurous, and speak Spanish proficiently -- just want get your opinions. THANKS!

I'm 25 yr old female & am going on a cruise w/my dad & his clients.

In Mazatlan, they plan to do the city tour where they see the divers, shop, and watch a Papantla Flier show. I'd prefer to do something more sun-n-sport-n-sip like Stone Island -- is it safe enough to do on my own?

I'm very well travelled, adventurous, and speak Spanish proficiently -- just want get your opinions. THANKS!

Especially if you are used to traveling in Mexico alone, you should have no problems. I personally take no issues with the locals, as we have been all over Mexico and I am used to their ways, but not knowing where you have been alone, I would be inclined to say, it may not be for you. I found the locals in and around the port area very rude and unhelpful; timeshare sales people are all over and can be quite aggressive; the worst I have seen anywhere in Mexico. Once on Stone Island, you'll find it very low key and what you are looking for. But getting there might be more "education" than what you are looking for. Keep in mind, I am talking about the people in the PORT - not so much so outside the gates, although the few people we encountered were not what I would call helpful. Suffice it to say, the port authority should "clean house" and get rid of those nasty time share/tour operator types. It's enough to turn anyone sour who is visiting Mazatlan for the first time!

It is a 20 minute ride on inferior horses. Hugo is great. The lunch is a plop of beans a plop of rice and a skimpy little fish dish.

You get what you pay for.

Buck

That's ok - I really didn't want to horseback ride (although I must say I'll be very upset if the horses look abused). I was mainly interested in getting there, having a drink and lounging on the beach all day. Might do a banana boat ride or somethin'.

What about Randi's? Have you tried both, Buck?

We took King Davids tour a few years ago, and we loved it! It was the best excursion that we did on our cruise. I'm by no means a horse expert, but the horses looked healthy and certainly not abused. I don't really know what the inferior horse comment means...

I preferred having only a 20 minute horseback ride. It was plenty and allowed us more time to just relax and enjoy the beach.

Don't miss the banana boat ride. It was lots of fun.

The open bar consists of beer, some kind of premixed fruity drink, and some sort of punch. I don't remember any other drinks available, at least not that were included in the package. You may have been able to purchase other cocktails. I don't really remember what lunch was. It was fine, but nothing special. I was thinking it may have been rice, beans, chicken and a small quesadilla.

Hugo kept things lively with games on the beach, and we let some baby sea turtles go into the ocean.

I would definitely recommend this tour. If you're really into horseback riding, it may not be enough for you. But for our family, it provided more of a balanced and relaxed day than just horseback riding most of the day.

As I mentioned before, we have a group going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in 2006. Our tightly monitored message board has lots of good information pertaining to the ports of call, our ship and cruising in general. Although it's mainly for our members, we get lots of visitors, so feel free to stop by.

You'll have to join to access our archives, however, you won't get any annoying email notifications. If you don't want our monthly group newsletter sent your way once a month, please indicate "no email". Here is a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/volleyballcruise2006/

By the way, we have no more rooms to sell, so this is NOT to promote our group. I'm just willing to share our resources.

Suzi

Hey Sailfish -

... thanks for the information, but could you explain just how to get to the location to catch the water taxi to Stone Island from the cruise dock? Certainly don't want to ask directions of any of the hawkers at the dock... I'll never get rid of 'em...

I've heard 'left then down three blocks' ... really that easy?

thanks again

Just tell one of the taxi drivers, on the street not at the terminal, where you want to go and it should be no more than $3usd from the port.

Then the water taxi and then to the Island and then either walk, about 7 minutes or so, or take another taxi. I still and always will recommed Victors restaurant on the beach. We eat there all the time and it is great.

We stay here for the winter. Who needs snow when you can have a great beach and sun.

Hope this helps.

Buck

Buckgillbert, I think you may have the best answer. We are looking for a clean beach with chaises & shade, and clean facilities where we could spend the morning. We like to swim and walk. Would you recommend Stone Island or El Cid (or somewhere else?) I like to be on the beach early, and am afraid that if we have to listen to a timeshare shpiel at El Cid, we will get to the beach just in time for the hot,strong sun.Thanks.

P.S. I am really jealous. It was -19 here today and we are expecting a snowstorm!

The answer to the why question. There are 2 docks to the Island. The one you can walk to, you have to walk about half a mile to reach the restaurants the other is closer to the restuarants. That would be the only differece. If you like to walk take that water taxi that is closer to the terminal.

I hope this helps. I, myself am a person that likes walking.

Buck

OOOOOOOH.... now I understand why some describe the ferry dock as being far, and some as being close to the cruise dock...

I just couldn't understand how it could be three blocks away, when the one Randi's HH uses was a 10 minute cab ride...

Myself, like you, don't mind a little walk... so if I take the boat closer to the cruise dock I will have to walk a little farther on SI to the beach. Tell me, is the route to the beach pretty obvious, or do I need directions to it too?

... and thanks, Buck, for the great info...

OOOOOOOH.... now I understand why some describe the ferry dock as being far, and some as being close to the cruise dock...

I just couldn't understand how it could be three blocks away, when the one Randi's HH uses was a 10 minute cab ride...

Myself, like you, don't mind a little walk... so if I take the boat closer to the cruise dock I will have to walk a little farther on SI to the beach. Tell me, is the route to the beach pretty obvious, or do I need directions to it too?

... and thanks, Buck, for the great info...

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you - I was out of town.

To get to the $1 ferry "terminal" (if you want to call it that) is very simple. Once you get off the 3 minute shuttle bus that takes you from the ship to the ship's tourist port terminal, you simply make your way through the first buliding (the one where the bus drops you off at) to the outside, where you will see more shops. Walk straight a head and on your right, you will see a gate to the outside. Simply walk outside, turn left and walk straight ahead about 3 city blocks, until the road curves to the right. Do NOT continue on the road. At that juncture (it's very obvious), you will see a small hand painted sign (when we were there it was on the ground) with an arrow pointing to the Stone Island Ferry Terminal to the LEFT (it will be in Spanish, but it's very obvious). The Ferry Terminal is a small shack. The boat that takes you across the channel is an an open hauled "panga" - the trip takes about 5 minutes. It's very primitive, but there will be people there who will be doing the same as you, who probably speak English. Save your ticket, as you will need it for the ride back. Once you get to Stone Island, it's a short walk to the beach.

There are indeed two terminals - but the other one is further away. I was told that the Ferry on the other side of the port stops further away from the beach. It's a much larger boat, capable of transporting a lot of people and supplies - you'll see boats coming and going to and from Stone Island from the ship when on the starboard side to your left - those departing from the main ferry terminal. All the tour boats depart from there as well. The smaller ferry departs to the right of the ship.

Keep in mind that Stone Island is NOT an Island - it's a peninsula. There is a very large luxury resort on the other side. If you walk along the beach, it's all the way to the end. You could drive there, but it would take a long time. To get to the beach, the smaller ferry is your best bet.

Suzi

Yes, once on the Island you will have about a 15 minute walk to any of the restaurants if you take the closer taxi. I'm not sure which is cheaper. Time or an extra 5 bucks. That would be your decision.

We always take the taxi to the regular dock. Then either walk, about 5 minutes, or take a taxi to Victor's. No more than 3 bucks.

That would be your decision.

Have a great one,

Buck and Sharon

OK, let me get this straight.

We get off the tender and hop on a bus that will take us to the building where we can exit to the "outside". Then we have a couple of options.

1) Exit the terminal (maybe incorrect term) then we turn left and walk 3 blocks to the "near" dock, take water taxi to Stone Island and walk another 15 minutes to Victor's and the beach.

2) Exit the terminal, grab a cab to a "farther away" dock, take a different water taxi to a different port on Stone Island where we are much closer to Victor's and the beach.

Does that sound correct?:) :)

OK, let me get this straight.

We get off the tender and hop on a bus that will take us to the building where we can exit to the "outside". Then we have a couple of options.

1) Exit the terminal (maybe incorrect term) then we turn left and walk 3 blocks to the "near" dock, take water taxi to Stone Island and walk another 15 minutes to Victor's and the beach.

2) Exit the terminal, grab a cab to a "farther away" dock, take a different water taxi to a different port on Stone Island where we are much closer to Victor's and the beach.

Does that sound correct?:) :)

You know, I don't know exactly how far the larger ferry boat landing on Stone Island is from the beach, but my guess is you will have to take one of those "open air" taxi's to the beach or Victors from there. That's what most tour groups end up doing. The water taxi's landing is walking distance to Victors - it didn't take us more than 10 minutes to walk along the beach - Victor's is on the far end of the beach.

I know Randi's Happy Horse people take their groups to Victors, but I don't see what makes Victors so special. I checked them out, as I did every restaurant along the beach, as we are taking a large volleyball group to Stone Island in 2006. Although I thought Victors was a nice, clean place, their staff didn't impress me much. They seem to want to cater more to tour groups and to Randi's people than someone coming off the beach. If they have room, they will accommodate you, I'm sure. One other reason we didn't go to Vistors was there were very few lounge chairs under umbrellas. We also didn't care for the waiter we met, so we moved on. Their menu was pretty much the same as every restaurant along the beach - same items, same price. Lety's, next door, made their own corn tortillas fresh for you, which I liked - I saw the tortilla man go to Victors. After checking out the other restaurants, we settled on Lety's for our group next year, as she had fresh water showers and changing rooms next to her bath rooms. Lety's was very clean and her's was the only restaurant where we met the owner. She even showed us her kitchen - she was very proud of the fact that she kept her cooking area so clean.

The other restaurants, along the beach, from what I could tell, offered the same jumbo garlic as did Lety's and Victors. I chose Lety's not because I thought her food was better, but because her place had showers and changing rooms and she was willing to accommodate our large group. Many of the other restaurants said they didn't want our large group - go figure!

There is one restaurant that hosts the tour groups from Carnival - the one where the waiters wear uniforms. That restaurant was by far the nicest along the beach, but I don't recall it's name; it's bathrooms were filthy, so this place was off of my list! There are also a few places that looked a little dirty, which conerned me. The only other differences I could tell were in beer prices. Some places charged $1.50 for cerveza, while a few places charged $2. I came across one place that charged $1, but I didn't feel comfortable eating there. Lunch will run you $7-$10pp plus drinks. I believe we paid $8 or $9 at Lety's for jumbo garlic shrimp - about the same at all of the restaurants. A large dish of guacamole and salsa will cost you around $3.

I would recommend you walk along the beach and check out the restaurants, like we did. The one that appeals to you is where you should go. Not all restaurants had lounge chairs and umbrellas - most only had tables with umbrellas and chairs. Lounge chairs were also high on my list. Once you settle on a restaurant, enjoy your day!

Suzi

Archived