Madeira anyone done the taboggan run

Hi, did this back in the 1970's very exilerating and enjoyable, hard work for the "pullers and Pushers" or whatever they are called though. Cant' help you with the cost but I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

yep, done it 3 times, and definately worth doing, we loved it.

we went once with the ship tour, and the next 2 on our own.

last time in 2005. i think the cost then was about 10 euros each in the toboggan,and then about 10 euros pp to go up in the cable car, which is a 15 minute walk from the port. (great ride, but don,t look down if you are not good with heights.:o )

on the way down there is someone taking photos, and by the time you reach the bottom, they will have them ready and waiting to show you if you are interested.

If we went back to madeira, i am sure we would still go and do it all over again, its great fun, and different !!!

Yes did it last year and good fun. We did it as part of an organised tour (RCI) so not sure of the price. We had the coach pick up afterwards but independant visitors do need transport back into town afterwards (maybe walkable but not sure). We saw peple waiting at the bus stop being subjected to some pretty high pressure taxi sales pitches.

Our organised tour included cable car, gardens and tobbogan. Don't remember the cost but I'm sure it wasn't particularly expensive or we would not have done it.

We did it last year and think with the exchange rate it was quite expensive-maybe £50 for 4 of us. It was a great experience to remember though.

We walked back to town, didnt realise how far it was but we managed it with 2 children.

Can't tell how much it is but on top of the initial cost the men look for a (generous) tip and will also try to flog you an expensive photo. The sled goes down narrow streets also being used by other traffic and stops well away from anywhere so you will probably have to add a taxi fare on as well. Lastly your holiday insurance will not cover you in case of an accident (which happens from time to time).

If that hasn't put you off the easiest way to get there is by the cable car (one-way ticket) then walk towards the church at Monte (pronounced Mont not Monty) and you will find the sleds there.

oh! come on you guys, you have to buy the photo if only to see and remember the look of pure horror on your faces as you career down the steep road with no brakes apart from a mans shoe rubber... i can even remember the smell of burning :D

HI just read your post and having cruised into funchal in january I can tell you what we did and what it cost -- we walked to the cable car from the port and it took a very pleasant 30 minutes ish the cost for thse cable car was 10 euro each one way on the top we had a very pleasant drink on the Patio bar next to the exit looking down towards the port lovely in the sun we walked down the road to the baskets run the cost for a double persons trip is £24 it goes down half way towards the town and then its a rip off cab fare which seemed cheaper the more we walked - but on a lovely day and lots of Photo oportunities its a long haul but the backs of our legs knew it the next day as its quite steep in places - we then walked arround the marlet and a very interesting fish section huge tunas etc. and onto the front for some roasted chestnuts - then a drink on the Beatles boat with some of the crew from our ship all in all a realy memorable day full of fun --- good luck

Hi all im putting together my list of things to do on my cruise in oct im really interested in doing the taboggan run in funchal madeira it looks great fun,has anyone tried it also can anyone give the cost of it please.

Archived