15-year-old on the Solstice

nadalina

I am taking my granddaughter on the Solstice May 30 cruise.... just the two of us. It is in celebration of her 16th birthday, but she won't actually turn 16 until a few days after we return from our cruise. I used to sail with Celebrity almost exclusively but not for a few years now, and I have never taken either of my granddaughters with me so I am unfamiliar with the onboard policies regarding places a 15-year-old is not allowed to go. Could some of you enlighten me, please? For example, if I go into a lounge for a cocktail and sit at a table, not at the bar, would she be allowed to accompany me? I have purchased the Premium beverage packages for both of us, hers is the non-alcoholic one, of course, but I am just wondering if she would even be allowed into this type of venue. She is a lovely young lady who is taller than I am and quite poised for her age and obviously would be dressed appropriately for whatever time of day it is. Many thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Peggy

I am taking my granddaughter on the Solstice May 30 cruise.... just the two of us. It is in celebration of her 16th birthday, but she won't actually turn 16 until a few days after we return from our cruise. I used to sail with Celebrity almost exclusively but not for a few years now, and I have never taken either of my granddaughters with me so I am unfamiliar with the onboard policies regarding places a 15-year-old is not allowed to go. Could some of you enlighten me, please? For example, if I go into a lounge for a cocktail and sit at a table, not at the bar, would she be allowed to accompany me? I have purchased the Premium beverage packages for both of us, hers is the non-alcoholic one, of course, but I am just wondering if she would even be allowed into this type of venue. She is a lovely young lady who is taller than I am and quite poised for her age and obviously would be dressed appropriately for whatever time of day it is. Many thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Peggy

I am quite sure that your granddaughter will be allowed to spend time with you in all the lounges.

The only venue where she will not be allowed will be the disco bar (no sure of its name on Solstice) AFTER 11PM, when the minimum age is 21 (it may be 18, not quite certain about this point). She will not be served any alcoholic drinks (obviously) but she can have anything else.

You and your granddaughter will have a great time and I only wish more teenagers would spend more time with their grandparents and others of the older generations. Our society would benefit greatly from these interactions and I think our youth needs all the help it can get in these uncertain and unsettling times.

Thank you, GeorgeL. I agree completely about teenagers spending more time with their grandparents. I feel so thankful that Lainey actually enjoys spending time with me, but I'm also extremely thankful that she is enjoyable to be around ..... sweet, kind and well-mannered without the "attitude", if you know what I mean. She's just a little prissy and high-maintenance, but she gets that from me so she comes by that quite naturally, LOL. I am so excited about this cruise with her and know we will have a wonderful time together and make memories we will share the rest of our lives.

Forgot to ask about the Solarium. Seems like I remember hearing or reading that no one under 16 was allowed in there. Anyone know? Thanks.

Yes, this is correct. Solarium is supposed to be "adults only" area with no one under 16 admitted.

Yes, this is correct. Solarium is supposed to be "adults only" area with no one under 16 admitted.

However, I think that with your granddaugher being almost 16 and looking the part, she will most likely be allowed to enjoy that area as well.

On itineraries where there is inclement weather, the ships sometimes have posted hours for accompanied children in the Solarium (indoor pool) -- based upon your cruise's itinerary you should not encounter this :D! On my experiences on Solstice (both European itineraries) this was pretty well enforced.

13-18YO may use spa services, but they must be booked by an adult and the services are limit to those on a special "menu"

Hope you have a great trip.

Archived