Group Cruising Dining Questions

drcbelle

Hi Everyone-

A group of our friends are cruising on the Splendor in June. They invited us in January but we weren't able to commit and missed out on the group rate. Now we are thinking we would like to go, I called Carnival and the guarantee rate is not available under the group number. So booking under the group name would cost about 400 more (total) than just booking a guarantee cabin on my own.

Obviously I want to save the money but I am wondering if there is any advantage to booking with the group at this point. The rep said that there is no guarantee even if we book with the group that we will be dining with them or that our room would be anywhere near them. So I guess my questions are:

1. If we book separate can we talk to someone on the ship when we get on about moving to one of the groups tables (late seating is still available and that is what they have)?

2. Can anyone think of ANY advantage to spending the extra money and going under the group rate.

Thanks so much.

Speak to the main person who organized this to begin with. Get their booking number and "pin."

My friends and I booked together, though not a group rate. They were able to all call in on their own, and the pin allowed my PVP to discuss my booking with them. So then she told them which cabins we had booked in (all in a row) so that they chould choose theirs accordingly, and using the booking number, she linked them to our reservation.

Another pair of friends just decided this past week they wanted to go. So they called up my PVP and are now booked in the room next to my husband and I.

There are no dinner guarantees, not even on groups or linked parties. My suggestion is to plan to board together, compare notes on where everyone is seated for dinner, and then see the Maitre'D for help if it's that important.

Keep in mind that they don't assign dining based on when you booked (first 8 people at table 1, next 8 people at table 2, and so on) so you still have a good chance to be with them when tables get assigned closer to sailing. The best way to help yourselves now is to make sure you book on the same half of the ship as them, as the aft half tends to get assigned the aft dining room, and forward of midship tends to get the midship dining room.

There is some (not many) benefits for booking as group. One is we got some onboard credit. $75 per cabin I think. We can double it if you get 16 cabins total. Another perk which was probably the best was we have until August to pay off or cancel with no penalty. We did book several months ago and it was nice to know we can cancel if we need to. There is also the option to have a private party with all inclusive benefits. Drinks and food for a couple hours for like 20 bucks each or something. Theres not many benefits, but a couple. I would do the group if possible.

All you have to do is have the agent link your booking number to the group booking number to get your seats close to the group.

(when I do group bookings we are not seated together for dining- everyone picks their own time)

Be sure to contact the Maitre D on the first night of the cruise and ask them about putting you together as a group

a group does not want to wait til boarding to get seats together. They should do this with the agent by linking the bookings together.

Waiting to get onboard--the seats are already assigned and a few people move here and there-- but to be able to seat a whole group together is very hard

• 3 weeks later...

"a group does not want to wait til boarding to get seats together. They should do this with the agent by linking the bookings together.

Waiting to get onboard--the seats are already assigned and a few people move here and there-- but to be able to seat a whole group together is very hard"

I was just told by Carnival this morning that it wouldn't help to link the bookings together - that we just needed to see the Maitre D as soon as we board the ship.:confused:

Should I call back and speak with a different rep and see if he will link them? BTW, we only have 9 people, but 4 different bookings.

Archived