Self service washers

I asked earlier, but no one seemed to answer. We are trying to decide whether to purchase unlimited laundry or use the self service. On CCL and PCL we found long lines to use the self service machines. Are there long lines on HAL to use self service washing machines?

Greatly depends on your timing. The later in the cruise, the higher demand for the machines (as people run out of clean clothes... or start to repack and want clean clothes).

I found a long line in one laundry room on Deck 5... only to move up to Deck 6 to find an empty room with more machines! How far are you willing to walk?

The machines also have a countdown clock timer. I have gone to a show while a load was washing. I sat near the back of the theater and slipped out to move my clothes to the dryer. On other occasions, I just sit and read a book during the process.

• 1 year later...
Yes, the Maasdam has a self-service laundry on some of the cabin decks. The ships that do not have these launderettes include the Vista and Signature class: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam, and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I guess this explains why I was unable to find it on the Deck Plan.

Can someone tell me if I have booked 2 7day cruises as a 14 day "Collectors" cruise can I just get laundry service for the second week? Thanks for the information.

Rather than waiting in line at the front desk for quarters I save the quarters we get in change for months before our cruise and I bring them, in film canisters or in ziplock sandwich bags.

That way I can go directly from our cabin to the launderette without having to purchase quarters.

I usually buy a couple of rolls of quarters at a bank before I leave. I am buying two roles for my up and coming trip on the Amsterdam.

Just make sure you are take your clothes out of the machines ina timely manner. The only fight I've ever seen on a cruise was in a Westerdam laundryroom. Mother Daughter pair got very irate that their laundry was taken out of the dryer. It was in the machne, stopped, the whole time my laundry was washing and drying.

Can someone tell me if I have booked 2 7day cruises as a 14 day "Collectors" cruise can I just get laundry service for the second week? Thanks for the information.

We did a 28 day Collectors voyage on the Volendam at the beginning of this year and at the beginning of the cruise they only sold the package as a 28 day package (which was more than double the 14 night price) and you couldn't buy 1/2 now and 1/2 later. BUT I was able to buy the laundry package for the 2nd leg on the first day of that part of the cruise.

I agree that having the self-serve laundermat on board is a big plus. Especially in these days of stiff fees for checking bags on airlines. You can take half or less of what you would have to otherwise. I don't mind sending dry-cleaning to the ship's laundry, but I'd rather do washables myself.

But paying to get clothes clean (self or send-away) may cost as much as an extra bag... :d

We did a 28 day Collectors voyage on the Volendam at the beginning of this year and at the beginning of the cruise they only sold the package as a 28 day package (which was more than double the 14 night price) and you couldn't buy 1/2 now and 1/2 later. BUT I was able to buy the laundry package for the 2nd leg on the first day of that part of the cruise.

Thanks for the information! I can't see that I would need laundry done until the beginning of the second week.

If we decide to do formal night onboard (rare these days), I send DH's jacket out for cleaning/pressing as soon as we board. Then I don't have to worry about stopping by the dry cleaners at home, or wrinkles in packing. I don't typically carry anything that wrinkles.

If I need normal stuff washed, I try to do the bag special, or do it myself if I need to. We typically carry very little these days.

Where I love the laundry is for the stuff that can't go in either hot water or a dryer... my bathing suit and dive suits. Lycra just needs a quick run through the washer, and it's all ready to get hung up in the bathroom to await the next dive.

Certainly can't send those to the laundry!

Wendy

Archived