White Pass & Yukon Railroad question

mimii

We're interested in taking the WP&YR in Skagway, and have decided we need to do just the trip to the summit and back. I know we cannot get off the train on this excursion, and that there is much more breathtaking scenery following through to the Yukon, but since I'm traveling with foreigners, we do not want to cross the border, so this limits our choices on the railroad itinerary.

I have the following question:

Will it be advantageous to book from WP&YR directly, rather than through the ship (Princess)? I know the exact costs, and booking directly is only slightly less expensive. I also know we will have to walk to the train depot, but I'm not concerned about either of these issues. However, I read on a thread that the direct trains might be less crowded than the Princess-dedicated ones, and we're willing to go out of our way to have a less-crowded experience. Since we're going in mid-July, perhaps every variation will be over-crowded, so it may not matter, but if you experts think booking directly could be less crowded, we'll do that.

Thank you for your time.

Mimii

It really doesn't matter too much who you book with as far as crowd control. You are going at the peak of the season and it will probably be crowded regardless. It is too bad your not going past the border, as the scenery is amazing and especially Emerald Lake.

There is no way to predict, numbers, but hopefully you will want to tour Skagway anyway, so I would take those small savings and book direct. THEN include a town visit.

IF you happen to book the noonish train, I would head downtown, early and get to the Park Service Visitor center. Sign up for a walking tour, see the movie, ranger talk etc etc. All these will greatly enhance your later train trip. Located at Broadway and Second- the former train depot and 2 buildings down from the current depot. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

When you book through Princess, You get on the train right at the pier, so very little walking. Since it might be raining, this is an advantage for me. BTW, I have done the WPRR 2 times and just the basic trip you want to go on. The scenery is fantastic and no matter what route you take it is still breath taking.

Archived