*** PHOTO review: city tour on your own - Panama City, Panama (Sunday, 4.11.2010) ***

daliflor

Your photos are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

We will be in Colon, Panama in January with Celebrity and are trying to determine if we should do an ecology tour or walk around/tour Panama. We have been on a Panama Canal cruise before but did not get off the ship in Panama as we just docked to pick up passengers on tours that day while the rest of us just stayed on the ship through the canal and locks.

If we just want to walk around Casco Viejo and Paseo de las Bovedas, can we do that on our own without a tour by walking there from the cruise ship? How far from ship to Casco Viejo? If we cannot walk to Casco Viejo, did Royal Caribbean offer a shuttle from ship to Casco Viejo? Was it safe to walk there from the ship and/or around Casco Viejo? If we cannot walk from Colon to Casco Viejo, is there something else you recommend to do in Colon?

Did you notice if they had any nice places for coffee and free wifi?

Kathy

The Casco Viejo and Las Bovedas are fairly safe and I would not be overly concerned in those areas but they are not any where you would get there without a tour since theyare all in Panama City on the Pacific side, about an hour to hour and a half ride depending on traffic. Except for the mall right where the ship docks, there really is nothing in Colon for you to strike out on your own and walk to. It would not be unsafe to hire a cab on your own but I really can't speak to how good a tour you would receive. Even sites on the Atlantic side such as Ft. San Lorenzo or Portobelo are some distance away from the port and fairly remote.

Oh my. I didn't think they would be that far apart. We'll look into something else to do. Maybe we docked at Panama City during the Panama Canal cruise because the urban part looks like what we saw from the ship. Either that or Colon is urban too.

Thanks for your reply.

Kathy

• 5 months later...

Archived