Airline rules?

sgmburt

We are flying to Seattle next weekend, headed out for our first ever Alaskan cruise. Can hardly wait! Since we seldom ever fly, can anyone tell me what to expect, as far as what we are allowed to carry on the plane? We have a small carry on bag, my purse (of course) and wanted to bring my camera. Will that be a problem? Also wondering if we can just carry our jackets, to keep from having to pack them in our checked luggage? (Trying to keep the weight down) Don't know if I'll ever figure all these rules and regulations out. :confused: Thanks for any advice...

all airlines have different rules. i would suggest you look at your airline's website.

generally, you will be allowed one carry-on and one personal item. wear your jacket. you shouldn't have problems.

We are flying to Seattle next weekend, headed out for our first ever Alaskan cruise. Can hardly wait! Since we seldom ever fly, can anyone tell me what to expect, as far as what we are allowed to carry on the plane? We have a small carry on bag, my purse (of course) and wanted to bring my camera. Will that be a problem? Also wondering if we can just carry our jackets, to keep from having to pack them in our checked luggage? (Trying to keep the weight down) Don't know if I'll ever figure all these rules and regulations out. :confused: Thanks for any advice...

First of all Sgmburt you will have a wonderful time on your Alaskan cruise! The wonders of Alaska will be awe inspiring!

I work for a regional airline and will offer some assistance.

You can carry on (or just wear it) your jacket. You can also have a small carry on and if your camera bag is not a large one, you are ok.

Now if you are starting off in a 50,70, or 90 seater CRJ (smaller jet), expect to gate check the carry on prior to boarding the aircraft. For my airline, if the carry on has wheels, it can't go in the cabin.

The gate agent will give you a tag for the carry on and you will place it either on a jet elevator or an agent will be planeside for pick up. Now when you get off the aircraft, this bag will be returned to you. Often on most of the CRJ the cabin spacing is limited. Also an accurate weight load is needed (many of the CRJ are nose heavy).

Now if you are changing to a larger aircraft (DC9,Airbus, 737,etc). You can take the carry on with you provided that it can fit in the overhead bin or under your seat.

I hope this info help!!!

At the security checkpoint, you will have to take off your shoes and outer layers like a jacket and put them on the moving belt to be Xrayed, then you walk through the metal detector, or at many airports the "whole body imager" which images your body so a TSA screener can see if you are hiding any weapon under your clothes. Be careful that you can still see your belongings while you are in this "box" for "AIT" (Advanced Imaging Technology). You can ask for a pat-down instead if you do not want the TSA to look at your nude X-ray body image. When going through the security checkpoint, it is best to put your loose keys, wallet, cellphone or any other small object inside your purse/briefcase/carry-on bag so it does not get lost or stuck or stolen as it goes through the separate Xray of your bags.

You will need to have all your "liquids, gels and aerosoles" that you want to carry onto the plane in one quart size, see-through, zip-top plastic bag, and none of the containers may have more than 3.4 ounces in them. You are supposed to take them out of your carry on bag so that the TSA can see them clearly. If you have larger than 3.4 ounce quantities of liquid medications, baby formula, special medically required liquid or gel foods, you are supposed to declare them as "medical items" at the start of the line, or at the entry to the checkpoint, and put them separately from the other quart size bag of liquids, and then they are permitted on the plane.

If you like to have a bottle of water or other beverage with you on the plane, you cannot take it through security, but must buy it on the other side of the check point. If you don't want to pay $3.00 for a bottle of water, you may take an empty water bottle through the checkpoint and then fill it at a water fountain on the other side past security.

You can indeed wear your jacket onto the plane so it doesn't count as an extra item, and you don't have to check it in your bag. You can also put some heavier items in the pockets of the jacket if you are worried about a checked bag going over the weight limit (usually 50 pounds, but varies with the airline). Most airlines now charge extra to check a bag, and a lot more if said bag is over the weight limit.

On the plane itself, you are allowed to bring one carry on bag up to 45" in linear dimensions. That is the size of a typical rollaboard suitcase, 22" (length) X 12" (width) X 9 or 10" (depth). Then you can also carry one "personal item" such as a briefcase, purse, or small backpack. Carry anything of value (cameras, computers, medications, jewelry) on board with you, as many items are stolen from checked bags. Even if you lock the suitcase, TSA will Xray it, and they will open any bag where they want to inspect a "suspicious item."

If I check a bag, I always pack enough clothing and supplies for several days in my carry-on, just in case the checked bag is lost.

It is complicated these days with all the rules. You might want to read all the rules at the TSA website.

What about a metal plate and screws in my neck? Will that make the metal detectors go off? I hadn't even thought about that! I had surgery on my spine years ago... Hmmm...?

What about a metal plate and screws in my neck? Will that make the metal detectors go off? I hadn't even thought about that! I had surgery on my spine years ago... Hmmm...?

Take a note from your doctor. My husband has rods and screws in various places and sets all the alarms off!:eek: Now he carries a note in his wallet.

Yeah-the alarm may go off. No big deal. The magic wand will examine your body and you`ll soon be on your way.

Rich

As mentioned, the metal detector may alarm, and you will be searched by wanding to be sure the only metal that alarms is in your neck (surgical site). Sometimes non-ferrous metals like titanium are used for implants and that may not alarm. The whole body imaging (WBI or AIT) is not supposed to be able to see things inside your body, just things hidden in your pockets or skin folds, so that "should not" alarm.

You can bring a note from your doctor, always a good idea, but in my experience, the TSA does not believe them ("could be a forgery") and searches you anyway.

If you have a pacemaker/defibulator (? sp.), do not go through the normal checkpoints. You must arrange IN ADVANCE with airport security to go through another line. The equipment can seriously interrupt a pacemaker (or so my mother was told by her physician, by the airlines, by TSA). So in Atlanta & in Newport News (as well as getting on & off the ship), she went through a separate line and was waiting for all of us as we had to trudge through the snail lines (especially in Atlanta).

She carried letters from three doctors (cartiologist, surgeon & internist) and a plastic card, similar to a credit card, from the company who manufactured the pacemaker saying she has a pacemaker. A representative from the airline was more than happy to accompany her through the checkpoint. It helped that we also ordered a wheelchair for her. She also carries a little machine with her that somehow "reads" the pacemaker each evening and sends a communication back to her doctor's office. Fabulous technology that's given us five more years of memories with her, and we're still counting.

You will love Alaska, beautiful beyond words! Have a fabulous time.

You do have to pay attention to the rules about liquids. Coming back a week ago, they stopped my DW for having a 4oz (3oz is the limit) toothpast tube that was clearly only about 1/4 full. They made her throw it out! No big deal, but this is being a bit too picky IMO. It seems to really depend on the security person how tough they are.

I on the other hand, was stopped for trying to get two full cans of pop through in my carryon - I forgot I had them in there - I was planning on us drinking them when we got to the airport before screening, but we did not have to wait the usual time (long story) so I just walked through security without thinking.

DaveOKC

Also if you are flying back from a Canadian Port, be sure to also check the Canadian Regulations...They are completely different from the U.S. Regs....

The U.S. TSA rules for scissors:- metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches can be carried on board in hand luggage..So, I figured my small cuticle scissor with a two inch blade was OK..

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

However, when we flew from Vancouver they confiscated it....Canadian TSA has different rules..

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Home.aspx?ID=1

You will Love Alaska!

Cheers....Betty

I've been bolted together since '95. Once in a while something goes off - never a problem - I've pointed to the scars on my neck more then once. Don't worry about it.

Yesterday at Vancouver - had my first Full Body Scan- this machine didn't even make a beep from my neck hardware....

Have a great trip.

Alaska is magical...

I've been bolted together since '95. Once in a while something goes off - never a problem - I've pointed to the scars on my neck more then once. Don't worry about it.

Yesterday at Vancouver - had my first Full Body Scan- this machine didn't even make a beep from my neck hardware....

Have a great trip.

Alaska is magical...

The new machine does not detect metal or explosives specifically, so it will not (usually) go off just because of metal implants. It is intended to detect items hidden under your clothing, like guns or bombs, but also will show adult diapers, sanitary napkins, colostomy bags...

But yes, Alaska is wonderful, worth the hassle of air travel to see it. Have a wonderful time.

Archived