Advice for Adventure Activities in Alaska

aj_furf

Hi Everyone,

I've just started to look into an Alaskan cruise with my wife. We're both in our late 20's and love getting in some high adrenaline type of excursions as part of our vacation itinerary.

I've briefly looked at some glacier trekking out of Juneau which looks like a lot of fun. Any other suggestions?

Since we haven't booked anything yet the ports of call are somewhat flexible as I'd like to find out where the best places are to go for adventure and then book a cruise that hopefully accommodates that.

Thanks!

i know you can kayak and go rock climbing and repelling in some of the ports. also in ketchikan you can do the zip-line tour. there are also rapids ( i dont know how intense ) in skagway. do a search of the ports you will be in and ''the things to do'' will let you see what is out there. also go too your cruise line and check out the tours they have. that does not say you have too book with them but it will give you an idea also what is offered in the ports. when you have an idea what you want too do a search on this thread for that activity and you will probably get an idea how good or bad the tour is. good luck and have a great time.

We need your ports.

But for further clarification- if you haven't chosen a cruise yet?? I would look at a Juneau port with an all day stop. You then can consider the ground access glacier trekking to Mendenhall. IF going with the fly in, I ONLY recommend the level 3 glacier trek which is the longest. The shorter is too short. Finally if looking at a one way, then go independently interior Alaska touring and add the glacier trekking there- that is also walk in.

Hiking is everywhere, including the Mt. Roberts climb, which will get you a cheap return on the tram. :)

Well then do your homework, on the ports. There are ONLY 6 Alaska ports for the regular 7 day cruises. AND hundreds of tour options. Take a look at several cruiseline shore excursion lists. Available right online.

We need your ports.

But for further clarification- if you haven't chosen a cruise yet?? I would look at a Juneau port with an all day stop. You then can consider the ground access glacier trekking to Mendenhall. IF going with the fly in, I ONLY recommend the level 3 glacier trek which is the longest. The shorter is too short. Finally if looking at a one way, then go independently interior Alaska touring and add the glacier trekking there- that is also walk in.

Hiking is everywhere, including the Mt. Roberts climb, which will get you a cheap return on the tram. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked into this and completely agree with you.

As I look at different options I tend to be leaning more towards a one-way cruise-tour on the Princess Diamond.

Ports would include:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay National Park

College Fjord

Anchorage (Whittier)

The tour portion includes a few days at Mt. McKinley/Denali National Park and a couple days in Fairbanks.

Any high-octane suggestions are appreciated. Again, the main point was to tailor the trip around specific activities as opposed to just picking the cruise first and then finding out what's available at those ports.

As I look at different options I tend to be leaning more towards a one-way cruise-tour on the Princess Diamond.

Ports would include:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

College Fjord

Anchorage (Whittier)

The tour portion includes a few days at Mt. McKinley/Denali National Park and a couple days in Fairbanks.

Any high-octane suggestions are appreciated. Again, the main point was to tailor the trip around specific activities as opposed to just picking the cruise first and then finding out what's available at those ports.

I agree with the cruisetour comment by Mytime. This is the most confined restrictive way to travel interior Alaska- point to point and without your own transportation. It also appears you are not informed on the cruisetours, since you mention Denali Park/Mt McKinley together, and no mention of the "tour" into the park?? With Princess these are TWO different locations, and many Princess tours only include the Worthless Natural History Tour- what EXACTLY are you looking at? If you truely want "high octane", then get to Denali Park with a rental car, and look at doing the SHUTTLE bus in, and hiking, also consider the Discovery Park tours, that can also be intense. Frankly, with your descriptions, a cruisetour- is definately NOT the way to go here.

Ports would include:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

College Fjord

Anchorage (Whittier)

Hiking is excellent in all these ports. What is the timeframe of Juneau?? I would recommend the consideration of Above and Beyond Mendenhall glacier trekking- take a look. Skagway- Upper Dewey Lake Hiking.

Archived