Back from Liberty Ship : Long Run and Gun Review

elcuchio24

Elcuchio--Thank you SO MUCH for your entertaining and enthralling review! You have a wonderful sense of humor and I found myself barely able to wait to get to the next "chapter"!!!! We don't sail on Liberty until January 2012 (a lifetime from now!), but your review has me so excited I can hardly stand it!

We're not from Maine (though I would love to live there if I could find a job!!!), but DH complains and complains and complains about the Caribbean rock lobster on cruises....while shoveling tail after tail into his mouth :rolleyes: Glad to read they've been "busted" on their Maine lobster claims! ;)

Thank you again! Go cruising again soon so I can read another one! :D

Day at Sea………

This was our first elegant night. We dressed up and headed down to the Golden Olympian around 6:45, went right to a two top and got ready for a great meal. There were various degrees of formality evident between the guests, but nothing so egregious as to make an impression. Now since this was a formal evening with Maine Lobster tail offered, and we are from Maine where lobster is as cheap as ground chuck in the summer, and my parents own a seafood company, and I worked my formative years on docks/ lobster hatcheries, our poor waiter did not know the firestorm he was walking into. My wife, who has never tried the Caribbean variety, was going to order the lobster no matter where it came from. On the menu it clearly said MAINE lobster. As our waiter came to take our orders, my wife queried “Now, we are from Maine. My in-laws own a seafood business. Is this Maine lobster tail really from Maine?” The waiter nodded, laughed, gave a big smile, and said “I hope you will sample our delicious Caribbean Rock Lobster!” We laughed too, and DW still ordered it so she could give it a try. Mystery solved, Sparkey8. It ended up being decent as Rock Lobster goes, just a little tougher and fishier then the Maine Bugs. There really is no passing it off as Maine Lobster if it’s in the shell, as Rock Lobster has a distinct mottled pattern to the tail shell you can’t miss. I went for land meat tonight, with no claws and no tamale to suck out of the head, a lone lobster tail doesn’t do much for me. I had baked stuffed mushrooms/ shrimp cocktail x2/ Hudson Valley duck/ Prime rib/ Apple puff pastry. DW had pumpkin soup/ Caesar salad/ CARIBBEAN ROCK LOBSTER TAIL/ warm chocolate melting cake.

I was on the Liberty in April and it was indeed MAINE lobster tail - and it was as sweet and tender as you get in the summer in New England (I grew up in Rhode Island so I know my lobster!) :D

I was on the Liberty in April and it was indeed MAINE lobster tail - and it was as sweet and tender as you get in the summer in New England (I grew up in Rhode Island so I know my lobster!) :D

Perhaps the price was a little high for them this time of year, who knows. Obviously you can tell the difference. Rock isn't aweful, just different.

In Maine we can have 10 traps for personal consumption without a commercial license, so we tend to get pretty spoiled in the summer :)

Thanks for this review. We'll be on the Liberty in October on the same Eastern Caribbean route as well.

Did you book your excursions through Carnival or through the tour operators themselves?

Also thanks for reviewing the Steakhouse. We went to the Emerald Supper Club on the Glory last October and it was worth every single penny and then some.

Elcuchio--Thank you SO MUCH for your entertaining and enthralling review! You have a wonderful sense of humor and I found myself barely able to wait to get to the next "chapter"!!!! We don't sail on Liberty until January 2012 (a lifetime from now!), but your review has me so excited I can hardly stand it!

We're not from Maine (though I would love to live there if I could find a job!!!), but DH complains and complains and complains about the Caribbean rock lobster on cruises....while shoveling tail after tail into his mouth :rolleyes: Glad to read they've been "busted" on their Maine lobster claims! ;)

Thank you again! Go cruising again soon so I can read another one! :D

Thanks BunkerVA, You guys will have a great time on the Liberty! Glad you enjoyed the review, its really a great ship. Our next couple trips aren't cruises but we're already planning our next one probably for early winter. Happy sailing!

Originally Posted by KarenMF View Post

I was on the Liberty in April and it was indeed MAINE lobster tail - and it was as sweet and tender as you get in the summer in New England (I grew up in Rhode Island so I know my lobster!)

Perhaps the price was a little high for them this time of year, who knows. Obviously you can tell the difference. Rock isn't aweful, just different.

In Maine we can have 10 traps for personal consumption without a commercial license, so we tend to get pretty spoiled in the summer :)

I live in Florida and I won't eat warm water lobster - it's just so not the same! You can take the girl out of New England, but you can't take the New England out of the girl! :)

How do u order Beefeaters from Bon Voyage? Didn't think u could order other booze besides wine/bubbly?

You order through the Bon Voyage department. Carnival does not advertise it so not everyone knows about it. If you search the threads under 'Bon Voyage' you'll find the phone number and price lists. You have to call the number, you can't order online if you want liquor. The prices are higher than land, but nothing close to what you'd pay at the bar on the ship. Our bottle of Beefeater was $38. Highly recomended!

I live in Florida and I won't eat warm water lobster - it's just so not the same! You can take the girl out of New England, but you can't take the New England out of the girl! :)

Your right, they don't compare!

Archived