luggage storage at Salisbury train station

Does anyone know if there is luggage storage at the Salisbury train station? We are taking the train to Bath from Southampton after our Baltic cruise. We want to stop in Salisbury to see the city & also visit Stonehenge from Salisbury. I've been searching in this forum & can't find the answer. Also tried emailing South West train co. but haven't heard from them yet.

Thanks for your help

barbara

Does anyone know if there is luggage storage at the Salisbury train station? We are taking the train to Bath from Southampton after our Baltic cruise. We want to stop in Salisbury to see the city & also visit Stonehenge from Salisbury. I've been searching in this forum & can't find the answer. Also tried emailing South West train co. but haven't heard from them yet.

Thanks for your help

barbara

Check here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sal/details.html

and when you open the folder (down) "General services information" you can see that there is no left luggage available.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks for your help

barbara

Hi Barbara,

As Heinbloed's reply, there's no left-luggage facility at Salisbury rail station - its a frequent problem in the UK.

But you can leave luggage at the Cat Tavern, a pub on the rail station forecourt approach (address is 115 South Western Road, Salisbury SP2 7RR) at a charge of £2 per piece.

This info is on the web, for example at http://www.salisburyguidedtours.com/stonehenge-2.htm

but the pub itself has no website or e-mail. Their phone number is 01722 327955

I'm reasonably local so I've just phoned the pub to confirm that the info is current - yep, no problem, £2 per piece, pub is open 8am til 11pm, 7 days a week.

Conveniently, the hop-on/off Stonehenge bus runs hourly (1/2hrly in summer) from the rail station.

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

It's a circular route & also offers the opportunity to see Old Sarum, a typical ancient Wiltshire defensive earthworks & the original site of Salisbury. If you use the bus, take it to Stonehenge. Then when you return, get off at Salisbury bus station to look round the city & cathedral, then depending on time you can walk back to the rail station.

John Bull

Left luggage facilities were removed during the IRA bombings in the 70s and 80s and have not been re-instated generally. You may also notice that on railway stations there are no litter bins as such - just hangers with clear plastic bags (for the same reason).

Edited by SteveH2508
grammar

Thanks for your quick replies. I had a feeling there weren't any "left luggage" facilities any longer. Thanks John Bull for going the extra mile & finding a pub nearby that will hold the luggage for us. You all are a fountain of information. I've appreciated all your posts on the UK & Europe.

• 6 years later...
Hi Barbara,

As Heinbloed's reply, there's no left-luggage facility at Salisbury rail station - its a frequent problem in the UK.

But you can leave luggage at the Cat Tavern, a pub on the rail station forecourt approach (address is 115 South Western Road, Salisbury SP2 7RR) at a charge of £2 per piece.

This info is on the web, for example at http://www.salisburyguidedtours.com/stonehenge-2.htm

but the pub itself has no website or e-mail. Their phone number is 01722 327955

I'm reasonably local so I've just phoned the pub to confirm that the info is current - yep, no problem, £2 per piece, pub is open 8am til 11pm, 7 days a week.

Conveniently, the hop-on/off Stonehenge bus runs hourly (1/2hrly in summer) from the rail station.

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

It's a circular route & also offers the opportunity to see Old Sarum, a typical ancient Wiltshire defensive earthworks & the original site of Salisbury. If you use the bus, take it to Stonehenge. Then when you return, get off at Salisbury bus station to look round the city & cathedral, then depending on time you can walk back to the rail station.

John Bull

John is this still the case? I see the post is from a few years ago. We would be interested in securing our luggage after a cruise for a trip to Stonehenge. J

John is this still the case? I see the post is from a few years ago. We would be interested in securing our luggage after a cruise for a trip to Stonehenge. J

Hi, Jean,

I checked just a few weeks ago in response to another member That recent thread is buried "somewhere" on this forum.

Yes, still valid :)

JB :)

Edit: just re-read that 7 year old thread, noticed the "£2 per bag". Nowadays its closer to the average elsewhere. I think £4 per bag.

Edited by John Bull

• 1 year later...

Was just in Salisbury on Sunday, June 10th, 2017 and the Cat Tavern was closed (so couldn't leave luggage). Some folks on the street told my family and I that Cat Tavern is often closed these days? Anyway, we left our luggage with Railway Tavern (135 S Western Rd, Salisbury SP2 7RR, UK), just a few doors up from Cat Tavern. It's even closer to the rail station. I think the cost was about 4 pounds per person. Worked out great!

Was just in Salisbury on Sunday, June 10th, 2017 and the Cat Tavern was closed (so couldn't leave luggage). Some folks on the street told my family and I that Cat Tavern is often closed these days? Anyway, we left our luggage with Railway Tavern (135 S Western Rd, Salisbury SP2 7RR, UK), just a few doors up from Cat Tavern. It's even closer to the rail station. I think the cost was about 4 pounds per person. Worked out great!

Cat Tavern closed for good earlier this year and the Railway Tavern has taken over the left-luggage duties.

And yes, the Railway Tavern is a few doors closer to the station - you can see it from the ho-ho stop on Station Approach.

One important factor. Railway Tavern doesn't open 'til noon, so you need to knock the door.

JB :)

We just returned from our cruise in June and thanks to John Bull responding to my inquiry we used the Railway Tavern to store luggage while we toured Stonehenge and Salisbury. It could not have been easier. We arrived around 9:30 a.m. and there is a sign on door to knock if tavern was not open which we did. They answered promptly and stored our luggage for us for the day. The cost was 3 GBP per bag. Would highly recommend storing bags here. Thanks again John Bull.